So. It’s 2019. I started up Skyrim from new again.....

maddux4163

I've bought this game THREE times now and will probably buy it a fourth time for PSVR just to experience the world in VR. The melee combat is horrid by today's standards and I remember when the game first came out I hoped the melee would have more weight and feel more impactful. There were games that at the time had done a really good job of conveying first person melee combat (Condemned and Dead Island are two that come to mind.) I hope to GOD they get this right for the next game because judging by Elder Scrolls Online, They still ain't figured it out yet, But yeah, I LOVES me some Skyrim.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Skyrim is the sort of game where you put 60 hours into it the first time since it's new and big...and then you fondly remember about 2 hours of it, and keep coming back (and then dropping it) because of that false memory of how good it all was.

I don't know about all that... the combat isn't very good, at least the Melee combat isn't, but the world and the exploration is STILL very well done. I would be probably still be playing the game if the combat wasn't so mundane because almost everything else is amazing especially if you're REALLY into role playing and creating new character builds with certain rules.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:02 AM, Xbob42 said:

I enjoyed Skyrim for a time, think I had more fun modding it than I did playing it at some point. I eagerly await a game in this genre to reach something nearing its potential.

I know the perspectives are different, but do you not think Witcher 3 is similar in scope and discovery? I've been of the opinion, even if it's not my favorite game from this generation, that Witcher 3 was this gen's Skyrim in that sense, though Cyberpunk may take the cake on that due to its verticality, which to me, gives a combo of a populated lively world like a GTA city with the adventure of something like Witcher or Elder Scrolls.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I know the perspectives are different, but do you not think Witcher 3 is similar in scope and discovery? I've been of the opinion, even if it's not my favorite game from this generation, that Witcher 3 was this gen's Skyrim in that sense, though Cyberpunk may take the cake on that due to its verticality, which to me, gives a combo of a populated lively world like a GTA city with the adventure of something like Witcher or Elder Scrolls.

I'm aware it might sound bizarre to other people, but I barely consider these two games to be in the same genre. In my head, Skyrim is all about world interaction and doing weird shit, while The Witcher is specifically about narrative that happens to take place in a massive world. Which is why Skyrim and other Bethesda games disappoint me; they have slightly more world interaction than a lot of games, but not enough to really sell the idea of you toying with the world, and basically anything and everything you do is janky. If your spells could cause actual environmental destruction (or creation) and that had an impact on how the game was played, I'd be far more tolerant of how shoddily they're put together. But Bethesda titles completely lack any sort of mechanical ambition.

Thinking about it further, I always find it hard to take Bethesda games seriously narratively as well because the people making the games cannot fathom your character being anything less than the All-Father, capable of being the leader of every single organization in the game and the doer of all deeds, good and bad. The Witcher has a similar amount of quests yet almost every single one of them relates to his very particular set of skills, he becomes more important than he wants to be and isn't the most powerful person in the world. Bethesda games feel like power fantasies written by excited 10 year olds in terms of setting up the character, who is also silent to boot.

Superficially they're nearly identical, but when you actually play them I consider the two to be very, VERY different types of games.

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm aware it might sound bizarre to other people, but I barely consider these two games to be in the same genre. In my head, Skyrim is all about world interaction and doing weird shit, while The Witcher is specifically about narrative that happens to take place in a massive world. Which is why Skyrim and other Bethesda games disappoint me; they have slightly more world interaction than a lot of games, but not enough to really sell the idea of you toying with the world, and basically anything and everything you do is janky. If your spells could cause actual environmental destruction (or creation) and that had an impact on how the game was played, I'd be far more tolerant of how shoddily they're put together. But Bethesda titles completely lack any sort of mechanical ambition.

Thinking about it further, I always find it hard to take Bethesda games seriously narratively as well because the people making the games cannot fathom your character being anything less than the All-Father, capable of being the leader of every single organization in the game and the doer of all deeds, good and bad. The Witcher has a similar amount of quests yet almost every single one of them relates to his very particular set of skills, he becomes more important than he wants to be and isn't the most powerful person in the world. Bethesda games feel like power fantasies written by excited 10 year olds in terms of setting up the character, who is also silent to boot.

Superficially they're nearly identical, but when you actually play them I consider the two to be very, VERY different types of games.

