Kobe Bryant and Eight Others Dead In Helicopter Crash

10 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm watching what is ostensibly the lead-in to Celtics/Pelicans on ESPN but is of course just all of the studio personalities talking about Kobe, and it's hard to compare what the tone of this coverage is like to anything. Everyone on air seems deeply shaken and seems to not really want to be there. Jay Williams said explicitly they should've cancelled the whole slate of games.

It really was unnerving seeing Tyson Chandler and Austin Rivers struggling in front of the cameras during the Rockets/Nuggets game :( 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I was never a fan of the guy, but damn, we have some assholes in here.

Some heavy news to wake up to. Guy was still a legend and I feel bad for his family.

The irony is I never liked him much either... having just lost someone very close to me recently it's crazy see the race to see "who can be the biggest asshole" on these boards regarding a tragic event like this. But whatever. I just heard about there being nine people on board, do we have anymore news as to who the other people were?

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I didn’t misspeak. Based on the evidence, I think he is probably a rapist. I’m not a journalist, I don’t have to hedge my views behind a facade of dispassionate objectivity. And yes, this topic is about Kobe Bryant, my comments were about Kobe Bryant. The Kobe Bryant who was credibly accused of being a rapist and sent his lawyers out to destroy the life of the person who levied that accusation. Defend that all you want.

if you were accused of rape would you sit back and do nothing to defend it?

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The irony is I never liked him much either... having just lost someone very close to me recently it's crazy see the race to see "who can be the biggest asshole" on these boards regarding a tragic event like this. But whatever. I just heard about there being nine people on board, do we have anymore news as to who the other people were?

It can sometimes be difficult to get what a small community a league like the NBA is. 

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just heard about there being nine people on board, do we have anymore news as to who the other people were?

The only other confirmed people were a college baseball coach, John Altobelli, his wife, and his young daughter as well.

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

if you were accused of rape would you sit back and do nothing to defend it?

Choosing how you defend yourself is the issue.

49 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I don’t even know how to process this news.

I can’t recall feeling this way over a death.

I was just telling a buddy of mine that the older we get the more and more celebrities of "our" generation are going to start dying and it's going to affect us differently than previous celebrity deaths. Sure we had Prince and Micheal Jackson, but that was more my parents generation... I think my mom and Micheal were the same age. I think these types of events just remind us of our own mortality as we get older.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

She's already come out to say she jumbled her words when she first tried to say "Knicks." It happens to everyone, no need to make it into something it's not and people are stupid, calling for her to be fired.

Sounds like she said "Nakers"... like Knicks and Lakers combined. Nothing to see here, move on.

Doesn’t matter who they were or how history will judge them, every time I hear of someone dying suddenly like this it makes me want to give my wife and kid a hug, despite knowing this kind of thing occurs every day :(

I mean, it could be a day like any other—You’re sittin’ pretty in a first world country, where it’s all supposed to happen to someone else, some pitiable fellow in a far-off, war-torn, starving province a million miles away; you’re hedged in by thousands of safety protocols, armored by numberless years of technological development and the might of modern medicine...and then you get in the wrong helicopter, car, airplane, and...:rose:

5 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

My father who was a pilot for over 30 years absolutely refused to have anything to do with helicopters because unlike an actual airplane, the options available to safely recover from an incident are slim to none.

I knew you'd bring up this anecdote. My maternal grandfather was a recreational pilot, even owned his own small plane, and he didn't like helicopters either. If you have engine failure in a plane you can still try and land safely, but with a helo, there's very little you can do, and will probably just drop like a stone. Makes me second guess ever wanting to go for a helicopter ride again. 

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Her brain probably tried to say Los Angeles Nicks then corrected midway through to Lakers. And it turned out really not great. 

You don’t say?!

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

She's already come out to say she jumbled her words when she first tried to say "Knicks." It happens to everyone, no need to make it into something it's not and people are stupid, calling for her to be fired.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Choosing how you defend yourself is the issue.

You can say the same when you can make your speculative claims on someone who recently passed away.  Wrong place, poor timing. Learn to read the tone of the room/thread before you click the "submit reply" button next time.

19 minutes ago, Brick said:

I knew you'd bring up this anecdote. My maternal grandfather was a recreational pilot, even owned his own small plane, and he didn't like helicopters either. If you have engine failure in a plane you can still try and land safely, but with a helo, there's very little you can do, and will probably just drop like a stone. Makes me second guess ever wanting to go for a helicopter ride again. 

I wonder what the statistics are on the dangers of helicopters vs small planes. It seems like, aside from drug overdoses, aviation deaths are the most common way for celebrities to meet an untimely death, and there's quite a few that died in a plane not in a helicopter. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

but with a helo, there's very little you can do, and will probably just drop like a stone. Makes me second guess ever wanting to go for a helicopter ride again. 

A helicopter won't necessarily drop that way unless the engine failure is catastrophic enough to prevent the blades from autorotating due to upward airflow, but that autorotation is ABSOLUTELY necessary in order to have any hope of a controlled descent.

1 hour ago, darkness35 said:

You can say the same when you can make your speculative claims on someone who recently passed away.  Wrong place, poor timing. Learn to read the tone of the room/thread before you click the "submit reply" button next time.

A current events discussion board is exactly the right place to discuss the legacy of a public figure who has died. Nobody would take issue with discussing the positive aspects of his life, even speculative ideas. The lionization of bad men in death, particularly sudden and tragic deaths, has a long and terrible history.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

kobe wasn’t even confirmed dead yet when he brought it up. Just have some tact sometimes.

He was confirmed dead literally when Skillz posted the article, the news came out because TMZ had confirmed it. And to whom am I needing to be sensitive to on the D1P message board?

31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's a time and a place for the "rapist" discussion and half an hour after his death is not the time.

When is the time and where is the place?