~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Jason said:
211210-covid-death-casket-se-1145a-c8205
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The United States passed another grim Covid-19 milestone Monday, as more than 800,000 Americans have now died from the virus.

Realistically there have probably been far more deaths in India (and maybe even Russia)...but that's not to diminish the deaths in America. Very sad, and almost certainly the majority were preventable.

You guys are obviously free to do what is best for you, but you need to factor into your decision making the fact that this is never going to end. The genie is never going back into the bottle, and vaccines/therapeutics are what we need to rely on at this point (unless you want to keep doing this forever). 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Chris- said:

You guys are obviously free to do what is best for you, but you need to factor into your decision making the fact that this is never going to end. The genie is never going back into the bottle, and vaccines/therapeutics are what we need to rely on at this point (unless you want to keep doing this forever). 

This is where I’m at. I’m happy to do things that provide reasonable levels of protection against the worst outcome, but knowing we are going to have variants bubbling up to the surface every 5-6 months forever means we do have to learn to live with it. I’m sorry for people like Riley’s wife who have chronic conditions that make the virus much more scary, but that is why we need our governments to keep pumping money into pharmaceutical remedies.

47 minutes ago, Chris- said:

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is where I’m at. I’m happy to do things that provide reasonable levels of protection against the worst outcome, but knowing we are going to have variants bubbling up to the surface every 5-6 months forever means we do have to learn to live with it. I’m sorry for people like Riley’s wife who have chronic conditions that make the virus much more scary, but that is why we need our governments to keep pumping money into pharmaceutical remedies.

You (Chris) are right, but I think there's still good reason to be cautious. Until everyone has caught it (or has some form of prior immunity) there is the risk of all immune-naïve people catching it at the same time, which would overload hospitals. Yes, this will become endemic (and lead to higher death rates for our lifetimes, and shorter average lifespans), but we still need to spread out the infection over years rather than weeks.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

You (Chris) are right, but I think there's still good reason to be cautious. Until everyone has caught it (or has some form of prior immunity) there is the risk of all immune-naïve people catching it at the same time, which would overload hospitals. Yes, this will become endemic (and lead to higher death rates for our lifetimes, and shorter average lifespans), but we still need to spread out the infection over years rather than weeks.

Isn’t that what is going on? We are close to two years into this thing, so we are already on the years timescale.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Isn’t that what is going on? We are close to two years into this thing, so we are already on the years timescale.

Correct. But we only have something like 10-30% of the population left to catch it/be vaccinated (depending on where you live), so it's important to still spread it out as much as possible. Right now if we dropped all measures and let Omicron spread, both Canada and the US would likely see hospital systems completely overrun. 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Correct. But we only have something like 10-30% of the population left to catch it/be vaccinated (depending on where you live), so it's important to still spread it out as much as possible. Right now if we dropped all measures and let Omicron spread, both Canada and the US would likely see hospital systems completely overrun. 

We have states that have dropped all measures for more than a year now and despite tight conditions at peaks, there was never this overrun. My reading of the situation is that the populations pretty naturally restricts behaviors when the situation begin to worsen, which is part of why we see such a notable cycle with minor variation in slope on either side. Would everybody be better of with more sensible mitigation strategies? I would think so. But I don't think you can change culture in such a way that more individualistic regions will suddenly become more communal.

Outside of a small fraction, the rest of this pandemic is really up to each person on whether or not they are going to get a little bit sick or potentially very sick. Unless you are willing to do a significant amount of isolation over the next few years, Covid is coming for you at some point.

12 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

At this point, I don't care.

I don't care if I'm vaxxed, boosted, or whatever.

Come on Omicron, just take me already and let me die.

Don't talk like that, man. I get it, but don't let it get to you. We're all here if you need us. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I don't care anymore.  If I die, I die.  It's not I have anything to look forward to anyway.

That's just the depression and anxiety talking. I've been there. Ignore those thoughts. There's plenty in life to look forward to, even if you don't see anything right now, new opportunities will present themselves. Plus think of those around you who would miss you. Stay strong for them, and reach out for help if you need it. Like I said, we're all here for you. We're a pretty tight knit community, and I'm sure anyone of us would be willing to help you out, even if it's just to talk. 

• Guillotine 1

24 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I don't care anymore.  If I die, I die.  It's not I have anything to look forward to anyway.

