James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

That's nice for Gunn but why do you think Disney will think they made a mistake? Disney will be fine with or without Gunn. 

Your right Disney doesn't need Gunn but Disney cares about money. Losing Gunn and potentially having to recast a new GotG is money. Disney will be fine with out Gunn but I'm sure they will get some kind of backlash because of this stupid controversy when it comes with the GotG franchise. It's up to Disney if they care enough to do one last GotG or just scrap it and focus on something else.

They should just wait until some crazy news day and quietly hire him back.

What's funny is that if they would have done nothing at all, it surely would have blown over in a day or two and no one would have cared one lick.

It’s a theme party and he’s dressed like a priest. I don’t really see a problem with that besides the fact that’s it’s 2018 now. I doubt a conservative has ever hung out with the drama kids in high school or college but I could see them doing something similar. I would only have a problem with it if underage girls were at the party. 

Another reminder to not post anything personal on the internet. 

James Gunn at least at some point was a gross person, and more and more evidence of this behavior continues to surface. Hopefully he is a genuinely changed person as those closest to him believe. His brother’s post about him was especially resonate.

But let’s stop defending his past behavior.

”It was just some tweets 10 years ago!”

errr 

“it was just some tweets and blogs 6 years ago!”

errrrrrrr

”it was just tweets, blogs, and costume parties!”

stop it.

42 minutes ago, johnny said:

It’s a theme party and he’s dressed like a priest. I don’t really see a problem with that besides the fact that’s it’s 2018 now. I doubt a conservative has ever hung out with the drama kids in high school or college but I could see them doing something similar. I would only have a problem with it if underage girls were at the party. 

Another reminder to not post anything personal on the internet. 

Especially not to post pictures on your own website attending a party called "To Catch A Predator" where you're playing the part of one of the predators. :jordan: 

Heaven forbid the guy attends costume parties! Guess that one year I dressed up as Freddie Kruger meant I went around killing teens in their dreams.

Also, referencing an Ian Miles Cheong Tweet? That guy is real, complete scum. Probably got this "news" from Breitbart.

Word is that Marvel is trying to renegotiate Gunn's return to the MCU with Disney in someway.

57 minutes ago, Brick said:

Heaven forbid the guy attends costume parties! Guess that one year I dressed up as Freddie Kruger meant I went around killing teens in their dreams.

Also, referencing an Ian Miles Cheong Tweet? That guy is real, complete scum. Probably got this "news" from Breitbart.

Word is that Marvel is trying to renegotiate Gunn's return to the MCU with Disney in someway.

Is that Chris Hardwick in the goth rocker one? 

Also yes it says right on Ian Miles Cheong's Twitter bio that he works for Daily Caller, which is run by Tucker Carlson. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Ok so if he wasn't at a pedo-party but at a "costume party" where everyone was white but were in blackface, that would be cool too?

Why is it so out of the realm of possibility for some of you guys that some of us find child rape inherently unfunny and offensive?

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why is it so out of the realm of possibility for some of you guys that some of us find child rape inherently unfunny and offensive?

Hold up, are you seriously asking why a group of white guys are indignant about being reproached for less-than ideal behavior?

*breathes in*

:jordan:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ok so if he wasn't at a pedo-party but at a "costume party" where everyone was white but were in blackface, that would be cool too?

It wasn't a "pedo-party", it was a bad taste gag about To Catch A Predator being a big hipster irony-show years back, so he was making fun of pedophile priests. 

As for the joking, I don't find child rape funny, but humour to some is a coping mechanism, and James Gunn was abused as a child, laughed at by his parents, not believed when he told anyone, and the monsignor at his Catholic school was abusing other kids as well. That kind of shit is going to stick with someone, and like I said jokes are a coping mechanism to some; I don't find 9/11 jokes funny, but Pete Davidson of SNL has made 9/11 jokes and his own father died in the attacks. 

I'm just sick of this smear campaign by MAGA morons and neo Nazis to try and discredit Gunn. They tried attacking him with his old Tweets, and how that there is word of Disney possibly rehiring him, they're trying again to dig up some old shit of his. So far this new stuff is only being talked about by Breitbart, and I haven't seen any other news source talking about it. 

