Sony opens site to register for the "opportunity" to pre-order a PS5

Commissar SFLUFAN

I decided to create a separate thread for this apart from the main PS5 megathread.

Register for an opportunity to be one of the first to pre-order your PS5™ console from PlayStation.

There will be a limited quantity of PS5 consoles available for pre-order, so we will be inviting some of our existing consumers to be one of the first to pre-order one from PlayStation.

Pre-order reservations will be taken on a first-come-first-serve basis, so once you get an invite via email, we encourage you to follow instructions and act fast.

If you are interested in receiving an invitation, register below.

If selected, we will contact you via email with instructions and details.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They were saying it was going to be a limited supply even before the pandemic really hit. Ebayers are going to make a lot of money this fall.

Launch systems always tend to be in short supply, sans the PS3 (lol). Yet there was word that they were upping production runs and I personally had no issue scoring around 4 PS4 at launch for my coworkers. Yet this makes me think it's going to be even worse than normal. 

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Launch systems always tend to be in short supply, sans the PS3 (lol). Yet there was word that they were upping production runs and I personally had no issue scoring around 4 PS4 at launch for my coworkers. Yet this makes me think it's going to be even worse than normal. 

Yes... because they've been saying so.  This is from April

PS5 prospective customers may have to be quick to pre-order Sony's next-generation console whenever that will be possible, lest they remain without a unit for quite some time.

A new report published this morning by Bloomberg suggests PS5 consoles availability will be far more limited at launch than previous PlayStation console debuts. Contrarily to what you could have guessed, though, it is not because of supply chain issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to the sources cited by Bloomberg, the production capacity for the PS5 hasn't been affected by the pandemic, while the promotional plans have. However, the decision to limit production to about 5 to 6 million console units by March 2021 is rather due to the PS5's high price, which may sit between $499 and $549. Sony has apparently struggled with increased component prices. There's also a chance both the PS5 and Microsoft's Xbox Series X will end up being priced $450, according to Macquarie Capital analyst Damien Thong, though that would mean both companies selling at a loss (which wouldn't be a first in the console business, by the way).

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes... because they've been saying so.  This is from April

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/15/21325260/sony-ps5-oculus-stock-orders-manufacturing-increase#:~:text=Share All sharing options for,PS5 production by 50 percent&text=Sony is ordering at least,reports in the Japanese press.

Sony is ordering at least 50 percent more PlayStation 5 consoles than it had originally planned to ship this year, according to reports in the Japanese press. While the company was expecting to produce around six million consoles in 2020, Nikkei says that the figure is now at about nine million, while Bloomberg says it could reach 10 million.

:sun:

6 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I doubt it says its anywhere, but would you be surprised if they intend to filter the entries to give the consoles to their biggest fans? 

It would be a pretty crappy thing to do.

Maybe if they filtered out tags made from today but, who's to say person who has a PS4 isn't a bigger fan than some guy who bought a PS3 and didn't game as much or some guy who wanted to make a new PSN tag because they didn't like their old one (which was the only option back in the day)? I know MMG did that. :p

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I doubt it says its anywhere, but would you be surprised if they intend to filter the entries to give the consoles to their biggest fans? 

Anything they can do to keep consoles out of scalpers hands is fine by me.  I'm a little worried about console preorders after what happened with the Switch and the pandemic(scalpers using bots to suck up all the stock). 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Where does it say they are giving them away to people who have played Playstation the most?

Well this line in their FAQ made me think they will have some sort of screening for who gets in.  Not just a simply first come first serve basis.

Who will be selected to receive an invitation?

Our selection is based on previous interests and PlayStation activities.