What are you playing today?

Played through Halo 3 campaign… the design holds up for the most part.. the AI, flood mechanics (spores reviving the dead) are still as good as ever…. the level “The Covenant” still feels large scale and great..

the butthole simulator level is still a giant pain, still as easy to get lost as ever…

Played some Arkham City… feels smallish and quaint nowadays.. still plays solid enough but i do miss some of the advanced me mechanics from Arkham Knight… that Catwoman design remains awful as ever

• Like 1

Just beat MYST and really enjoyed it. It's like 30+ years old but looks fantastic on series X and I had always wanted to play it. Frustrated in that on of the puzzles I simply to not understand how a regular guy was to figure it out after even looking it up! Those that have played it, it's the Island with the flooded rooms and the telescope. So I beat it all on my own except for that one puzzle using the telescope. Now I really want to play The Witness. I've owned it for ever on PS4 but quit about half way through. I'm wanting to play it on the 83" C1 when I get a PS5 to play with the wife together. I'll do all the controller work and she and I can solve the hundreds of puzzles. If I remember right, it was raved about back in the day, like 10/10 & 5/5's across the board. Anyway that's another game I quit on but always want to go back and give it my full attention 

Moved on to Arkham Origins after finishing city… I always defended the title as underrated due to how good the story, christmas ambience, boss fights, and voice acting are…. that being said in this playthrough I am spotting aeveral issues (specially after playing City)

-UI is ugly, it offers as much extra info and unlocks as usual.. its just presented in ugly menus… even unlock progression is ugly

-the color palette is horrible… its a “grittier” product, but as a Christmas game it really desperately lacks color.

-The pacing is really bad, while City starts off with Two-face and the church explosion Origins begins with the slow riot at Blackgate and the slow slog to triangulate Penguins signal..

-Combat pacing is slightly off and allows more combo interrupts which breaks combos unexpectedly…

-Navigation is also too slow, the max glide speed is too slow and the giant structures lack grapple points leaving you stranded

All that being said the crime scene reconstructions, the Joker/Bane scenes, and overall product is still great… but I now more clearly understand the dissent

Started Control: Ultimate Edition on PC. I started it on ps4 but only fought the first flying boss guy, about 2 hours in. It looks incredible @1440p with DLSS on and Rtx on medium. Just eye candy. Wish I had it on Series X so i could play it in the livingroom but the 65" LGCx is still sweet!

Also bought Disc Elysium: The final Cut on Steam for 15 bucks after reading and hearing loads of praises on its story. Excited to see what all the hype is about. I have tons to play still. Have to beat Will of the Wisps still and will be putting in Forza 5 time in between all these games too!

I also am 

• Like 1

Hunt: Showdown

Now that I powered through the beat-you-into-submission learning curve, this game is unlike anything I've played before and incredible. Never played a tenser game in my life.

I had a crazy match earlier that ended up in a showdown between me and another guy, both of us being the only survivors of our 3-player teams. After stalking each other for several minutes in near-silence, I heard wood creak near me via its 3D audio, stood up and blindly shotgun blasted into the dark doorway and splattered the dude's head. Went back to finally revive my teammates and we set their corpses on fire. Game is insane.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

More Spiderman, though it’s vaguely disheartening to continually see things added to my map that I’ll never bother with. It definitely feels like the kind of game I would 100% at the age of 14 though.

Hoping to play more tonight but I’ve got a fair bit of school work to plan, so it might be more of a tomorrow treat. 

13 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

More Spiderman, though it’s vaguely disheartening to continually see things added to my map that I’ll never bother with. It definitely feels like the kind of game I would 100% at the age of 14 though.

Hoping to play more tonight but I’ve got a fair bit of school work to plan, so it might be more of a tomorrow treat. 

I am not gonna dog on someone for skipping that stuff but I found most of that side shit fairly entertaining and I usually skip it.

I just finished Guardians of the Galaxy on my XSX (great fun game) Probably gonna hop back into Halo Infinite and play out the campaign. Pretty much ignoring campaign and was just fucking around in the sandbox. Also downloaded MK11 but I have also never played Mass Effect, and might move some things around and get that downloading soon.