The guy made some bad jokes 6-10 years ago, but I'm willing to forgive him because he's proven to be a much better joke teller, and person overall since then. 

• Thanks 1

Because he's behind the Guardians movies is why fans are coming to his defense. If Gunn was a nobody he'd not only be universally shamed but probably investigated by authorities. But because some people can't live without their cheesy sci-fi films... The guy said some scummy things in his early 40's...when he was all grown up as he is now. There's no excuse for it and you can try to kill the messenger all you want but the evidence is already there. Now I can see how some of the things he said was him trying to be edgy in Hollyweird but things like when he said how he thought it was great that an animal jerked off on some kid on the set shows the man has no empathy for children. Any future movies the guy makes I hope he won't be directing kids. Not because I think he will do anything to them but because he clearly doesn't care for their well being. 

I am squarely on the side of "nothing is sacred" when it comes to humor. I am also a believer in anything you say regardless of when,where or how is on you.

Nothing Gunn tweeted offends me but I also dont find any of it funny either, it all reads like an some 15 yr old edgelord. Its no surprise Disney parted ways with him and if I was them I would have done the same.

On a side note I always find it interesting of where something crosses the line for folks. Would people still hand wave away Gunns tweets if they were racist black jokes or jokes about the LGBT community?

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Because he's behind the Guardians movies is why fans are coming to his defense. If Gunn was a nobody he'd not only be universally shamed but probably investigated by authorities. But because some people can't live without their cheesy sci-fi films... The guy said some scummy things in his early 40's...when he was all grown up as he is now. There's no excuse for it and you can try to kill the messenger all you want but the evidence is already there. Now I can see how some of the things he said was him trying to be edgy in Hollyweird but things like when he said how he thought it was great that an animal jerked off on some kid on the set shows the man has no empathy for children. Any future movies the guy makes I hope he won't be directing kids. Not because I think he will do anything to them but because he clearly doesn't care for their well being. 

What a bunch of horseshit.

35 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

On a side note I always find it interesting of where something crosses the line for folks. Would people still hand wave away Gunns tweets if they were racist black jokes or jokes about the LGBT community?

Nah because a pedophilia joke doesn't make one a pedophile, but a racist joke is racist. 

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

James Gunn at least at some point was a gross person, and more and more evidence of this behavior continues to surface. Hopefully he is a genuinely changed person as those closest to him believe. His brother’s post about him was especially resonate.

But let’s stop defending his past behavior.

”It was just some tweets 10 years ago!”

errr 

“it was just some tweets and blogs 6 years ago!”

errrrrrrr

”it was just tweets, blogs, and costume parties!”

stop it.

Yeah - this latest nugget (and you know there have to be others out there) hasn;t really changed my feelings about the issue, beyond feeling increasingly annoyed by everyone who feels as though its their mission to "save" Gunn or GottG3.

Curious if these photos are/were really as readily accessible as the articles suggest.

41 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

Yeah - this latest nugget (and you know there have to be others out there) hasn;t really changed my feelings about the issue, beyond feeling increasingly annoyed by everyone who feels as though its their mission to "save" Gunn or GottG3.

Curious if these photos are/were really as readily accessible as the articles suggest.

They were once posted on Gunns blog site where he was describing what kind of parties he attends.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Huh?

I'm saying that if Gunn was going around making racist/homophobic right now, then I wouldn't be defending them because that's just gross. Making a pedophilia joke, while gross, doesn't mean you're a pedophile, but if you're going around making racist jokes, well you probably got some racism problems (see Roseanne).

7 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm saying that if Gunn was going around making racist/homophobic right now, then I wouldn't be defending them because that's just gross. Making a pedophilia joke, while gross, doesn't mean you're a pedophile, but if you're going around making racist jokes, well you probably got some racism problems (see Roseanne).

I don't know that there's really any difference (in that you could make racist jokes and not be a racist), but as a society we just decided that racist/homophobic jokes cross the line.