Kobe Bryant and Eight Others Dead In Helicopter Crash

I'm just going to leave it at this because sbl is just going to find the handful of people who agree with him and declare victory. My personal opinion is that his post was "too soon" and in poor taste given the timing of when he made it. He and some others don't have a problem with it, which no shit not everyone is going to agree on everything. The immediate reaction that I saw didn't mention the rape, and by far and away the coverage of his death that I have seen has so far been all positive. I'm sure in the coming days there will be a shift to talk about his past and legacy in more detail, but from I've seen people have refrained from trying to tarnish his legacy up to this point. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Saw this on reddit. Not sure if it was posted.

A coworker said he saw supposed video of the final seconds of the crash from somebody nearby and showed me, but I haven't seen that posted anywhere so I'm going to assume it's fake until I see it somewhere else. 

Lakers postpone Tuesday night's game, the first postponement since the Boston Bombing.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/kobe-bryant-dies-in-helicopter-crash/

Postponed Lakers game is the first since Boston Marathon bombing

From CNN's David Close

The NBA’s Chief Communications Officer, Michael Bass, tells CNN that the last time the league canceled a game for a tragic event was after the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

The Indiana Pacers at Boston Celtics were scheduled to play on April 16, the day after the bombing.

The NBA announced today that Tuesday night’s Los Angeles Lakers game versus the Los Angeles Clippers has been postponed.

"The decision was made out of respect for the Lakers organization, which is deeply grieving the tragic loss of Lakers legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven other people in a helicopter crash on Sunday," the league wrote in a statement.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Apparently she posted an old article about the rape accusation, got death threats to the point where she had to leave her home, and WaPo put her on administrative leave.

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but she was suspended for posting a screenshot of PII of the people threatening her, not for retweeting an old article.

Officials give update on crash, no criminal aspect of probe

Authorities today gave an update on the investigation into the helicopter crash that killed Los Angeles Lakers great Kobe Bryant, his young daughter Gianna and seven others Sunday.

National Transportation Safety Board member Jennifer Homendy spoke outside the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station in Calabasas. Few new details were disclosed, but Homendy spent some time discussing the aircraft’s flight path “because I want to make sure it is reported accurately.”

The flight area was shrouded in fog Sunday morning, but pilot Ara Zobayan was qualified to fly in bad conditions and had been cleared to fly that day, according to his communications with air traffic controllers.

Homendy said investigators are looking at, “but not just focusing on” weather as a possible cause of the crash and asked the public to provide any photos that show the weather conditions in the area at the time of the crash. She also noted that there is “no criminal aspect of this investigation.”

Questions emerge about why Kobe Bryant's helicopter was flying in 'very scary conditions'

Ditchey said helicopters can operate in bad weather because they can fly low, just as long as they have reasonable visibility, which is defined as at least one mile. Even then, going at 120 mph, that gives the pilot only 30 seconds to avoid a large obstacle.

While most of Bryant’s flight appears to have gone on without major problems, Ditchey said the helicopter ran into trouble when visibility decreased in the area over the Los Angeles Zoo near Glendale.

“They’re in the fog, and you’re down hugging the ground trying to fly up the highway and barely able to see it,’’ Ditchey said. “He’s down only 100 feet or so above the ground. In that area of the San Fernando Valley you have mountains on either side of you … and the clouds have obscured them, and you don’t have that much room to maneuver.’’

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the precise conditions when the crash occurred are still under investigation, but he acknowledged there was “an issue with visibility and a low ceiling’’ on Sunday.

Both his office and the LAPD, which has a reputation for making conservative decisions in these instances, opted to keep their helicopters on the ground.

A person who answered the phone at the LAPD’s Air Support Division and would only give his name as Chester said the pilots – who are also police officers – decide when it’s not safe enough to fly.

Ditchey said that when he was in the Navy, sometimes he’d fly in zero-visibility conditions because it was a military necessity. But he questioned why anybody without such a pressing mission would hop on a helicopter in what he called “very scary conditions.’’

“The weather is not good enough for the police to fly,’’ Ditchey said. “Why should Kobe do it?’’

