James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

22 hours ago, Wild said:

What's difficult is where the line gets drawn. Should Chris Pratt be let go as Starlord for flashing Amy Poehler on the set of Parks & Rec if the trolls on twitter decide to raise a stink about it?

I don’t care one way or another. Chris Pratt is a grown ass man and ought to know that you shouldn’t show your dick to people unless asked, especially at work. In the hypothetical scenario in which Amy Poehler didn’t feel like she could raise a stink about it until now, did so now, and Pratt got sacked from GotG3 now, that’s probably a small price to pay for moving the needle on the public’s understanding of appropriate penile etiquette.

58 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Guys, don't worry. This is why we keep @Greatoneshere around.

"Nick Mullen"

*pokes a piece of paper written "SEARCH" taped to greatone's forehead*

See? I don't even bother with IMDb anymore.

Nick Mullen isn't on IMDb (I mean, he is, but not in the way you're thinking) . . . if you want to know who he is, please, google him. Just do it.

You'll love the joke, maybe. :p 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

They fired James Gunn to hire a guy who hosts a podcast called Cumtown? Okay. Way more offensive shit has been said on that show than James Gunn's tasteless tweets.

:duckhuntdog:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/selma-blair-quits-twitter-following-defense-of-james-gunn/ar-BBLbAif?ocid=AMZN

Selma Blair says she's quitting Twitter after she used the platform to defend Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, who was recently fired from the third film in the Marvel franchise for past, controversial tweets.

"So long. You can find me on Instagram . #Istandwithjamesgunn," Blair wrote to her followers on Saturday. 

The move followed Blair's repeated defenses of Gunn on the platform last Sunday, where she wrote to the director, "@JamesGunn I thank you for your talent, your decency and your evolution as a man. You propped me up when I was in a scary place, and guided me towards the decent and right thing to do," the actress wrote. "You have shown strength of character more than most anyone I know. You understood."

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That letter sends a pretty strong message. I hope he gets his job back, but I'm not really sure what I expect Disney will do.

They won't rehire him. Not unless the cast is privately holding Disney's feet to the fire as a collective group. They shit the bed with their hasty decision, but any reversal will just make the situation worse. They would have to admit they made mistake. I doubt their lawyers will let them.

1 hour ago, Wild said:

DjXhMELUwAAokn7.jpg

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

That letter sends a pretty strong message. I hope he gets his job back, but I'm not really sure what I expect Disney will do.

That letter is the absolute epitome of the symbolically meaningless horseshit that passes for "taking a stand" in 2018.  Let me know when they actually do something that involves actual professional/financial risk to express the courage of their "convictions".

The letter isn’t even really critical of Disney’s move. Literally the only message Disney will listen to is the refusal by the cast to participate in future MCU productions.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The letter isn’t even really critical of Disney’s move. Literally the only message Disney will listen to is the refusal by the cast to participate in future MCU productions.

Which is why I gotta laugh heartily at any notions that it exhibits any sort of "moral courage" by the signatories. 

Ok, admittedly Hollywood "courage" is an exceedingly low bar to clear, but it's still noteworthy that the stars of the film are taking some kind of side on the issue. Of course, if they wanted to they could absolutely force Disney's hand here. I'm sure they all have crazy Marvel contracts, but nearly all of them also have other franchises they star in.

Still, it's pretty rare that we see even this minimal kind of public support by such high profile actors.

32 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-cast-james-gunn-support-1202889736/

Disney is apparently considering reinstating him. The question is, should he even accept? On the one hand they treated him like crap. On the other, he would want a chance to complete his movie series (and also make all the money).

Yes 

52 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-cast-james-gunn-support-1202889736/

Disney is apparently considering reinstating him. The question is, should he even accept? On the one hand they treated him like crap. On the other, he would want a chance to complete his movie series (and also make all the money).

If he gets the chance, he should absolutely go back. Partially because I'm sure it pays well, partially because I know he's invested in this franchise, partially because doing otherwise would be a slap to the face of all his friends that got him a second chance, and partially because Dinsey is now owns ~40% of the feature film business worldwide, and it would suck not being able to get any future Disney gigs.