Yeah, I agree with that. They're both open-world RPGs, there are branching narratives depending on the choices you make, but the approach is completely different. But as far as something nearing its potential, what would you be looking for? I read your post as saying you were waiting for an RPG to near Skyrim's potential.

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, I agree with that. They're both open-world RPGs, there are branching narratives depending on the choices you make, but the approach is completely different. But as far as something nearing its potential, what would you be looking for? I read your post as saying you were waiting for an RPG to near Skyrim's potential.

While my favorite games are almost something I didn't know I wanted rather than what I thought I wanted, in this case it'd be something much closer to how people talk about Skyrim and other Bethesda games: Go anywhere, do anything. Basically a sandbox RPG. Same setup of lots of quests and things to do and powers to gain, but more meaningful and impactful world interaction, whether that's something like being able to set up ropes to climb or zip from place to place or literally using your magic to blow up parts of a mountain to make it easier to climb, it doesn't matter, just something more interesting.

The combat being actually fun and reactive rather than mushy and depressing by itself would also be a huge factor in my enjoyment. You can't have combat be such a huge time sink in your game and then have it suck. That's just wrong. While they're on that, hire at least 1 animator instead of having the janitor trying his hand at animating every game would also go a long way towards selling me that I'm interacting with people in a world rather than automatons.

Also, let me kill absolutely anyone. At least the Outer Worlds got that part right. Mostly. Still hid some important NPCs behind unbreakable glass which is just as bad as just having them be immortal in my opinion, but it was only 1 or 2.

Bring back the crazy shit from older Bethesda games! Some folks newer to the series may not remember, but the older games had some really badass spells, for example:

Now that's fast travel that fits the world and the abilities of your character! I'd love to see a return to this sort of more freeform gameplay, on top of it not just allowing you to move in interesting ways, but also allowing you to change the world you're in.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:11 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I was among those that were unhappy with the "stream lining" of the ES games starting with Oblivion. That said, I've played through Skyrim 3 times start to finish now and despite its jank ass combat and tragic UI, it just scratches an itch most other games don't. 

My baby will always be Morrowind. Put 300+ hours into it as a young 15 year old and had never seen anything like it. Drove 2 hours to find the strategy guide a book store (well had my mom drive me) because the game demanded it for me basically. For some reason Walmart and GameStop didn’t have the guide in my area. Some random book store we called had it. Ahhh. Those were the days. 

On 12/9/2019 at 6:08 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

The narrative in an elder scrolls game might as well not exist. You can play it for hours and not even do the main quest and when you do the main quest it is just presented so blandly and is totally forgettable.

Side quests are super fun. Just met a random dude in Solitude. He wanted me to put out the fire on the light house so the boat would crash, we loot it and split the gold. So I did that, met up with him and he advised me to go meet his colleague to get my part of the loot 

Well it was a setup. I was being used. The loot was already moved out to a nearby cave. So I killed his Black bloods crew and went off in search of the cave to get my loot and revenge. The cave was loot heaven and I got my revenge. Almost left, but then read a journal that said the real loot was stashed under the sea in a master locked chest. Went and got it 

Pretty long quest with plot twists for a simple random side quest. 

Also, had I never read the captains journal, never would have gotten the main loot. 

it’s thing like that 

2 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

My baby will always be Morrowind. Put 300+ hours into it as a young 15 year old and had never seen anything like it. Drove 2 hours to find the strategy guide a book store (well had my mom drive me) because the game demanded it for me basically. For some reason Walmart and GameStop didn’t have the guide in my area. Some random book store we called had it. Ahhh. Those were the days. 

Yeah, Morrowind was peak ES according to me, you, and most fans that played from the beginning of the series. Its certainly dated now, but the level of depth in it was amazing! Cliff Racers can go to Hell though! For all time! 

If you want to see what got me into this series. Read the introduction into the Morrowind instruction booklet. Ahhhhhhhh. So good. 

