James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Of course I'm not... my intellect pales in comparison to the mental giants on this board. I'm just a dumb ass who thinks people can follow basic narratives without needing to go to the internet. But what the fuck do I know? I've just worked in marketing and film and television for most of my adult life... 

1. Nobody called you dumb. I do think you’re trying to gin up conflict for no good reason.

2. You’re an editor. If I have a question about L-cuts, I’ll defer to your expertise. Otherwise I give equal weight to whatever it is you, or Kal, or greatone, or the other actual thinkers who post here. I give no weight @Keyser_Soze though :p

I’m really confused as to why it’s so hard to understand and accept that people don’t know what goes into the production of the entertainment they like.

I was at PAX East this year. In line to play PUBG at the official PUBG booth. While we were waiting, we were talking to the people next to us about the hundreds of hours they logged and the hundreds of dollars they’d spent on the Steam marketplace for cosmetics. 

Brendan Greene came up to the booth and was talking to the guys coordinating each match. 

I turned to the guys I was talking to and said, “oh hey that’s Brendan Greene.”

”Who?”

”Uh... PlayerUnknown?”

”PlayerUnknown is a person?”

”Yup.”

”I thought it was called that because the game has no story and there’s matchmaking.”

People. Don’t. Care. Not EVERYONE. Some people obviously care a lot. But in general, they just don’t. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Of course I'm not... my intellect pales in comparison to the mental giants on this board. I'm just a dumb ass who thinks people can follow basic narratives without needing to go to the internet. But what the fuck do I know? I've just worked in marketing and film and television for most of my adult life...  back on topic, Disney has nothing to worry about in firing James Gunn and replacing the whole goddamned cast because audiences are clearly too dumb to notice anyway.

Nobody is calling you dumb. Why are you taking this so personally? 

Most people won’t notice James Gunn was fired because they don’t know who writes or directs movies. So that’s true. 

They’d recognize a new cast, I don’t think anyone said they wouldn’t. But they won’t care that much. Fuck man get John Cena to do it and not only would people not care they’d probably be psyched. 

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m really confused as to why it’s so hard to understand and accept that people don’t know what goes into the production of the entertainment they like.

I was at PAX East this year. In line to play PUBG at the official PUBG booth. While we were waiting, we were talking to the people next to us about the hundreds of hours they logged and the hundreds of dollars they’d spent on the Steam marketplace for cosmetics. 

Brendan Greene came up to the booth and was talking to the guys coordinating each match. 

I turned to the guys I was talking to and said, “oh hey that’s Brendan Greene.”

”Who?”

”Uh... PlayerUnknown?”

”PlayerUnknown is a person?”

”Yup.”

”I thought it was called that because the game has no story and there’s matchmaking.”

LOL, I play PUBG all the time (at least a couple hours a day) and recently saw a Larry Hyrb from Xbox video where he went to Korea to the PUBG studio and Brendan was interviewed. I had no idea until you posted this that he is Playerunknown, though I did know PU was a person!

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think there was contradiction in fact, only (maybe) in conclusion. Great thinks people don’t think about the movie past the exit doors because they are dumb, I just think they don’t care :p

To be fair, I think it's both, and they aren't mutually exclusive. But! Otherwise, your post is completely on point. :)

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Of course I'm not... my intellect pales in comparison to the mental giants on this board. I'm just a dumb ass who thinks people can follow basic narratives without needing to go to the internet. But what the fuck do I know? I've just worked in marketing and film and television for most of my adult life...  back on topic, Disney has nothing to worry about in firing James Gunn and replacing the whole goddamned cast because audiences are clearly too dumb to notice anyway.

This has nothing to do with your personal qualifications. 

You're simply wrong in terms of general people. Not movie fans - you're right there. Not MCU fans - of course they know. But people who casually or barely frequent movies, which is most of humanity? Nope, they don't know shit about any of this, or barely do. Many average people don't know dick (and don't care to know) about movies, the MCU, etc. Like you, I find it almost unbelievable that people can't logically figure out that of course there will be more Marvel movies, of course most of those MCU characters are coming back, and of course given the overt (but complete) Infinity War that there will be a movie at some point that will wrap up what Infinity War left hanging.

But no. We don't live in that world where people can easily suss that out. Whether people don't care and/or are fucking stupid (and anyone paying attention to politics like you and sblfilms knows many, many people are stupid), they just don't know. But it is true - I experienced it in the very theater my wife and I sat in when we saw Infinity War - both times. It's sad but it's true. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Cool... you guys broke me. You're right, I'm wrong, congratulations! I have work to do... just editing...  which apparently is all I do in this business :lol: Carry on. Sorry to derail the thread :peace:

I haven't insulted you once or said you're just an editor. But I can call up family members and friends right now that don't know anything about Infinity War or the MCU. Are they representative of general humanity, as there are billions of people who have never seen Infinity War or the MCU? Yes - overwhelmingly so. 

