~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

Can we take the time to appreciate this?

After Biden was projected to be the winner, there was some euphoria, but there was still a lot of pessimism because of the Senate. So many races were winnable or seemed winnable -- Maine especially, but also North Carolina, Montana, Iowa, South Carolina, Texas, Montana, Mississippi, even Alaska as a long shot -- and if any two looked likeliest to flip, I think many would have sooner put Maine and Colorado instead of Arizona and Colorado. And I saw reporters or numbers people surprised as how down Democrats seemed that they did something as rare as unseat an incumbent president, even though there was ample reason to be disappointed -- we all remember the 2015/2016 obstruction, even moreso than the rest of the years because of how many judges were held up.

Control of the Senate came down to two seats in Georgia, one of which was up again in 2022, and even though it went for Biden, it was close and Georgia isn't a reliable Democratic state at all, so many geared up for at most one seat possibly changing hands.

And both fucking did. And there was no stress that night: we all saw Democratic overperform and Republicans underperform throughout the state. Cabinet picks? Much easier. Judges? They'll be going through. Breyer Supreme Court seat? Should be easier to replace now. Someone like Clarence Thomas drops dead suddenly (we have to be honest at the possibility considering Rehnquist, Scalia, and Ginsburg) those first two years? Dem Senate.

The Senate was clearly more important than the House based on Cabinet/judges alone, and it was flipped. Dunno how the 2022 Senate elections will go, but regardless, getting a Dem Senate for any period of time is a huge deal as we now know, and it happened because of the Peach State.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

And both fucking did. And there was no stress that night: we all saw Democratic overperform and Republicans underperform throughout the state. Cabinet picks? Much easier. Judges? They'll be going through. Breyer Supreme Court seat? Should be easier to replace now. Someone like Clarence Thomas drops dead suddenly (we have to be honest at the possibility considering Rehnquist, Scalia, and Ginsburg) those first two years? Dem Senate.

I am with you that I am super happy about having Democratic control in the House, Senate, and White House going forward when all three seemed impossible in 2016 to get back and two seemed impossible to get after Dems got the House in 2018. But, like during the Obama years, I feel Biden and the Dems will waste this opportunity to play patty cakes and "compromise" with Republicans, who always seem to set the tone and agenda. Watch us go constantly for moderate Dems and "sane-minded" conservative Republicans as choices for judges, etc. and we should be grateful? And don't bet on Breyer being a guarantee - RBG should have resigned/retired during the Obama years and didn't, and now we have Coney Barrett because RBG was an idiot, and on the flipside couldn't live like 5 more months? Great.

It's better than Trump, but it's such a far cry from what we need. But I'd be happy to be surprised.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Can we take the time to appreciate this?

After Biden was projected to be the winner, there was some euphoria, but there was still a lot of pessimism because of the Senate. So many races were winnable or seemed winnable -- Maine especially, but also North Carolina, Montana, Iowa, South Carolina, Texas, Montana, Mississippi, even Alaska as a long shot -- and if any two looked likeliest to flip, I think many would have sooner put Maine and Colorado instead of Arizona and Colorado. And I saw reporters or numbers people surprised as how down Democrats seemed that they did something as rare as unseat an incumbent president, even though there was ample reason to be disappointed -- we all remember the 2015/2016 obstruction, even moreso than the rest of the years because of how many judges were held up.

Control of the Senate came down to two seats in Georgia, one of which was up again in 2022, and even though it went for Biden, it was close and Georgia isn't a reliable Democratic state at all, so many geared up for at most one seat possibly changing hands.

The Senate was clearly more important than the House based on Cabinet/judges alone, and it was flipped. Dunno how the 2022 Senate elections will go, but regardless, getting a Dem Senate for any period of time is a huge deal as we now know, and it happened because of the Peach State.

I'm telling you, the Ossoff and Warnock victories are still pinch me because I think I'm dreaming level amazing. Georgia now has TWO Democratic Senators: One is a 33 year old Jew and the other is a black pastor. I still can't believe it.

So we should get a decision on NY-22s race this week, as there are ~1200 potential votes left to count because of a DMV registration screw up in 1 county where people registered but somewhere along the line didn't get entered into the system and I shit you not, Tenney is arguing that the courts don't have the power to decide which votes can be counted.  Again, a republican in the year 2021 is saying the courts can't influence the vote count, lol.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...