~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

Just now, johnny said:

DC and PR statehood please 

If that isn't top of the agenda (after covid relief obviously), then I don't even know what they're doing.

And I will completely love watching Republicans invent reasons why PR and DC shouldn't be states because it's obviously not about them both being very blue-leaning. Surely not.

Also, the last PR state referendum baaaaarely passed, and it only had like 50% voter turnout. I would assume they would hold another one. I wonder what the turnout will be if there's actually a legit chance of becoming a state actually happening.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If that isn't top of the agenda (after covid relief obviously), then I don't even know what they're doing.

And I will completely love watching Republicans invent reasons why PR and DC shouldn't be states because it's obviously not about them both being very blue-leaning. Surely not.

Also, the last PR state referendum baaaaarely passed, and it only had like 50% voter turnout. I would assume they would hold another one. I wonder what the turnout will be if there's actually a legit chance of becoming a state actually happening.

It's hard to gauge how much people on the island want be m to become a state when they've spent the last presidency being treated like they aren't wanted. Even then, a 52% win is a larger margin than some of Biden's wins, so the percentage doesn't really matter as long as it passed. The island has been hemorrhaging people since Hurricane Maria and Trump's abysmal reaction to it. The last time a vote over this was held while Trump wasn't president 54% wanted a change and 61% cost that if a change were to happen, they'd prefer statehood. The status quo folks are afraid that taxes are going to be raised once they become a state.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yes.  I'd support PR becoming a state, but I can't support DC becoming one. 

I can get behind DC not being a state as long as the federal land gets carved out to make the rest of the city where people actually live and work a new state.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I used to live in DC. I thought we were friends brah. :(

I've only ever driven through DC twice and they were both shitty times.  I was once almost had a job interview in the metro area, but the company I was interviewing with wasn't willing to pay for mileage and a hotel.  Fuck DC.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I've only ever driven through DC twice and they were both shitty times.  I was once almost had a job interview in the metro area, but the company I was interviewing with wasn't willing to pay for mileage and a hotel.  Fuck DC.

fuck u doe?

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The amendment grants electoral votes to the district.  If you make the district a state, those EVs don't go away.  

No you really are misunderstanding the bill.

There will be a significantly smaller, less populated district with the 3 evs per the 23rd and also a DC state. There's nothing in the text of the amendment or elsewhere of a minimum size or population for states or the federal district, and DC is in fact less populated now than when the amendment was ratified.