Not acknowledging all of Kobe Bryant’s legacy is an insult to sexual assault survivors

We can grieve Kobe Bryant while still honouring survivors of sexual assault

I agree with the sentiment that is fine to discuss Bryant’s rape case and that it not should not be whitewashed. A tragic death does not negate one’s history and all it entails. This is certainly true when said history includes rape allegations. However, I am also not a fan of telling people how to feel.

I feel terrible for Bryant’s accuser, particularly how the coverage and discussion of his death and legacy might be triggering. The same goes for other victims of sexual violence who have seen no justice against their abusers and are reminded of that today.

At the same time, I can’t help but feel for Bryant’s family, as well as his fans – my family members, my friends, my colleagues, and all of the internet strangers I follow on various platforms for varying reasons – who are devastated by his passing because of the joy he brought them and because of the way he inspired them. 

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Colbert relates this tragedy to his own (he lost his father and two of his brothers to a plane crash.) and calls for black boxes on helicopters which for some reason are not required to have them.

Jump to about 2:30 

From an aviation expert I saw on CNN the other night, black boxes are not required on most small aircraft, primarily due to cost. He said they are low 6 figures in cost. Seems like the sort of thing that should be able to be made less expensive. He did mention that there have been systems developed to live stream flight data that could dramatically decrease the cost for small aircraft as opposed to a traditional black box device.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Colbert relates this tragedy to his own (he lost his father and two of his brothers to a plane crash.) and calls for black boxes on helicopters which for some reason are not required to have them.

Holy shit at that part. Not that I know much about Colbert in general but that's harsh.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

From an aviation expert I saw on CNN the other night, black boxes are not required on most small aircraft, primarily due to cost. He said they are low 6 figures in cost. Seems like the sort of thing that should be able to be made less expensive. He did mention that there have been systems developed to live stream flight data that could dramatically decrease the cost for small aircraft as opposed to a traditional black box device.

In the story that Colbert tells in the clip I posted, he mentions a female chopper pilot who developed a black box for helicopters which I assume is low cost and would suit their needs. This pilot lost her son to a chopper crash and that's what led her to develop the black box for copters. The clip is worth a watch.

Our culture has such a weird way of deifying celebrities that we’ve never even met. I’ve seen fights on Facebook break out over this shit. My friend’s cousin nearly disowned him for making a Kolby joke. Like, he was absolutely willing to turn his back on an actual family member for someone who is essentially a stranger.

I know he was a talented player, but damn, people need to keep things in perspective.

18 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Our culture has such a weird way of deifying celebrities that we’ve never even met. I’ve seen fights on Facebook break out over this shit. My friend’s cousin nearly disowned him for making a Kolby joke. Like, he was absolutely willing to turn his back on an actual family member for someone who is essentially a stranger.

I know he was a talented player, but damn, people need to keep things in perspective.

Because our society has no real heroes outside of fiction

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Because our society has no real heroes outside of fiction

Our society has no shortage of true heroes. As someone who works in education I see them every day. But our media is always putting the wrong people on pedestals instead of honoring the real selfish saints who work hard for nearly nothing in return. But because of that our society is starving for heroes so we keep looking up to the wrong people, or even fictional people. I think this is part of the reason why superhero movies are such a part of the zeitgeist.

11 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Our society has no shortage of true heroes. As someone who works in education I see them every day. But our media is always putting the wrong people on pedestals instead of honoring the real selfish saints who work hard for nearly nothing in return. But because of that our society is starving for heroes so we keep looking up to the wrong people, or even fictional people. I think this is part of the reason why superhero movies are such a part of the zeitgeist.

American hHereos have muscles. Ergo, teachers (except gym teachers) are not heroes.

• 2 weeks later...

@sblfilms resigns after saying Kobe deserved to die.

"Not gonna lie. Seems to me that karma caught up with a rapist today,"

Sejkora apologized after the incident, saying she regretted writing the post.

"I have some personal experience that generated the visceral reaction," Sejkora told ABC Portland station KATU on Tuesday. "This was a situation where I didn't think before I posted, and I'm terribly regretful about that."

She resigned on Friday.

• Haha 1