James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He isn’t legally obligated to work on the film.

:badass:

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Maybe he means contractually obligated. 

That's how I took it -- working on a net number of GOTG movies (the contractual obligation) and previously being under the impression that James Gunn would be back. 

He can opt out, but he would likely be subject to some monetary penalty for leaving early.  It’s fine to dislike what Disney did and still want to go earn your nice paycheck. Don’t blame your contract on not doing what you are saying you’d like to do. 

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He can opt out, but he would likely be subject to some monetary penalty for leaving early.  It’s fine to dislike what Disney did and still want to go earn your nice paycheck. Don’t blame your contract on not doing what you are saying you’d like to do. 

For some people a contract is a contract and they honor it.

Just now, Wild said:

Was about to come to say the same thing. To be fair if he felt really strongly it should be worth breaking the terms of your contract with someone or something you highly morally disapprove of so there is that . . . 

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Was about to come to say the same thing. To be fair if he felt really strongly it should be worth breaking the terms of your contract with someone or something you highly morally disapprove of so there is that . . . 

True, but he presumable wants to keep working in Hollywood. And since Disney owns half of Hollywood...

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is a moral issue for him, presumably. 

Apparently it's one that's not "moral enough" to opt out of the contract and incur the financial penalties.

Until he's willing to do something that actually requires "pain" or "sacrifice" beyond making meaningless Twitter pontifications, he should just keep his trap shut.

14 minutes ago, Wild said:

Opting out under the terms of the contract is honoring the contract. I don’t blame him for not waiting to give up the cash or hamper his future working relationship with Disney, just don’t act as though you’re not going that route because you legally can’t.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Apparently it's one that's not "moral enough" to opt out of the contract and incur the financial penalties.

But apparently a big enough one to make a big stink about the whole thing for awhile but actually do nothing substantive about it. And I like Dave Bautista but this is like a child flailing their arms with futility at their parents. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

But apparently a big enough one to make a big stink about the whole thing for awhile but actually do nothing substantive about it. And I like Dave Bautista but this is like a child flailing their arms with futility at their parents. 

It's the epitome of "social media slacktivism":  "Look at me! I'm doing the absolute bare minimum for a cause that I supposedly believe in, but I'm not actually gonna take any real personal/professional risk because that's too hard!"

Screw that noise and screw him.  Hell, if I'm a Disney executive right now, I'm having my attorneys comb through his contract thoroughly to see if any grounds could be discovered to fire his ass.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's the epitome of "social media slacktivism":  "Look at me! I'm doing the absolute bare minimum for a cause that I supposedly believe in, but I'm not actually gonna take any real personal/professional risk because that's too hard!"

Screw that noise and screw him.  Hell, if I'm a Disney executive right now, I'm having my attorneys comb through his contract thoroughly to see if any grounds could be discovered to fire his ass.

I actually agree. He should just walk away if it matters so much to him, and if James Gunn is the close friend he claims (as well as co-worker/boss), then he should leave. Unless he really did have a problem with his original stuff and didn't know but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

If I were in his position I can categorically say I would leave. I'm tired of people with actual power (unlike us) never doing anything when they can when they say they "care". 

The guy is speaking out from a megaphone. Why is "quit" always considered the only acceptable option in these situations? He doesn't have to break his contract to voice his displeasure and put pressure on Disney executives to correct their mistake. That's honestly a poor assertion to me. We're not talking about a crime, but a business disagreement. We've all done things our bosses asked us to we didn't fully agree with.

1 minute ago, Wild said:

The guy is speaking out from a megaphone. Why is "quit" always considered the only acceptable option in these situations? He doesn't have to break his contract to voice his displeasure and put pressure on Disney executives to correct their mistake. That's honestly a poor assertion to me. We're not talking about a crime, but a business disagreement. We've all done things our bosses asked us to we didn't fully agree with.

Literally the only pressure that these actors can put on Disney is a legitimate threat to walk. Dave has now clearly signaled that walking is off the table.

I don’t think he should quit, I think he should go get paid, I also think he should stop hiding behind “I’m legally obligated” as the reason not to walk.

6 minutes ago, Wild said:

For Bautista, it really does "appear" to have transcended from being solely a business disagreement into something that that has an actual moral component.  Once it crosses that boundary, the options to display dissatisfaction or opposition become far more limited and those that remain are necessarily more drastic.

3 minutes ago, Wild said:

I think it has more to do with the idle threat to leave rather than just hin expressing his disapproval of the situation. 