The essence of any Elder Scrolls role-playing game has always been simple: let you do what you want, and make sure you have fun doing it. Huge, detailed, and open-ended are words that frequently come up when talking about ARENA, DAGGERFALL, and now MORROWIND. We don’t believe a good role-playing game should restrict you from making choices, even if they’re bad ones. Go ahead and play a wizard that wears heavy armor. You can do it, but remember that it’s another skill to learn and might take time away from your magical studies.
One of the first questions people usually ask us is, “What do I do in this game?” The answer we give is inevitably “Well, what do you want to do?” Do you want to be a noble knight or a treacherous swine? Do you want people to like you? Do you want people to loathe and fear you? Do you prefer casting spells, wielding swords, or both? Want to plunder dungeons and tombs? Rise to head of a guild? Gather information from everyone about everything? Whatever your interests, there’s plenty for you to do.
One minute you may be gazing up at the moons and stars over the plains or out for a swim in the Sea of Ghosts, and running for your life from a cliff racer or slaughterfish the next. Any place in MORROWIND can quickly turn deadly. Vvardenfell, the setting for MORROWIND, is a culturally and geographically diverse place, dominated by the volcanic Red Mountain and surrounding wastelands. You’ll find the island’s population in a variety of different settlements, including small fishing villages with stick huts, strange towns where houses that look like large bug shells are used for housing, dwellings made of giant mushrooms grown by mages, and the majestic ancient city of Vivec.
Everywhere you go you will find an assortment of do-gooders, scoundrels, eccentrics, and ordinary people just trying to make their way in the world. How you choose to interact with them is entirely up to you, and as a result you will find your gameplay experience may be completely different from anyone else’s. Trust whom you will, dispatch whomever you want, but be prepared for the consequences.
MORROWIND is filled with things for you to do...hundreds and hundreds of things. During your efforts to complete the main quest or rise to power in a faction, don’t forget to leave the beaten path now and then to see what’s over the next ridge. Or, talk to people you meet to see what problems or assistance they may reveal to you. It is in these moments, and thousands of others like them, that you will forget the real world — sometimes for much longer than you intended—and lose yourself in ours. Perhaps it’ll be spent searching for a lost artifact that is rumored to be hidden in a tomb. Maybe you’ll choose a side in a war between rival guilds.
No matter what your preference, there’s no right or wrong way to play MORROWIND. – The MORROWIND Team

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, Morrowind was peak ES according to me, you, and most fans that played from the beginning of the series. Its certainly dated now, but the level of depth in it was amazing! Cliff Racers can go to Hell though! For all time! 

Cliff Racers were the bane of my existence. Also getting lost in Vivec city 

On 12/6/2019 at 4:02 AM, Xbob42 said:

I enjoyed Skyrim for a time, think I had more fun modding it than I did playing it at some point. I eagerly await a game in this genre to reach something nearing its potential.

I’m weird. As you know, I’m a huge PC gamer the past 5-6 years. I buy the latest and greatest hardware (not so much anymore as I realized there was NO point) but I’ve never modded a game ever and look at that as a sin for some reason 

Like it could break the game or mess up (albeit useless) steam achievements eh? 

No good reasons, but yeah. Never have modded anything. Never even overclocked any of my hardware EVER 

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I have never had a mod mess up the game or the achievements, and even if they did, you can easily disable them. I think I understand where that mentality comes from, but Bethesda games are way better with at least a few high quality mods. Give a simple one a shot!

I feel that for sure. Bethesda is a QA nightmare and mods for their games are why people still play a majority of them on PC to this day. 

Me playing vanilla Skyrim on a gaming rig that’s a generation ahead of that game is odd when I can Mod it and make even just lifestyle fixes and tweaks. 

I am sure I will Mod Skyrim. But this is my first run on the “remastered” version ever. Played vanilla on Xbox 360/PC way back in the day. So I’ll at least finish the main quest and then use it as a complete sandbox and make my GPU crawl I’m sure. 

Although it’s not like I have the worlds greatest one anyways. GTX 1070 purchased from a board member on here. But truly I can Max out almost anything at 1440p. I’ve realized that’s enough. Until next gen starts, I’m good. So maybe next year or 2021 for me getting a new card 

I can never accept the fact I bought a GTX 780 ($699) and GTX 780 TI ($749) Back to back. God almighty 

On 12/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Skyrim is the sort of game where you put 60 hours into it the first time since it's new and big...and then you fondly remember about 2 hours of it, and keep coming back (and then dropping it) because of that false memory of how good it all was.

Yep.

I've tried to beat Skyrim probably 5+ times since my best friend deleted my save file on the 360 all those years ago. I've never even come close and haven't even touched the expansions yet.