~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

The Coronavirus Recession Will Be Unusually Difficult to Fight (The Atlantic)

Washington and other governments around the world have two main levers to help their economies from tipping into free fall: fiscal policy and monetary policy. The problem is that both of those levers work primarily on the demand side of the economy, and cannot readily fix the bottlenecks the virus is causing. The Federal Reserve has already announced one surprise rate cut. But how is a somewhat-lower interest rate going to help an American assembly business that cannot get parts out of China? “The benefits of lower interest rates at this stage are questionable with a substantial part of the economic shock due to supply-chain disruptions and official restrictions on economic activity,” argues Brian Coulton, the chief economist at Fitch Ratings. Moreover, the Fed and other central banks have already pushed interest rates to historic lows; they are running out of their strongest ammunition.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Lower rates are also going to cause housing prices to go up...so good luck, millenials! People will lose their jobs and houses will get more expensive. Boomers will be insulated (to a greater degree). Well, except from the virus.

Was looking at another investment property a few weeks ago. It was garbage with a good base, I’d mostly gut it. $15k is all I think it is worth, went for $45k in this market.

It’s been pushing my plan to retire at 40 out some years. 2019 and 2020 looked like good years to acquire at least five properties, might end up with only an additional two by the end of the year.

On the good side, my first has quadrupled in value; if I didn’t like the tenet (I think they’ll be around for a decade at least), I’d put it on the market. 

Man if things keep up there is a possible chance we end out the day with a 2,000 point drop. There was a small recovery this morning after trading resumed but since noon it's been on a continued trend downwards. :flag: 

-edit-

Hah. I should have refreshed my browser before posting. We'll be there by 2pm.

-edit 2-

What a tease. It took till 2:02 and it's still falling.

15 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Man if things keep up there is a possible chance we end out the day with a 2,000 point drop. There was a small recovery this morning after trading resumed but since noon it's been on a continued trend downwards. :flag: 

-edit-

Hah. I should have refreshed my browser before posting. We'll be there by 2pm.

-edit 2-

What a tease. It took till 2:02 and it's still falling.

Just crossed 2,000.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Lower rates are also going to cause housing prices to go up...so good luck, millenials! People will lose their jobs and houses will get more expensive. Boomers will be insulated (to a greater degree). Well, except from the virus.

I would argue now is probably the worst time to go wander around random people's houses to buy or allow random strangers to your house to sell.

I do want to emphasize that there really is no sense of "panic" in this selling.  All in all, it's a rather "orderly" decline.

This is in sharp contrast in 2008 where the selling was very much panic-driven.  In 2008, there was a very real fear that the entire global financial system would collapse as liquidity dried up.  That's simply not the case here - there are no significant liquidity concerns.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I do want to emphasize that there really is no sense of "panic" in this selling.  All in all, it's a rather "orderly" decline.

This is in sharp contrast in 2008 where the selling was very much panic-driven.  In 2008, there was a very real fear that the entire global financial system would collapse as liquidity dried up.  That's simply not the case here - there are no significant liquidity concerns.

Well now, where is all the drama and hand wringing in this reasonable analyse?! DO YOU EVEN INTERNET BRO?! :nottalking:

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

To expand, the sell off is happening significantly in areas most likely to be affected by supply side concerns. There is a logic to it.

No matter where the bottom ends up, now is a good time to buy if you’ve got cash. You’ll do well in 18-24 months on a move made this week.

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

And the S&P 500 ends the day 7.63% down. 

If anyone has extra cash, I think it's time to start positioning yourself. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped another 10-15%, but I'm looking for around ~8% or so to make another move in.

If someone is looking for long term, then yep just don't buy it all at once. Spread it out over time when the market tanks for a day. 

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

If someone is looking for long term, then yep just don't buy it all at once. Spread it out over time when the market tanks for a day. 

9 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Since it’s impossible to time this kind of volatile market, if you’re looking to buy, scale into positions.  So don’t buy all right away and add more if it continues to fall.

But mostly just be able to stomach the losses.

All good advice. I have bought on 3 separate down days now without regret. As a test to my psychology, I am holding my 95% equity portfolio with no urge to sell, just to buy. I'm thinking very long-term with my position. This is becoming an opportunity, it just sucks it has to be from a virus.

11 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It's a better investment anyways.

I’ve said for a decade now that a house is a terrible investment if it’s for you to live in. It just turns out it’s one of the few “investments” middle class folks can make these days. It’s nearly impossible realize any gain because whenever you sell it you now need to replace the housing at the market rate that set your appreciated value. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve said for a decade now that a house is a terrible investment if it’s for you to live in. It just turns out it’s one of the few “investments” middle class folks can make these days. It’s nearly impossible realize any gain because whenever you sell it you now need to replace the housing at the market rate that set your appreciated value. 

True, but most people downsize significantly at retirement when all the kids are out.

9 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

True, but most people downsize significantly at retirement when all the kids are out.

Downsizing doesn’t save money. Lots of good data on that!

I was also going to mention that there are opportunities with better valuations with international equity, and since they've been dropping with the U.S. at similar rates, the case remains. Specifically, Vanguard projected higher expected rate of returns from developed market indexes in the global outlook from Dec.2019. 

Alongside the decline in corporate earnings growth, which is projected to fall from its 5.8% historical average annual rate to a rate close to 5%, our expected return outlook for U.S. equity over the next decade is centered in the modest 3.5%–5.5% range. Although this improves upon the 3%–5% returns forecast last year, it still pales in comparison with the 10.6% annualized return generated over the last 30 years. With respect to equity styles and sizes, value looks to be more favorable than growth and small size more favorable than large because of more attractive valuations. From a U.S. investor’s perspective, the expected return outlook for non-U.S. equity markets is in the 6.5%–8.5% range, higher than that of U.S. equity (see Figure II-4a and Figure II-4b), thanks to relatively more reasonable valuations. This higher return outlook for non-U.S. equity markets underscores the benefits of global equity...

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindexed/Vanguard_Global_Economic_Market_Outlook_2020.pdf