~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

37 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I was there the first week of March (which already feels like a year ago). It was scheduled around when I could get time off and a cheap plane ticket, but now I'm really glad I went when I did. Any real travelling, especially to major cities, looks like it'll be off the menu for a while. 

I also wanted to go to Philadelphia, but that's at least in driving distance.  Maybe in late summer I could?  Who knows.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/world/europe/Spain-coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

So even in a country besieged by the coronavirus epidemic, where the death toll overtook China’s on Wednesday, the news this week about Spain’s nursing homes has come as a particular shock.

Soldiers who were sent to disinfect nursing homes had found people “completely abandoned, or even dead, in their beds,” the defense secretary, Margarita Robles, revealed on Monday. More gruesome discoveries followed, including the revelation of two dozen deaths in a single nursing home in Madrid.

Amid the thousands of tragedies created by the virus, the stories emerging from those homes have shaken the nation not only for their horror, but for undermining the view the Spanish had of themselves.

Countries across Western Europe, which have some of the oldest populations in the world, are struggling to protect the most vulnerable among their aging people — while also acknowledging that the crisis among the elderly, particularly in nursing homes, might be far worse than anyone knows yet.

In Italy, authorities have conceded that their coronavirus death toll did not include those who had died at home or in nursing homes. Similarly in France, officials have said that only those who died in hospitals had been recorded as pandemic-related — a practice they said would change in the coming days.

Makes you wonder how bad nursing homes here could be.

29 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/world/europe/Spain-coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

Makes you wonder how bad nursing homes here could be.

We're doing no better than those other countries as far as sweeping issues at nursing homes under the rug. I think I posted this here earlier, but I'll link to the story, just in case. There are more than 140 nursing homes that may end up being epicenters for COVID-19 outbreaks, but nobody is willing to say which nursing homes they might be.

Honestly, if I had family in a nursing home, I'd probably be looking to do whatever I can pull them out immediately.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

We're doing no better than those other countries as far as sweeping issues at nursing homes under the rug. I think I posted this here earlier, but I'll link to the story, just in case. There are more than 140 nursing homes that may end up being epicenters for COVID-19 outbreaks, but nobody is willing to say which nursing homes they might be.

Honestly, if I had family in a nursing home, I'd probably be looking to do whatever I can pull them out immediately.

I agree our nursing homes have always been a travesty. A lot of them are unfit for people to live in. Which is why I think they're probably being unreported.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-170-new-covid-19-infections-total-rises-to-858-1.4869257

Wow, ***k.... 170 new cases for ontario reported this morning. -.-

"Ontario health officials confirmed 170 new COVID-19 infections in the province on Thursday, bringing the total case count including deaths and recoveries to 858.

Ontario now has 837 active cases of novel coronavirus infection, eight clinically confirmed recoveries and 13 deaths."

WHO: There Are ‘Encouraging Signs’ From Italy’s Cornavirus Crisis

It’s the smallest glimmer of good news, but we’ll take it. The World Health Organization has said it’s seen “encouraging signs” that the coronavirus pandemic may be leveling off in Italy—the country that has suffered the highest death toll from the disease, ahead of Spain and China. However, the European news agency AFP said the WHO’s European office has also warned that it’s too early to say whether the worst is over for Italy. The country has reported a fall in the number of new coronavirus cases for four successive days, as well as a slight drop in the number of new deaths. As of Thursday morning, Italy, with a population of 60 million, has confirmed 74,386 cases, 7,503 deaths, and 9,362 recoveries. As Italy’s rate of new cases appears to slow down, it’s inevitable that the United States, with a population of around 330 million, will soon overtake the country with the second highest number of confirmed cases behind China.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh look, international cooperation pays off:

And yet the federal conservatives are out there spreading fud over this. They were doing a far better job when they kept their mouths shut but I guess they realized they can't breathe unless they spew bullshit (Questioning why we gave supplies to china, that they weren't responsible for the hold up a few days go on passing a bill, that the country wants a federal election in the heart of the recovery period). 

:facepalm:

Coronavirus: Pangolins found to carry related viruses

Scientists say the sale of the animals in wildlife markets should be strictly prohibited to minimise the risk of future outbreaks.

Pangolins are the most-commonly illegally trafficked mammal, used both as food and in traditional medicine.

In research published in the journal Nature, researchers say handling these animals requires "caution".

And they say further surveillance of wild pangolins is needed to understand their role in the risk of future transmission to human

Their are certain countries that claim anything that happens within their borders are "domestic issues".  It is clear that in 2020, there are very few "domestic" issues left -- the death and economic damage by China allowing (or not actively stopping) wildlife markets, and the trade in wild animals has caused widespread global damage.  We cannot forget this going forward.

22 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Dude this is my mother-in-law too. We're stuck in limbo right now waiting to hear back about how to move forward. Frustrating as fuck.

I hope everything works out. It is frustrating but I am trying not to think about it because I want to be able to work. My mom had Non-Hodkin's lymphoma. However right after recovery she developed Hodgkin's lymphoma. She hasn't chemo since early Jan and she still has sympthoms. We are waiting on a biopsy because the initial test was negative and the oncologist doesnt want to give her more chemo if shr doesnt need it. However her PET scans show activity and she still has on/off fever, night sweats, etc so she clearly has it still. 

She is a workaholic and is still going to work which is crazy considering her age/condition. She got sent home early because someone at her office tested positive and they closed down the Passaic social services office.

Atleast she called the oncologist to get a prescription for the test. Which in and of itself is ridiculous. Asymptomatic people seem to be the main spreaders of the virus and we aren't testing everyone. Such a charlie foxtrot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Forecasting something like this is an inexact science and it's better to err on the side of caution than not.

Yeah and this Alex Berenson fellow looks like a turd. But some possible good news is nice.

Coronavirus: Liquor licensed Ontario bars, restaurant can sell alcohol with takeout and delivery food

The Ontario government has amended a regulation that will allow bars and restaurants to sell alcohol as part of a food order for takeout or delivery due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Regulation 719 under the Liquor Licence Act has been altered to temporarily allow licensed bars and restaurants to sell beer, wine and spirits along with food. They cannot, however, sell alcohol without a food order.

The changes are effective immediately until Dec. 31, 2020.

32 minutes ago, Jose said:

Yeah and this Alex Berenson fellow looks like a turd. But some possible good news is nice.

Berenson is the author of a series of airport bookstore spy thrillers that feature a recurring CIA agent named "John Wells" and practically all of them have titles that begin with "The...".  He also wrote the modern equivalent of "Reefer Madness"

I had the misfortune of reading one of this spy novels several years ago, so I decided to let him know my opinion:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Seems to me one of the major issues here is that the US, as a whole, hasn't done a very good job of containing this. However, we're lucky that we're such a spread out nation. However, once you get to more crowded metros like NYC, it all goes to hell.

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I wonder what opinion polling on social distancing in London looked like prior to Prince Charles positive test to after. London is another dense metro area that could quickly spiral out of control if folks don't take social distancing as seriously as they should.