ULTIMATE GAMEPASS is so great to have :twothumbsup:

Just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. <3  Ive been incredibly hooked on this game and havent been able to play anything else. In the end it was really an awesome game. the last mission was jaw-dropingly beautiful. It almost feels like they lead the design of the game with that and said how do me make a story around this? Lol. ME:A was not without its fault. I still came across some bugs (load screen), environmental obstacles, etc. It got a little long in the tooth in the middle (the back and forth on Kadara), but none of it detracted from the overall experience.

I finished with all planets at 100% and 86% total for Helios. Around 50hrs even. This was the perfect amount for me bc If I continued to try and do every side mission or task i probably wouldve burned out.  this was every bit of a ME game and Im sad it got shelved before they could release the DLC. Although I am now really excited for the new ME game. 

if you bailed out on this game bc of the launch issues, I strongly suggest giving it another go. 

now its time for Guardians of The Galaxy

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. <3  Ive been incredibly hooked on this game and havent been able to play anything else. In the end it was really an awesome game. the last mission was jaw-dropingly beautiful. It almost feels like they lead the design of the game with that and said how do me make a story around this? Lol. ME:A was not without its fault. I still came across some bugs (load screen), environmental obstacles, etc. It got a little long in the tooth in the middle (the back and forth on Kadara), but none of it detracted from the overall experience.

I finished with all planets at 100% and 86% total for Helios. Around 50hrs even. This was the perfect amount for me bc If I continued to try and do every side mission or task i probably wouldve burned out.  this was every bit of a ME game and Im sad it got shelved before they could release the DLC. Although I am now really excited for the new ME game.

It’s nice to see someone else who enjoyed it as much as I did, it gets a lot of undeserved hate IMO.

• True 1

I enjoyed Andromeda.  The story wasn't as good, there were no Quarians, and I think they missed a big opportunity by not introducing more new aliens(they were in a whole new galaxy), but I still had a good time.  The combat was the best of any ME game to date.

22 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

I enjoyed Andromeda.  The story wasn't as good, there were no Quarians, and I think they missed a big opportunity by not introducing more new aliens(they were in a whole new galaxy), but I still had a good time.  The combat was the best of any ME game to date.

I was feeling the same way through the game but the story kinda explains it in a roundabout way

Spoiler

The fact that the Angaran were created by the jardaan/Remnant means maybe that in that galaxy, there was no other intelligent life. So what happened to the Jardaan?

However, what actually was Meridian, and the vaults true purpose? where did the jardaan go?  And why did they need to create the angarans?

I think this probably would’ve been answered in whatever sequels they might have had planned (same for answering what the scourge was and where it came from)  

Was just about to start either Disco Elysium or The new Metroid and I was reminded I still have to beat FarCry6 damn it! Now do I just leave yet another game @85% finished and one that I was really enjoying too I must say or do what I almost always do and move on never to return but always be haunted by my wasteful buying to playing/beating ratio?? So many games cloud my mind thinking I will actually return to, This was one of my New Years Resolutions for 2022 was to actually buy a game and play it, what a concept. I can't even use the game collection excuse anymore, there all digital....lol

On 1/10/2022 at 12:19 AM, HardAct said:

Was just about to start either Disco Elysium or The new Metroid and I was reminded I still have to beat FarCry6 damn it! Now do I just leave yet another game @85% finished and one that I was really enjoying too I must say or do what I almost always do and move on never to return but always be haunted by my wasteful buying to playing/beating ratio??

If you’re 85% finished with Far Cry 6 then you should probably just go ahead and finish it, especially if you’re still enjoying it. I’m playing it now myself and have finished quite a bit of it, but I’m admittedly starting to feel some fatigue with it since it’s such a big game. I’m ready to move onto something else at this point, but I want to see Far Cry 6 to the end so I’m going to stick with it since I don’t think that I have too many more main story missions left. However, after I finish it I’m going to take a break from big games like it and focus on some of my smaller indie games since I have a lot of them. I can finish several of them in the time that it takes me to finish one big game like Far Cry 6.

Started Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. Played through the 1st mission. Visuals are incredible. The banter is amazing and hilarious. The gameplay is so-so. 

Question for people playing on a next-gen console - what graphical setting did you go with? For a game like this I dont care about 60FPS. So Im using quality mode now, but wondering if the ray tracing mode is a noticeable difference. 