Bullshit. There is always better days ahead man. Don't let your current situation bring you down. If you can please reach out to people you can talk to or even just PM some of us on the boards to just have a friendly chat. :hug:

4 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

At this point, I don't care.

I don't care if I'm vaxxed, boosted, or whatever.

Come on Omicron, just take me already and let me die.

Hey man, I’m in the same boat. My failure to stop using drugs cost me my marriage. I think about driving my car into an overpass column at 120+ mph all day every day. 

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I have nothing to look forward to.

How many times do I have to say it?

There is nothing.  I am done.  If I die in my sleep due to a heart attack, I don't care.

And even if that doesn't happen, what does it matter?  Global warming, Covid, or something else will kill us all within the next 30 years or so.

The world 100% will not be ending anywhere near 30 years from now.

Weren’t you seeking help? If money is an issue, we’d all be very happy to chip in and assist.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

The world 100% will not be ending anywhere near 30 years from now.

Weren’t you seeking help? If money is an issue, we’d all be very happy to chip in and assist.

Yes, I'm seeking help, and even got a prescription for an anti-depressant.

Maybe I should just stay out of this thread for a while.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:49 PM, sblfilms said:

I was at a social event last night and as everything was winding down I ended up at a table with two of my good friends and one older guy I’ve known a long time. All three are anti-Covid vax to various degrees. The old guy though is straight up your-uncle-who-gets-his-research-from-FB-memes guy.

So one of my friends is being really cheeky and trying to bait me into defending the vaccine program primarily by riling the old guy up. And it works, unfortunately 😂 But it was really cordial despite mind numbing trying to refute each false claim (all the normal things you’ve heard over the last year).

But out of the blue some rando that none of us knew comes to our table and asks if we are talking about mRNA vaccines, to which we all nod yes. He says something like “Great, I have a PhD in Molecular Biology so I’m very familiar with the subject. You shouldn’t call them vaccines, they aren’t, it’s gene therapy.”

And of course the alarm bells start ringing!

He walked off and I thought I had dodged a bullet, but he comes back a few minutes later. At this point I had tried to steer the conversation away from the vaccines to a different topic I love to talk about, risk assessment and how we are very bad at it.

But rando now sits down and tries to bring it back to the vaccines. He goes through all the same pseudo-science nonsense we have all dealt with, but he then brings up the “why get vaccinated if it doesn’t stop infection?” thing that has become a favorite talking point.

Being a more than 20 year veteran of message board discussions I already knew the guy wasn’t really interested in discussing the merits of that issue, so I asked if he was interested in the answer to that question or was it just wrapping on his actual position. “I know the answer” he says. And I said “for those who don’t, no vaccine stops all infection but most will still decrease the worst outcomes of the disease for those who do get infected”

Guy tries to claim this isn’t true and that vaccines stop all infection. He points to the smallpox vaccine and says you get vaccinated with that and you’ll have protection for 15-20 years from any infection. I said that claim isn’t true.

He then for the third time mentions he has a PhD in molecular biology, at which I cut him of I say “I do not care about your credentials”.

Fam, nothing makes people with letters after their name hotter than saying you aren’t impressed by that. He was so mad. I don’t think I’ve ever did something so small that made a person so incredibly angry. My cousin was there and made us leave quickly because she was like “I’ve seen too many episodes of 48hrs, that’s how you get killed” 😂

I know somebody with a biology degree. Like just a regular bachelors. And he's tries to say that because he studied some type of biology that he knows this and that. It's a bachelors from a middling university too so not like he was getting cutting edge guidance. it's hilarious and sad.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

California is ordering a statewide mask mandate for indoor public spaces to go into effect on Wednesday.

a lot of places dont even bother enforcing it now so i doubt that will change. they have the signs up but a lot of employees dont care to fight them on it. 

106879908-1620402820539-apple.jpg?v=1620
WWW.CNBC.COM

Customers at Apple stores in the United States will be required to wear face masks to shop as Covid cases rise around the country.

Customers at Apple stores in the United States will be required to wear face masks to shop as Covid cases rise around the country.

Previously, Apple only required masks in some U.S. stores in regions that required them. Tuesday’s announcement means that Apple will require them for shoppers even in states that don’t require indoor masking.

The reinstatement of the mask mandate raises questions about how normal the holiday shopping season as coronavirus restrictions are put back into place because of rising concern over the Omnicron variant, which appears to be more transmissible.

• Like 2