~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

So it looks like earlier this week I came into contact with someone who had enough symptoms to be tested and they shut the site down. I will know if that person tested positive for it next week.Until then I am quarantined at home. 

On a really scary side note I was only informed of this information by accident, it appears that the person with the symptoms company was trying to keep it under wraps. 

Next thing you'd tell me is that nursing homes and the fed would prefer to keep the nursing homes facing possible COVID-19 outbreaks under wraps.

Some details are coming out about Canada's emergency income benefit (CERB) that was passed last night. Looks like if you've lost your job as of March 15 you will get $2000 per month (taxable) for the next 4 months at least. Only requirement is that you made at least $5000 in the last 12 months, or 2019. No proof will be required (they'll check later) and if you've already applied for regular EI your claim will be moved to the new program. 

Oh and you need to be 15 and have a SIN (so all residents of Canada).

4 hours ago, Iculus said:

I have a couple of friends that work in a DC in Atlanta. They told me that they've done basically nothing. 

I'm at a Walmart.com warehouse and they have also basically done nothing.  In fact they are neglecting routine cleaning, too.  Dust bunnies are piling up.  It's pathetic.  I've been there since December so I really don't doubt that I've come in contact with CV-19.  And if not, that warehouse and any other one in the country is guaranteed to be an outbreak at some point in time, even if if they do actually routinely clean commonly touched surfaces.  Because there are always those people who come into work sick as a dog.  Just two days ago in the men's bathroom some dude had a nasty cough, and was not covering his mouth.  He just infected a few hundred square feet of area right there, and how knows how many on the floor.  And this cough was definitely bronchitis cough.  It wasn't smoker cough, or I swallowed down the wrong hole cough.  Stupid mother fucker.

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Exactly my point. We know some of the workers are infected, but we have no idea if a virus that can survive more than two days out in the wild is surviving the overnight delivery to customers. Instead, we have sick people that got infected from...somewhere. Many of whom might actually be doing a good job practicing social distancing.

If only. My wife is an essential worker (mental health care therapist) for a company (mental health care provider) that is deemed essential and she's not getting tested. I'm an essential employee (IT manager) working for an essential employer (government contractor) and I'm not getting tested. The craziness around testing is absurd.

In air from a cough: 2-3 hours

On cardboard: up to 24 hours

On plastic and steel: up to 3 days.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

So you probably don't have to worry about the cardboard, but the plastic bubble filler and whatever item you bought could definitely still be infected with Prime delivery speeds.

1 hour ago, SlipperySlope said:

The real people

Yup, that is what jumped out at me, too.

He is doing everything possible to make this a partisan issue. The medical equivilent of rolling coal.

People have half joked in this thread about people coughing on each other to "own the libs" but what Trump is doing is literally encouraging that type of dividing line.

The real people go to work and church on Easter, if not earlier. Only losers and haters want to stay home.

8 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

In air from a cough: 2-3 hours

On cardboard: up to 24 hours

On plastic and steel: up to 3 days.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

So you probably don't have to worry about the cardboard, but the plastic bubble filler and whatever item you bought could definitely still be infected with Prime delivery speeds.

I dont know the my last few orders have been delayed by UPS with the following message:

"Due to global health events beyond our control, your package is being held for delivery at a later date."

Most of the stuff is taking just around 2 weeks to receive from Amazon when shipping via UPS. Now stuff shipped with USPS is actually taking less time for me so I let sit in the garage for a few day before opening. 

Completely anecdotal, but those virus survival times are also the reason that I have been packing anything that is 3d printed into a box and let it sit for a week before donating to our local hospital. 

Just had my co-worker give me a line of BS from whatever stuff he watches/reads.  Tried to tell me that New York is going down in infection/deaths, that looking at flu models this should be over soon, and that models that have this going on for months are not taking into account that infections probably started in December rather than Feb so they should be 2-3 months shorter.  Dude has a veterinarian license with a masters in epidemiology.  I told my other co-worker what he said to me and we spent about an hour railing on the fact that with a BS in Biology that we had more knowledge about the outbreak than he did.  Also they reminded me that our co-worker a few weeks ago said that the flu vaccine gave him the flu.

:badass:

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Exactly my point. We know some of the workers are infected, but we have no idea if a virus that can survive more than two days out in the wild is surviving the overnight delivery to customers. Instead, we have sick people that got infected from...somewhere. Many of whom might actually be doing a good job practicing social distancing.

From what I've seen the virus can survive on a package for 24 hours under perfect laboratory conditions but maybe a couple of hours in real life conditions.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Prime Delivery speeds aren't a thing anymore. Try to order something from Amazon and it's taking at least a week minimum.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From what I've seen the virus can survive on a package for 24 hours under perfect laboratory conditions but maybe a couple of hours in real life conditions.

Prime Delivery speeds aren't a thing anymore. Try to order something from Amazon and it's taking at least a week minimum.

It depends.  My wife purchased some tylenol on Prime Pantry and we got it the same day.  

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It depends.  My wife purchased some tylenol on Prime Pantry and we got it the same day.  

When was this. I haven't been able to find stuff like TP or tylenol on Amazon since all this started. I find myself checking for TP several times a day. Still can't find any in stores and I've been going to Walmart every morning after work. :/

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It depends on what you're ordering. Some shampoo and conditioner for my girls, deodorant and soap more myself, and a pack of nori sheets all got to me in the standard Prime two days. I think they've marked off food and sanitary items as essential and shipping those out quickly.

Then again, some new bath toys also made it here in two days. Keeping kids entertained when they can't leave the house can be tricky.

23 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It depends on what you're ordering. Some shampoo and conditioner for my girls, deodorant and soap more myself, and a pack of nori sheets all got to me in the standard Prime two days. I think they've marked off food and sanitary items as essential and shipping those out quickly.

Then again, some new bath toys also made it here in two days. Keeping kids entertained when they can't leave the house can be tricky.

I wanted to get a brita water filter pitcher, some multivitamins and a toilet seat and yeah it's taking forever.

35 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

When was this. I haven't been able to find stuff like TP or tylenol on Amazon since all this started. I find myself checking for TP several times a day. Still can't find any in stores and I've been going to Walmart every morning after work. :/

A few days ago.  It could be region dependent.  There are one or two distribution centers here in Las Vegas, so that could make a difference.