24 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Started Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. Played through the 1st mission. Visuals are incredible. The banter is amazing and hilarious. The gameplay is so-so. 

Question for people playing on a next-gen console - what graphical setting did you go with? For a game like this I dont care about 60FPS. So Im using quality mode now, but wondering if the ray tracing mode is a noticeable difference. 

Ray Tracing mode looks pretty nice. The Digital Foundry video does a good job of showcasing it.

Nearing the end of Sonic Colors and it’s a good Sonic game still but Planet Whisp didn’t have any levels as good as the other worlds imo so that was an unfortunate one for me to save for last.

I don’t know if the whole last world is going to do the annoying Sonic bump up the difficulty to 11 at the last minute to end on a sour note for me thing but the first level of it certainly is. 

The problem is when you have these super long sections in a row with no checkpoints is as I learn the beginning parts over and over again I get sooooooo bored. That’s the problem with difficulty spikes for me it’s just pure boredom. This would actually be a sweet looking level if it had checkpoints too sigh. I’ll play it tomorrow, I’d probably beat it in another 20 minutes but I need to refresh my frustration with it.

Seeing @dualhuntermention them got me back into the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. I’m a decent way into 2 now. If I ever played an earlier version of this game, I don’t remember it at all. It’s fun, but I don’t know how much I like the class-less characters. My crew all just kinda do everything. If I get to a point in the late game where I really need specialization, I’m going to be frustrated.

25 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Seeing @dualhuntermention them got me back into the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. I’m a decent way into 2 now. If I ever played an earlier version of this game, I don’t remember it at all. It’s fun, but I don’t know how much I like the class-less characters. My crew all just kinda do everything. If I get to a point in the late game where I really need specialization, I’m going to be frustrated.

You don't really need much specialization. Pick a different primary weapon for each character. Most magic is useless so just use what you find useful. Hold on to weak weapons, if you want to level up weapons attack yourself with weak weapons, if you want to level up HP do the same with your best weapons. With lots of HP and high weapon skill you'll be fine. Healing magic (cure, esuna, basuna, life) is useful. Give each a different elemental attack spell for the occasional enemy that resists physical attacks but other than that Ultima is the only thing that does decent damage beyond the beginning of the game, even against bosses with elemental weaknesses physical attacks tend to be better. Attack boosting spells like haste and berserk can be useful if 1 character is doing lots of damage and the others aren't, in that case keep casting them on that character since they stack and the fight will be over soon.

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

About 7 hours into Star Wars fallen order and I'm thoroughly enjoying. I read it's roughly 15 hours to compete so I'm about half way through. Great game.

I have it currently downloaded on Series X, only gave it about 2 hours the first time I played then moved on. I plan on really giving it my full attension next time and see if it grabs me and can hold my attention!

15 hours ago, HardAct said:

I have it currently downloaded on Series X, only gave it about 2 hours the first time I played then moved on. I plan on really giving it my full attension next time and see if it grabs me and can hold my attention!

It definitely holds my attention because the pace is great. No wasted dialogue and shit gets right to the point. The exploration and puzzles are awesome and so is the combat. The game is laid out perfectly in terms of menus and upgrades etc. I just played 2 more hours and I'm on chapter 4 of 6. I recommend you give it another shot.

I finished Far Cry 6, and after dumping I don’t know how many hours into it I was in the mood for something really different so I started playing a little indie 2D side scrolling Metroidvania with 8-bit pixel art graphics and chiptunes called Alwa’s Awakening. It looks and plays like an authentic NES game, and it’s been giving me nostalgic warm and fuzzies from my youth. It’s cute and charming with action, platforming, and puzzle solving.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I finished Far Cry 6, and after dumping I don’t know how many hours into it I was in the mood for something really different so I started playing a little indie 2D side scrolling Metroidvania with 8-bit pixel art graphics and chiptunes called Alwa’s Awakening. It looks and plays like an authentic NES game, and it’s been giving me nostalgic warm and fuzzies from my youth. It’s cute and charming with action, platforming, and puzzle solving.

The 16-bit style sequel Alwa's Legacy is even better.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, atom631 said:

• Like 1