No one denies that of the people who watched Infinity War, some of course knew everything we did. But to claim that most know that stuff? I have film fan friends who don't know half of what some of us (including you) on this board know.

So yes, I think you are wrong because throughout my life most people I know don't know much about a lot of things, and that includes movies. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again @skillzdadirecta - you are way too combative a person who never simply accepts they could be wrong. Hell, you almost never even change from your initial position unless it is clear and obvious that you are wrong.

You're a stubborn person - it's simply true. It creates a combativeness that is not fun to engage in debate-wise. You always think you are so right that the definitive way you speak comes off less like you know what you're talking about and more like ego-ism. You often cite the fallacy to authority as a reason you should know more than others about all films and TV, or close thereto. I've seen and read your posts for years - this is my hot take. Your poor spelling and grammar doesn't help either.

For instance - I went to the 7th best college preparatory school in the country, I got 3 bachelor of arts degrees from one of the best small liberal arts universities in the country, I have a legal degree from one of the best law schools in the country, and I'm currently getting my graduate business degree from one of the best graduate business schools in the country. I've also been an obsessive film fan my entire life. My wife is a director, actress, and editor herself. 

Notice I cited none of that in any of my points in this thread until now. Hell, I only mention my law degree on the CEB only when law issues are directly addressed. Someone confident in their point doesn't need to cite their own authority to prove themselves - they just make the point and if it is correct, it should be convincing enough to convince others. 

You want to be taken so seriously you're tiring. If you simply don't agree with us - fine. But the childish rebuttals are unnecessary. I'm not saying you are childish, but your rebuttals and behavior sometimes are. :)

• Guillotine 2

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Cool... you guys broke me. You're right, I'm wrong, congratulations! I have work to do... just editing...  which apparently is all I do in this business :lol: Carry on. Sorry to derail the thread :peace:

It is the only thing you’ve said you do *professionally*. But obviously I’ve said something that offended you and while I don’t know what that is, I’m sorry. 

PUBG time.

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nobody put down what you do. You’re being weird about this. 

21 hours ago, sblfilms said:

For a lot of people, you just did. Downplaying his behavior with the “it is just a joke” line is a defense of indefensible behavior to these folks.

Oddly enough on the Depp issue, my cousin that I grew up with dated Amber Heard when he was at UT Austin and we hung out a few times. I definitely believe her claims against Depp,.

You're right I should rephrase that because I'm not a fan of the "it's just a joke" excuse, and it's far too often used, especially when someone says a racist joke for example. 

What I meant was that at the end of the day he's not hurting anyone compared to someone like Depp who beats his wife, or a sexual predator like Kevin Spacey, or someone like Mel Gibson that can go on a drunken rant against Jews because he actually holds those views. 

After working at a hotel for 3 years I can agree with the “Everyone  is a Moron” argument.

They say there are no stupid questions, but I hear them all the time.

Someone asked for an extra blanket then added, “there’s no extra charge for this right?”

The valet sits at a counter with a sign that says Valet with the fees on it and the valet is wearing a uniform and someone will walk up to the counter and ask “Do you know where the valet is?”

I could go on and on.

In terms of movies there is a woman who works there who proclaims she has a crush on Jason Statham I ask her if she likes his good movies (Crank, Transporter, Snatch) she says she hasn’t seen them but names lame movies like Homefront and some others like that (I’m pretty sure she named some romantic comedy he wasn’t even in) and she also thought the meg looked dumb and didn’t want to see it despite having her crush in it. :p 

Also, she’s never seen any Star Wars movie.

14 hours ago, Brick said:

You're right I should rephrase that because I'm not a fan of the "it's just a joke" excuse, and it's far too often used, especially when someone says a racist joke for example. 

What I meant was that at the end of the day he's not hurting anyone compared to someone like Depp who beats his wife, or a sexual predator like Kevin Spacey, or someone like Mel Gibson that can go on a drunken rant against Jews because he actually holds those views. 

Interesting that we can be so sure that Gibson actually holds those views.  What did he have - a couple of drunken outbursts during maybe the darkest part of his life when his relationship was falling apart and his career was crashing.  As opposed to several years of posting pedophilia stuff on the internet.  

I think everyone needs to be careful about what they think of celebrities.  We don't 'know' any of them and should not hold any up too high on a pedestal.  

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Apparently I'm a stubborn asshole :lol: So glad this was pointed out to me :lol:

I said you are a stubborn person, not a stubborn asshole. Earlier you lumped me into a group of people who "personally insulted" you, though I can't find the post where I did that either. Your condescension is, as always, childish and immature at best. Laughing emoticons at me when I've bothered to make multiple posts, some long, to try and address as best as I can in honest debate with you what I am trying to say to address where we disagree and you devolve to this. 

Stop putting words into my mouth. If you don't care about my efforts with you, then of course I will stop trying and save us both the trouble. But you didn't, and don't, have to be rude about it. 

