The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

How do I set it to just monitor the out-of-stock button?

Advanced > Custome Mode > Selector > Pick > click on the part of the page you want monitored.

Also it works far better if you set it up to monitor individual item pages rather than the page that has all of neweggs 3080s for example. It takes a bit of time to set it up, but it's worth it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Advanced > Custome Mode > Selector > Pick > click on the part of the page you want monitored.

Also it works far better if you set it up to monitor individual item pages rather than the page that has all of neweggs 3080s for example. It takes a bit of time to set it up, but it's worth it.

Be careful though because if you ping the site too much, it'll block you.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Also Nvidia-snatcher is free and you can download it off Github. I used it and it was ok, but really the best solution is just to set up apple pay and keep refreshing the Newegg app. 

Not everyone has apple products and that limits you to only newegg, why limit yourself to like 1/10th of the supply? Plus newegg has been cancelling tons and tons of orders.

I also already mentioned not to set refresh faster than 20 seconds for anything but amazon.

6 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Not everyone has apple products and that limits you to only newegg, why limit yourself to like 1/10th of the supply? Plus newegg has been cancelling tons and tons of orders.

I also already mentioned not to set refresh faster than 20 seconds for anything but amazon.

Yeah, I know not everyone can use Apple. I even listed another method and didn't contradict the other suggestions ITT. Apple Pay on Newegg is just the best imo. The reasons I'd limit myself to just Newegg if I had to do it again are because 1) Apple Pay takes literally less than 2 seconds. 2) every other alternative requires you to go through a very long checkout process and most of them (e.g. all of the manufacturer websites) get totally frozen with lag and crashing making the checkout process near-impossible. The only exception I know of is Amazon but then you have to deal with a lot of false positives being sold by private sellers with markup, etc. 3) It's easier and much less stressful to just set up Newegg mobile and check it every hour and when large drops are scheduled imo.

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

Yeah, I know not everyone can use Apple. I even listed another method and didn't contradict the other suggestions ITT. Apple Pay on Newegg is just the best imo. The reasons I'd limit myself to just Newegg if I had to do it again are because 1) Apple Pay takes literally less than 2 seconds. 2) every other alternative requires you to go through a very long checkout process and most of them (e.g. all of the manufacturer websites) get totally frozen with lag and crashing making the checkout process near-impossible. The only exception I know of is Amazon but then you have to deal with a lot of false positives being sold by private sellers with markup, etc. 3) It's easier and much less stressful to just set up Newegg mobile and check it every hour and when large drops are scheduled imo.

That's the thing though, you just got really lucky, these drops are completely random and most definitely not happening on the hour. 

I'm happy it worked for you but that's not going to work for most people.

Just now, thedarkstark said:

That's the the thing, you just got really lucky, these drops are completely random and most definitely not happening on the hour. 

I'm happy it worked for you but that's not going to work for most people.

They are often happening on the hour. A few of the ones I missed previously happened on the hour as well. And @stepee and I both got lucky on the same exact drop with the same exact strategy, so I'd say it's a good one and not just pure luck. Not to say that luck isn't necessary too.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

They are often happening on the hour. A few of the ones I missed previously happened on the hour as well. And @stepee and I both got lucky on the same exact drop with the same exact strategy, so I'd say it's a good one and not just pure luck. Not to say that luck isn't necessary too.

Buddy... I dare you to try and get another one. There are 10,000 people in this discord server trying to get one and everyone who is able is using apple pay, following the discord, set up distill/page monitor, etc. etc. With no luck, there are 270 confirmed orders out of 10k people

Again you just got really really lucky. And yes apple pay on the newegg app is definitely one of the better methods as confirmed by newegg themselves and some people on the server who have had success but you're quite litterally putting all your eggs in one very very very small basket.

I got a 3080 order in also by using page monitor, it just happens to be shipping later than yours. I'm just trying to help people get cards and keep them out of the hands of scalpers but you're making it sound way way easier than it actually is for most people. 

