PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Its gonna be a long, long time before that team works on anything but GoW. Barlog has said multiple times he envisions a 5 part story, which would be cool if they stay around the same length. I’d like to see them not go overboard and tell a larger overall story made of multiple more personal, mid-length stories.

Yeah I know, but I can dream . . . perhaps this second San Diego studio could do it. A real good B-team. 

12 hours ago, Brick said:

Five part story? That seems a bit excessive. Unless they really change up the formula after the second or third game, I can see people getting worn out the way they did by the time Ascension came out. 

Really? Final Fantasy and DQ have been doing that for 30 years and dtill sell gangbusters. And then there’s CoD and its brethren. 

If it's a story worth five parts, then go for it. Doesn't mean they have to follow exactly what they did for GOW4 for all five parts. A story involving one character that goes on for five parts or more is rare but not unheard of (MGS). Wouldn't really matter if it wasn't done before GOW, anyway.

Plus, GOW: Ascension wasn't a victim of burnout. It was a victim of not being that great.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:03 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I hadn't heard that - definitely interested in seeing this new studio open up. 

I also think they will join the fold - I've always been surprised they didn't in the past (similar to Insomniac). I am also similarly thrilled!

As a huge fan of the original two Getaway games (from 2002 and 2004), I say do it! I haven't played it because I don't have VR (yet) but I've heard good things about the game. I've waited for SIE London Studio to make a sequel (or spiritual sequel, in this case) ever since and we finally got one. That it's the best reviewed of the three games makes it even more enticing.

As much as I love God of War, I do wish SIE San Diego Studio would go back to The Mark of Kri - I really liked that game. I know a different company made a sequel, Rise of the Kasai, but it was a good bit worse since it wasn't made by SIE San Diego. At least we got Blood & Truth.

I'm very much considering it! Gotta decide within the next couple weeks when my first certificate expires.

Also, I might be missing something, but San Diego did Mark of Kri while Santa Monica did GOW. Wouldn't be a conflict there. 

21 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Hopefully they jump around to other cultures shown in the art within that one temple/dungeon 

I think they absolutely will when they're done with the Norse stuff. I can't remember if it was Barlog or not, but someone from the GoW team mentioned wanting to do Egyptian mythology. 

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games. 
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.

Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles. 

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Is the PlayStation Camera for PS4 compatible with PS5?

Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adaptor that will be provided at no additional cost to PS VR users. More details on how to get the adaptor will be announced at a later date.

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games. 
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.

Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles. 

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Is the PlayStation Camera for PS4 compatible with PS5?

Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adaptor that will be provided at no additional cost to PS VR users. More details on how to get the adaptor will be announced at a later date.

That wording is very deliberate to me... like it specifically mentions the controllers and camera but what about the VR headest itself?

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That wording is very deliberate to me... like it specifically mentions the controllers and camera but what about the VR headest itself?

I didn't notice that, but I think because I remember Cerny confirming the headset to be BC:

Specifically, I ask if there will be a next-gen PSVR to go alongside this next console. “I won't go into the details of our VR strategy today,” he says, “beyond saying that VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console.”

• Thanks 1

BC rumor:

Unbenannt.PNG

If you're reading that going, "Who's Lance McDonald?" Here's context from a Reset user:

"just in case people are not aware, Lance McDonald is well known for hacking ps games to show hidden content. he did most of the work disassembling PT, Bloodborne and similar, you can see his work here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkCGO21T72E2hcJyBNzM1gA/videos

i wouldn't be surprised to know he has insider information. he spends a lot of time inside the guts of the the ps consoles working out how to break them in novel ways."

Though this sounds like what Cerny talked about anyway.

• Thanks 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/08/05/sony-shares-sit-at-a-19-year-high-as-market-eyes-playstation-5-launch.html

Sony shares are sitting at their highest level since June 2001, despite a dip on Wednesday. Analysts say there could be further upside in the next year as Sony prepares to launch the flagship PlayStation 5 games console.

The Japanese electronics giant posted better-than-expected earnings on Tuesday for the April to June quarter and provided an outlook ahead of consensus. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/8/3/21348598/ps5-sony-tv-playstation-5-ready-4k-8k

The next generation is just a few months away, with Sony and Microsoft both planning to launch their respective new consoles, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, this holiday season. Both companies have equipped their consoles with next-gen video features such as support for gaming in 4K resolution at 120 frames per second. That requires HDMI 2.1 — a technology that is just starting to make its way into modern televisions.

53 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

So what are we actually expecting from Sony's launch line-up?  We know about Spiderman MM and Astro's Playroom (pack in).  Gotta wonder if they'll dial it in beyond that with COVID concerns and no Halo in time.

Beyond Astro's Playroom, I'm not sure any first-party game is confirmed definitively for launch yet, but I would expect, given the average development times of the studios making these games in general and to make sure Sony has at least a semi-strong launch, these games should be ready to go this November/December:

-Astro's Playroom

-Gran Turismo 7

-Horizon Forbidden West (it won't be ready, but Guerrilla Games' timeline says it's already past time :p )

-Spider-Man: Miles Morales

-Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (with this being Insomniac, and Spider-Man: MM being more of a stand-alone expansion, I think both coming out at launch is possible)

-Demon's Souls remake (it's already past time for Bluepoint Games' next game)

-Returnal (it's already past time as well for Housemarque's next game)

But going off a specific studio's average development time from their entire previous resume only indicates some of the picture (though it does help somewhat in terms of being predictive) - with COVID-19 and a new generation of hardware for developers to deal with, between the two typical development timelines may be artificially extended beyond their norms. I took that into account with my expectations and so I still expect this launch line-up from Sony (or something close to it) but I can't say completely for sure. I would be very satisfied and reasonable expectations met if my aforementioned list was the dialed in launch line-up.

I have it from many insiders that in addition to Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom, Ratchet, Returnal, Demon's Souls, Horizon (moving up from 2021), Gran Turismo 7, Sackboy, and Destruction AllStars will be there at launch. After that, God of War 2, Silent Hills with VR support, the new San Diego studio game, Days Gone 2, Naughty Dog's new IP, and Sony Manchester's unannounced VR massive first-person RPG are slated for 2021. Ghost of Tsushima 2, Naughty Dog's other new IP, Bloodborne 2, and Shadow of the Colossus 2 with VR support and 50 colossi are aiming for 2022, in addition to PSVR2 and Dreams 4D PSVR2 mode. In 2023, it'll just be Pixelopus' new game while everyone gets ready for 2024.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Those must be like Tomcat’s definition of “insiders.”

We’re in COVID times. There’s no way Horizon 2 is moving ahead of schedule to this year.

My last sentence is "In 2023, it'll just be Pixelopus' new game while everyone gets ready for 2024."

C'mon, dude.

Weren't rumors that Demon Souls is like 2022 the earliest?

I feel like we would've had some Holiday 2020 listings during their showcase if any of those titles were even trying to aim for a 2020 launch.

They've had no issues listing Spiderman, Godfall, and whatever other titles are 2020, so it feels odd they wouldn't list that for R&C and GT7 if they were aiming for this year.

I tried googling launch lineups for either MS or Sony, and had a hard time finding concrete lists for either.

Also, didn't Jason Scheirer basically confirm a Remastered Bloodborne coming to PS5 and PC with 60fps.  That alone would be a system seller for PS5.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m starting to think some of you guys are in denial about how garbage the launch lineups were for the PS4 and Xbone with this talk of “needing a strong launch lineup” :p 

Don't you dare downplay Ryse and Killzone Shadowfall.

• Haha 1