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm this close to deleting this thread.

A great way to perpetuate the same problem with the same poster as it continues to go unaddressed as this isn't the first time. But we all have our quirks, and he is a good poster of course. At least lock it for preservation purposes rather than deleting it - surely as a historian you can appreciate archival data. :p 

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

A great way to perpetuate the same problem with the same poster as it continues to go unaddressed as this isn't the first time. But we all have our quirks, and he is a good poster of course. At least lock it for preservation purposes rather than deleting it - surely as a historian you can appreciate archival data. :p 

(a) I see no problem here with the poster in question and if I as the board owner doesn't see a problem, then there is no problem.

(b) I effectively wiped an entire database with 8 years' worth of data and didn't look back.  Do you honestly think I'm gonna give a damn about this thread?!?

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

(a) I see no problem here with the poster in question and if I as the board owner doesn't see a problem, then there is no problem.

(b) I effectively wiped an entire database with 8 years' worth of data and didn't look back.  Do you honestly think I'm gonna give a damn this thread?!?

(a) I didn't say there was a TOS problem with the poster, I said there's clearly a recurring problem with his attitude when push comes to shove. This is true. Not a TOS violation, but it's true.

(b) I figured you did that because you had no choice, not because you could and chose not to. If you do want to delete this, okay, I mean, I don't care. Ultimately this is just an internet message board. :p 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Come on, a board glitch did that, let’s not pretend you DVD’d the boards. :p 

That's correct - I effectively had no "choice" per se.  However, I could have theoretically engaged some kind of database recovery service to try to salvage the data at potentially extraordinary cost.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That's correct - I effectively had no "choice" per se.  However, I could have theoretically engaged some kind of database recovery service to try to salvage the data at potentially extraordinary cost.

At that point even I wouldn't have bothered. Still can mean you appreciate archival data. :p 

47 minutes ago, number305 said:

Interesting that we can be so sure that Gibson actually holds those views.

Gibson was raised in a "traditionalist" faction of the Catholic Church that emphasizes the teachings of the Church prior to the Second Vatican Council.  Part of those teachings holds Jews as being "responsible" for the death of Christ.  This is the same doctrine that the Catholic Church used to justify the persecution of Jews from the time of Constantine through the Inquisition right up until the 20th Century. 

For his part, this is what Gibson said in a supposedly non-drunken moment:

What is known is that Gibson is reported to have blamed Jews for forcing him to cut a scene, in which Jews and their descendants are held responsible for the murder of Christ, from his 2004 film, "The Passion of the Christ." Sounding a bit like he did that July night in Malibu, Gibson told The New Yorker: "If I included that in there, they'd be coming after me at my house. They'd come to kill me."

In the same New Yorker article, Gibson accuses "modern secular Judaism" of trying to "blame the Holocaust on the Catholic Church" and that "they've been working on that one for a while."

Based on the accumulated evidence, I'd say that it's more than reasonable to state that Mel Gibson is an anti-Semite when it comes to Jewish Semites (no idea about his feelings regarding Arab Semites).

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's probably good for a lot of users that some of their posts are truly gone . . . :p 

I’ll never forget the one from years back where you said Guiliani is an AMAZING lawyer with some of the best swagger you’ve ever seen. You can totally say it never happened now.

... :D 

• Haha 3

“There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark,” Mr. Gibson said in Tuesday’s statement.

He continued, in part: “I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D.U.I. charge. I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena.”

Mr. Gibson went on to say he wished “to take it one step further, and meet with Jewish leaders” for a “one-on-one discussion.”

That is also from Gibson.

I'm not trying to absolve anyone of guilt.  I wouldn't want Gibson around my kids.  My only point is that we don't really know what is in any of these peoples heart.  It is easy to make a face for the camera.  We should not assume we know what any of them are like, or what they do when the camera is not on.

30 minutes ago, number305 said:

“There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark,” Mr. Gibson said in Tuesday’s statement.

He continued, in part: “I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D.U.I. charge. I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena.”

Mr. Gibson went on to say he wished “to take it one step further, and meet with Jewish leaders” for a “one-on-one discussion.”

That is also from Gibson.

I'm not trying to absolve anyone of guilt.  I wouldn't want Gibson around my kids.  My only point is that we don't really know what is in any of these peoples heart.  It is easy to make a face for the camera.  We should not assume we know what any of them are like, or what they do when the camera is not on.

Oh I'm well aware of his apology.

I just don't believe a word of it, in the same way that I don't believe apologies from Harvey Weinstein, Bill Clinton, etc. etc.

In the case of Gibson, the preponderance of evidence -- from his own words said absolutely unbidden during an interview, words that reflect the doctrinal teachings of Catholic traditionalism -- suggests a historical pattern of anti-Jewish sentiment.  Based on that, I feel more than comfortable in determining what resides in his "heart".