Kobe Bryant and Eight Others Dead In Helicopter Crash

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

My father who was a pilot for over 30 years absolutely refused to have anything to do with helicopters because unlike an actual airplane, there are very few options available to safely recover from an incident.

My buddy who was a helicopter mechanic in the army once told me the importance of the Jesus nut.

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The owner of Leicester City died in a helicopter crash the other year as well. Weird to have multiple sports-related helicopter crashes in such a short timeframe. 

How about helicopter tour incidents in Hawaii?

The fact of the matter is that once I got out of the army, one of my greatest senses of relief was that I would probably NEVER have to set foot in a helicopter again.

23 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

You're actually asking that question?

Well some people see the loss of a celebrity as a personal loss to them. I didn’t know his daughters. Had no idea if it was a case of “season 2 of their show was about to start filming. Now we won’t get to see it.” Or just the general lament for the loss of life. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Well some people see the loss of a celebrity as a personal loss to them. I didn’t know his daughters. Had no idea if it was a case of “season 2 of their show was about to start filming. Now we won’t get to see it.” Or just the general lament for the loss of life. 

That REALLY didn't help your case.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

That REALLY didn't help your case.

I didn’t expect it to make me look like a better person, but you should be less confused. I was wondering the motives. 

people who don’t personally know Kobe will legit cry over his death, but if it was ONLY his daughter would find it sad, but not she’s a tear, because they weren’t famous enough to feel an emotional attachment to. 

I didn’t know which case this was. Tragic, but affects me in 0 ways. Same for Kobe. My crack was just me being an asshole. I log this under “unfortunate”. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Loss of life is awful, regardless of if you knew the deceased or consider the loss to be personal.

JFC, did MS’s Tay AI take over your account?

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

no shit I knew one of you would go there right away just wasn’t it to be sblfilms

I don’t see any issue with noting the whole scope of a public figure’s legacy. In the particular case of Kobe, his alleged misdeeds are directly connected to his position as one of the most notable sports stars in history. I didn’t say I’m glad he’s dead or the normal sort of ghoulish stuff we often see. 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t see any issue with noting the whole scope of a public figure’s legacy. In the particular case of Kobe, his alleged misdeeds are directly connected to his position as one of the most notable sports stars in history. I didn’t say I’m glad he’s dead or the normal sort of ghoulish stuff we often see. 

I forgot... it's 2020. Accusation=Guilt... except when it comes to Presidents

This is a huge loss for the sports world and for Los Angeles as well. Kobe was LA sports. He transcended the game. People on ESPN are crying. It’s very insensitive to not understand why people are crying over a guy they didn’t personally know, because you don’t need to KNOW somebody for them to have an impact on your life. I grew up watching Kobe play. It’s very shocking to hear this news. My thoughts with the families affected. Two families lost a parent and daughter and millions feel the loss of somebody who inspired them, or at the least enjoyed watching play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I forgot... it's 2020. Accusation=Guilt... except when it comes to Presidents

There is significantly more evidence that a crime was committed than just an accusation. But as is often the case, criminal defense lawyers seek to destroy the female accusers of their male clients in rape cases, and the alleged victim decided at the last minute to not testify in the criminal case. It’s difficult enough to get a rape conviction when the alleged victim will testify, that much more when they won’t.

But, yes, dismiss it as just an accusation :rolleyes:

Just now, sblfilms said:

There is significantly more evidence that a crime was committed than just an accusation. But as is often the case, criminal defense lawyers seek to destroy the female accusers of their male clients in rape cases, and the alleged victim decided at the last minute to not testify in the criminal case. It’s difficult enough to get a rape conviction when the alleged victim will testify, that much more when they won’t.

But, yes, dismiss it as just an accusation :rolleyes:

Had you said "Accused rapist" I think you would have a stronger leg to stand on. Just say you misspoke and move on and spare me the fucking lecture. This topic isn't about you.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Had you said "Accused rapist" I think you would have a stronger leg to stand on. Just say you misspoke and move on and spare me the fucking lecture. This topic isn't about you.

I didn’t misspeak. Based on the evidence, I think he is probably a rapist. I’m not a journalist, I don’t have to hedge my views behind a facade of dispassionate objectivity. And yes, this topic is about Kobe Bryant, my comments were about Kobe Bryant. The Kobe Bryant who was credibly accused of being a rapist and sent his lawyers out to destroy the life of the person who levied that accusation. Defend that all you want.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I saw a report saying they were flying using instruments because it was so foggy this morning. So it may have been some form of human error? How safe are helicopters?

As I mentioned previously, my father was a fixed-wing pilot for over 30 years and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with helicopters because he considered them to be "inherently aerodynamically unstable".

However, helicopters CAN recover from engine failure using a technique called autorotation where upward airflow rather than actual engine power keeps the rotor system operating:

I'm watching what is ostensibly the lead-in to Celtics/Pelicans on ESPN but is of course just all of the studio personalities talking about Kobe, and it's hard to compare what the tone of this coverage is like to anything. Everyone on air seems deeply shaken and seems to not really want to be there. Jay Williams said explicitly they should've cancelled the whole slate of games.

Kobe was really destined to do some great things post-NBA career. He was a big advocate of the WNBA and worked hard to grow the game of women’s basketball. Dude even won an Oscar. Not to mention everything his daughter could have accomplished as well as the others on board. Doc Rivers was right when he said not many have the same DNA as him. Kobe was special. </3

5 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm watching what is ostensibly the lead-in to Celtics/Pelicans on ESPN but is of course just all of the studio personalities talking about Kobe, and it's hard to compare what the tone of this coverage is like to anything. Everyone on air seems deeply shaken and seems to not really want to be there. Jay Williams said explicitly they should've cancelled the whole slate of games.

They should cancel the week.