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

Buddy... I dare you to try and get another one. There are 10,000 people in this discord server trying to get one and everyone who is able is using apple pay, following the discord, set up distill/page monitor, etc. etc. With no luck, there are 270 confirmed orders out of 10k people

Again you just got really really lucky. And yes apple pay on the newegg app is definitely one of the better methods as confirmed by newegg themselves and some people on the server who have had success but you're quite litterally putting all your eggs in one very very very small basket.

I'd say it's a pretty moderately-sized basket, and it's a much less stressful and time consuming basket, but all the options are there for anybody to choose. I'm just giving my personal advice as someone who tried almost everything. Dunno why you seem to be getting upset about it.

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'd say it's a pretty moderately-sized basket, and it's a much less stressful and time consuming basket, but all the options are there for anybody to choose. I'm just giving my personal advice as someone who tried almost everything. Dunno why you seem to be getting upset about it.

Not upset, but you're using anecdotal evidence as fact.

"I got a card therefore it's easy and everyone will get one" 

It happening on the hour was pure coincidence. You're giving people bad advice and false hope by suggesting otherwise.

2 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Not upset, but you're using anecdotal evidence as fact.

I can't see where I did this. Can you quote me directly?

"I got a card therefore it's easy and everyone will get one" 

None of my claims in this thread imply anything like this quote. Please try reading and responding to what I actually write.

It happening on the hour was pure coincidence. You're giving people bad advice and false hope by suggesting otherwise.

It has happened on the hour multiple times. I was in 3 different discords full of people trying to get this card and many/most people in those discords jumped on newegg every hour because of this widely-noticed observation. You'll notice I also recommended they do it all throughout the day and emphasized "but mostly on the hour every hour" to further increase their chances. 

I'm not giving people false hope. I'm acknowledging that most people don't have a lot of time to try multiple different strategies and obsess about this card as I did and I'm giving them a low stress, time-efficient alternative that will still have a great chance of working out for them imo.

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

I can't see where I did this. Can you quote me directly?

None of my claims in this thread imply anything like this quote. Please try reading and responding to what I actually write.

It has happened on the hour multiple times. I was in 3 different discords full of people trying to get this card and many/most people in those discords jumped on newegg every hour because of this widely-noticed observation. You'll notice I also recommended they do it all throughout the day and emphasized "but mostly on the hour every hour" to further increase their chances. 

I'm not giving people false hope. I'm acknowledging that most people don't have a lot of time to try multiple different strategies and obsess about this card as I did and I'm giving them a low stress, time-efficient alternative that will still have a great chance of working out for them imo.

I was obviously being hyperbolic apologies if it seemed agressive, not my intent.

But you're suggesting to manually refresh numerous pages on the hour every hour and also randomly at other times is easier and less stressful then following a discord server one time, setting up a page monitor 1 time, and then having them just automatically notify you when it's in stock?

I don't really know how to respond to that, it's baffling to me. I conceded that apple pay/the app is great, because it automates checkout, so why wouldn't you want to automate locating the product in the first place?

Like I guess you're getting tons of false reports? If you set it up right that's not an issue, I get 1 or 2 a day when a site crashes due to traffic but that's it.

2 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I'm with thedarkstark here... I dare you to get another one @Rev  

Please let me know ASAP if you do.  

Also, wtf is going on here?  

Rev: Here's a tip for how I was able to get a 3080

Rando: fuck your advice, it doesn't work for everyone.

I haven't been around in quite awhile but I've been part of this community for like 2 decades bud, back when most people here used to post on IGN PCGB/CB.

4 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

If i was able to save enough for a new PC next year what would be a good setup if i wanted the 3080?

You really need to have a budget in mind, it can range from $500 for a low end to $2000 and up. Pick a range and we can build you something.

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I was obviously being hyperbolic apologies if it seemed agressive, not my intent.

No problem.

But you're suggesting to manually refresh numerous pages on the hour every hour and also randomly at other times is easier and less stressful then following a discord server one time, setting up a page monitor 1 time, and then having them just automatically notify you when it's in stock?

I don't really know how to respond to that, it's baffling to me. I conceded that apple pay/the app is great, because it automates checkout, so why wouldn't you want to automate locating the product in the first place?

Like I guess you're getting tons of false reports? If you set it up right that's not an issue, I get 1 or 2 a day when a site crashes due to traffic but that's it.

