~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

eb3c6ada83b405d57dbb43be6db5f2d6de6a9933
WWW.FRANCE24.COM

The Omicron variant has moved the Covid-19 pandemic into a new phase and could bring it to an end in Europe, the WHO Europe director said Sunday.

The Omicron variant has moved the Covid-19 pandemic into a new phase and could bring it to an end in Europe, the WHO Europe director said Sunday.

"It's plausible that the region is moving towards a kind of pandemic endgame," Hans Kluge told AFP in an interview, adding that Omicron could infect 60 percent of Europeans by March.

Once the current surge of Omicron currently sweeping across Europe subsides, "there will be for quite some weeks and months a global immunity, either thanks to the vaccine or because people have immunity due to the infection, and also lowering seasonality".

"We anticipate that there will be a period of quiet before Covid-19 may come back towards the end of the year, but not necessarily the pandemic coming back," Kluge said.

Top US scientist Anthony Fauci expressed similar optimism on Sunday.

He told ABC News talk show "This Week" that with Covid-19 cases coming down "rather sharply" in parts of the United States, "things are looking good".

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

eb3c6ada83b405d57dbb43be6db5f2d6de6a9933
WWW.FRANCE24.COM

Counterpoint:

3GG6PCWYNBP4NLFNOIO5QOK6UI.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday that it was dangerous to assume the Omicron variant would herald the end of COVID-19's acutest phase, exhorting nations to stay focused to beat the pandemic.

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday that it was dangerous to assume the Omicron variant would herald the end of COVID-19's acutest phase, exhorting nations to stay focused to beat the pandemic.

"It’s dangerous to assume that Omicron will be the last variant and that we are in the end game," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a WHO executive board meeting of the two-year pandemic that has killed nearly 6 million people.

"On the contrary, globally the conditions are ideal for more variants to emerge."

To summarize, the overall WHO Director told the WHO Europe Director to shut his trap.

Oh for sure, it's entirely possible that a new mutation could make it 10x deadlier. As long as the increased mortality doesn't reduce spread (for example, if people could still be contagious for a few days prior to developing extreme symptoms) then there's nothing precluding it. After all, Alpha/Delta were more virulent and more contagious than the OG strain. 

The one thing helping us is that prior infection or vaccination will still impart some level of protection (especially against severe illness) regardless of mutation, provided that the mutation is not incredibly extreme. 

Everyone in my office has been ordered back for at least 40% of the time (since we are a school division and it's bad optics apparently for anyone, even IT, to be WFH while kids are all getting sick in the classroom). However, my manager just told me I can continue to WFH due to my wife's medical conditions, so I am thankful for that. 

• Like 2

I can’t get a test for my daughter scheduled because apparently I owe my pediatrician money for routine check ups (which are usually covered 100% with my insurance) because they billed the insurance for a person who doesn’t exist. They used my wife’s last name and not mine, the name my daughters use, so insurance denied the claim and I can’t get them to figure anything the fuck out. I may just pay the $400 I’m on the hook for and get it over with. 

4 hours ago, Brick said:

I've never been a fan of his music, and to me is a poor man's Bob Dylan (whom I am also not a fan of (just not my style of music to be clear, nothing against the men)), but I respect him for this, that's for sure. :thumbup:

I don’t understand this comparison. Is it because they are both singer songwriters? I feel like they both have completely different vibes.

2 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I don’t understand this comparison. Is it because they are both singer songwriters? I feel like they both have completely different vibes.

They're similar genre, are they not? Maybe I'm completely off because again it's not my type of music, but when I hear Neil Young on the radio, it sounds similar to Bob Dylan's style of music. 

38 minutes ago, Brick said:

They're similar genre, are they not? Maybe I'm completely off because again it's not my type of music, but when I hear Neil Young on the radio, it sounds similar to Bob Dylan's style of music. 

To me their voices sound so different. But I totally get when you’re not really fan of a certain genre how so much of it can sound samey. That’s how I am with contemporary country.

58 minutes ago, Komusha said:

To me their voices sound so different. But I totally get when you’re not really fan of a certain genre how so much of it can sound samey. That’s how I am with contemporary country.

Oh their voices are different for sure, but their style is similar. 

8 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Someone at my wife's company just tested positive. We took home tests and were negative, but just went and did a PCR test as well.

Both negative.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Korea. Over 50% of the population is now boosted, but omicron has just started to take hold. Today was the highest number of cases, a record that will be broken tomorrow.

• Like 3