The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

31 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Just think, they may bring it back for the ray tracing novelty! :p

26 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Quake III Arena at least?

25 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

But like you said I gotta get the card for the buff.

Someone added RT to Q3A 13 years ago, noobs. :p 

13 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

AMD's new processors they are launching within a month will most likely be the go-to option 8 months from now.  I would start the budget as such at a minimum:

$350 CPU (AMD Ryzen 3 8+ cores)

$150 Motherboard (AMD B550)

$80 CPU Cooler (Very good air cooler or mediocre water cooler)

$125 RAM (32GB, at least 3200 MHz but preferably 3600 MHz)

$150 NVME SSD (1TB)

$100 Case (Good airflow)

$100 Power Supply (80 Plus Gold or Plat, minimum 650W)

$700 RTX 3080 

$1750 tentative total.

Currently SSD and RAM prices have been falling, so hopefully they continue until next year.  Power supply prices have increased because of supply issues, so hopefully that is resolved and they get cheaper next year.

Would a 650W PSU realistically be sufficient? The 3080 and 3090 are absolute power hogs (the 3090's 'minimum' is 750W, but tests have shown system power draws spike well past that).   

I’m happy about the EVGA thing, I signed up for the notification as soon as it was available.... buuuuuut, the notifications are going out from 10am-6pm PST, and I’ve been going to bed at like 8pm EST since I wake up at 3:30-4am now... so, I’ll probably get my notification at 9pm EST :lol:... :cry:

4 hours ago, morph89 said:

Would a 650W PSU realistically be sufficient? The 3080 and 3090 are absolute power hogs (the 3090's 'minimum' is 750W, but tests have shown system power draws spike well past that).   

If not overclocking, then a premium 650W is sufficient but I'd definitely consider it a minimum for either card.  3090 is certainly more power hungry than the 3080 so the 750W is probably warranted, especially for pre-overclocked cards, but may not be necessary.  A good power supply should be able to handle those transient spikes, and the best ones should be able to deliver beyond their rated wattage.  Bigger wouldn't hurt, but depending on what the rest of your system is like may not be necessary.

Now If overclocking, at all, especially if you raise voltages on the CPU/GPU or power targets on the GPU, then definitely go bigger.

6 hours ago, legend said:

Cyberpowerpc has started assembling my PC apparently, so they might actually make good on their estimated October 12 shipping date! In which case my unconventional approach may have paid off!

I was joking with a friend that I should use my Dell account to get a 3080 computer and take the card and give the PC with my current 5700XT to either him or another friend.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I was joking with a friend that I should use my Dell account to get a 3080 computer and take the card and give the PC with my current 5700XT to either him or another friend.

doit GIF

5 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@legend I wonder if you could have quad 3090s in this case?

And then run all the AIs!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Yeah that guy has piles of them he doesn't even bother opening them anymore!

It's why I got annoyed at the Jay, Linus, and the gamer nexus guy. Easy for you to say it's not a necessity. It isn't in fairness but when you go out of you way to get a product you are hyped about. End up not being able to get it because there isn't enough stock, no preorders were taken, Best Buy keeps their cards for their shitty online store, MC have a limited amount of cards, and the website you woke up early for/stayed up for goes from notify me to OOS in secs because of bots. You are damn right to be mad.

Easy for them to say it's not worth getting mad about when you get atleast 1 card sent to you for free.

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It's why I got annoyed at the Jay, Linus, and the gamer nexus guy. Easy for you to say it's not a necessity. It isn't in fairness but when you go out of you way to get a product you are hyped about. End up not being able to get it because there isn't enough stock, no preorders were taken, Best Buy keeps their cards for their shitty online store, MC have a limited amount of cards, and the website you woke up early for/stayed up for goes from notify me to OOS in secs because of bots. You are damn right to be mad.

Easy for them to say it's not worth getting mad about when you get atleast 1 card sent to you for free.

From what i can see they get at least 1 from each company.

4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I legitimately can’t imagine being mad you can’t buy a toy :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I legitimately can’t imagine being mad you can’t buy a toy :p 

It's of a combo of disappointment and annoyance of not being having a chance to get it. Plus the frustration of occasionally finding the cards adding to cart and you can't check out because its OOS by the time you click on checkout. 

Those are the ones that piss me off.  

14 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I really do not see a reason to be angry. Slightly perturbed, sure. Unless you could use a 3090 for work I don't see a point in stressing about this to an extreme. The only reason I took the time to make a bot earlier was primarily because I wanted to see if I could.

Ultimately these guys getting a bunch of cards doesn't really hurt the situation all that much anyway once you look at the full scale of things.