I personally found Amazon pretty annoying because the majority of updates were from independent sellers with increased prices, but I acknowledged that the suggestion already existed in the chat and people are free to choose it over my suggestion if they prefer it. 

Once I started trying Newegg, it became my main strategy, because all I had to do was keep refreshing the same page on my phone every so often as I did other things. I could do it while playing games on my PC or out shopping or whatever. All I had to do was keep the app open and pull down on the screen every so often. And when the card showed up, it's literally 3 super fast button presses. I think this is the simplest solution by a mile for people who have Apple. But, again, all the other suggestions and reasons for those suggestions already existed in the chat for people to choose. I just shared my favorite.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

No problem.

I personally found Amazon pretty annoying because the majority of updates were from independent sellers with increased prices, but I acknowledged that the suggestion already existed in the chat and people are free to choose it over my suggestion if they prefer it. 

Once I started trying Newegg, it became my main strategy, because all I had to do was keep refreshing the same page on my phone every so often as I did other things. I could do it while playing games on my PC or out shopping or whatever. All I had to do was keep the app open and pull down on the screen ever so often. And when the card showed up, it's literally 3 super fast button presses. I think this is the simplest solution by a mile for people who have Apple. But, again, all the other suggestions and reasons for those suggestions already existed in the chat for people to choose. I just shared my favorite.

Fair enough and yeah I wasn't trying to suggest it was bad idea or that mine was better, just that I know how hard these things are to get unfortunately and using every tool at your disposal is the best way to ensure success. 

We want the same thing buds to get cards :hug:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

You really need to have a budget in mind, it can range from $500 for a low end to $2000 and up. Pick a range and we can build you something.

I'm probably going to need to save around $2000 so maybe around June of next year if I'm lucky. Starting next month i just need to set aside $200+ each month.

4 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm probably going to need to save around $2000 so maybe around June of next year if I'm lucky.

I hate to kick a man when he is down but you will need a monitor or TV that can use it to its fullest. So your looking at another $700 ish to $1000 on top of the build cost. Honestly if the new consoles live up to the hype it would be cheaper and you could get a high end TV to match for less then your budget. Just food for thought.

• Like 1

Also it doesn't make sense to pick parts now if you're not going to purchase them for 8 months because things change quickly in the tech world, there might be something that's newer, better, AND cheaper 8 months from now. Perfect example: the 3080 is newer, better, and WAY cheaper than the 2080ti. So if you had planned a build a months ago you'd be overpaying for an overpriced underpowered card.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I hate to kick a man when he is down but you will need a monitor or TV that can use it to its fullest. So your looking at another $700 ish to $1000 on top of the build cost. Honestly if the new consoles live up to the hype it would be cheaper and you could get a high end TV to match for less then your budget. Just food for thought.

I have the PS 5 preordered but i would like to eventually have a decent PC again. I might be able to save more but it all depends on OT and holiday pay. I definitely should get a 4K sometime next year. 

4 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Also it doesn't make sense to pick parts now if you're not going to purchase them for 8 months because things change quickly in the tech world, there might be something that's newer, better, AND cheaper 8 months from now. Perfect example: the 3080 is newer, better, and WAY cheaper than the 2080ti. So if you had planned a build a months ago you'd be overpaying for an overpriced underpowered card.

@Remarkableriots

This is great advice, get a budget, save and then plan out the build.

AMD's new processors they are launching within a month will most likely be the go-to option 8 months from now.  I would start the budget as such at a minimum:

$350 CPU (AMD Ryzen 3 8+ cores)

$150 Motherboard (AMD B550)

$80 CPU Cooler (Very good air cooler or mediocre water cooler)

$125 RAM (32GB, at least 3200 MHz but preferably 3600 MHz)

$150 NVME SSD (1TB)

$100 Case (Good airflow)

$100 Power Supply (80 Plus Gold or Plat, minimum 650W)

$700 RTX 3080 

$1750 tentative total.

Currently SSD and RAM prices have been falling, so hopefully they continue until next year.  Power supply prices have increased because of supply issues, so hopefully that is resolved and they get cheaper next year.

• Like 1