~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

I do want to emphasize that there really is no sense of "panic" in this selling.  All in all, it's a rather "orderly" decline.

This is in sharp contrast in 2008 where the selling was very much panic-driven.  In 2008, there was a very real fear that the entire global financial system would collapse as liquidity dried up.  That's simply not the case here - there are no significant liquidity concerns.

Which is why I still say the gains are due to be returned unless the selloff exposes some underlying problem in the economy.  (Corporate debt, I'm looking at you!)

Just now, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Which is why I still say the gains are due to be returned unless the selloff exposes some underlying problem in the economy.  (Corporate debt, I'm looking at you!)

Don't worry. When push comes to shove the companies that have incurred all that debt that just laid off huge chunks of their workforces will get bailed out.

15 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I'd drop some money on stocks, but I have not the slightest clue what to buy.  

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

VTI - U.S. Total Market

VXUS - International Total Market (Ex U.S.)

BND - Total Bond Market (**This could be 0% depending on you risk tolerance)

The short answer is you don't buy individual stocks, you just buy them all. You can own thousands of public companies by purchasing VTI and VXUS. 

23 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

China has the advantage of being a totalitarian state that the west lacks.  The west will not have the will nor the means to take the actions China took.  

Italy seems to be reacting pretty strongly. 

Spoiler

inb4 Wade laughs at calling Italy a Western country 

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

It can't decide what to do. It could go either way, but my guess is it is going to end up falling. Small cap is in the red.

With basically no good news coming from China on manufacturing, I think there is good reason to believe we still have some negative trajectory left. A lot of companies that assemble from parts made elsewhere are starting to feel the crunch domestically as well, so I can imagine a lot of bad news rolling out over the next 6 weeks on that front.

Who knows though!

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

With basically no good news coming from China on manufacturing, I think there is good reason to believe we still have some negative trajectory left. A lot of companies that assemble from parts made elsewhere are starting to feel the crunch domestically as well, so I can imagine a lot of bad news rolling out over the next 6 weeks on that front.

Who knows though!

I need more negative trajectory. For 2-3 more months. 

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Who knows though!

I was just trying to predict today, but I agree we aren’t at the bottom long term.