Again, we can disagree with our bosses decisions and continue to do our work. Batista is fine speaking his mind on social media. As I stated before, some people take their contracts as legal obligations they will not break, and we don't know the terms of his contract or what penalties it will incur. It's a bit presumptuous on our part to say what he must do when we don't know all the details. He's voicing his displeasure. He should be allowed to do that without being told he has to sacrifice his livelihood in order to appease the social media masses.

I'm not going to be that harsh on Bautista. Sure it'd be entertaining to see him or others from the cast walk off over this, but I'm not in his situation. I can't claim to know what it feels like to work for a giant like Disney. Walking off might not just mean getting fired, it might mean a lawsuit, and one you can't win. That's a bit of an extreme loss for some outrage. So I'm totally fine with just voicing it.

6 minutes ago, Wild said:

He should be allowed to do that without being told he has to sacrifice his livelihood in order to appease the social media masses.

That’s not what people are calling him out for. Every contract at this level of business has severance terms, he is unwilling to pay them....and that’s fine, just don’t act like you HAVE to do it. He wants to get paid, he’s earned it, and he could still tell Disney he thinks did the wrong thing with Gunn.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, screw the guy that doesn't want to alienate the mega corporation that controls 40% of the box office and controls the franchise that represents the vast majority of his acting income.

It's amazing how easy it is to say you should quit your job when it isn't your job on the line.

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, screw the guy that doesn't want to alienate the mega corporation that controls 40% of the box office and controls the franchise that represents the vast majority of his acting income.

Once again, Bautista has seemingly taken this into the realm of a "moral issue".  He used the word "nauseating" to describe working for Disney after this incident.  That's a pretty harsh indictment of Disney management and one that I simply don't see how he can reconcile with continuing to work for them.

He honestly seems to think that he can have his moral cake and eat it too which is where my entire disdain for his actions is coming from.

16 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It's amazing how easy it is to say you should quit your job when it isn't your job on the line.

There have been plenty of jobs I have worked at where I disagreed with the decisions they have made or even fired fellow co workers wrongfully but i needed money or at least needed to look for another job before I could quit. I'm sure he is showing his displeasure of what Disney did in hopes of them reversing their decision. Or maybe hoping he has a back up plan if he ever decides to not work for half of Hollywood. Being black listed by Disney is no joke. He better hope he can go back to wrestling or have some sort of movie franchise with universal if he decides to walk out of GOTG. 

7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

He eonestly seems to think that he can have his moral cake and eat it too which is where my entire disdain for his actions is coming from.

I agree but also this would be a stupid hill for his career to die on. He can voice his feelings about the situation all he wants but ultimately he needs to do what's best for him. He doesn't have the star power to be able to threaten to quit and make a difference. Maybe if he convinces other cast member to do so he will have more leverage to his cause.

I am cool if he takes his contractual obligations seriously. It keeps him from getting labeled as a guy who will breach contract and put a film/franchise in jeopardy (and thus profits). 

And had his comment about being contractually/legally obligated been a response to somebody saying "then why don't you quit?", then sure.... But he seemed to offer up the scenario of him quitting. It's kind if like "why even bring it up?" 

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

If it matters so much to him, YES. Precisely.

Again, tired of people with power doing little. I'm happy he's voicing his displeasure over doing nothing, but please. We have one life to live, stick to your morals and principles all the way through, at least. That's all. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

If it matters so much to him, YES. Precisely.

Again, tired of people with power doing little. I'm happy he's voicing his displeasure over doing nothing, but please. We have one life to live, stick to your morals and principles all the way through, at least. That's all. 

I wouldn't say Bautista has much power in Hollywood. If he were gone from GOTG I gaurantee you the film will still get made. Now if it was Chris Pratt or Bradley Cooper then we have something. 

16 minutes ago, The def star said:

I wouldn't say Bautista has much power in Hollywood. If he were gone from GOTG I gaurantee you the film will still get made. Now if it was Chris Pratt or Bradley Cooper then we have something. 

Shouldn't matter. This is about his principles for himself based on what he's sharing with us. Based on all the info I have, I'd quit if I were him

It doesn't matter whether it makes a difference. It's about living with yourself. He seems to care more than what he could actually do and that discrepancy bothers me, especially in this day and age. 

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That’s not what people are calling him out for. Every contract at this level of business has severance terms, he is unwilling to pay them....and that’s fine, just don’t act like you HAVE to do it. He wants to get paid, he’s earned it, and he could still tell Disney he thinks did the wrong thing with Gunn.

It can cost other people their money and jobs as well. Agents, make-up artists, stunt doubles, personal assistants, and others on down the line. He made commitments and obligations. He probably feels like he has to follow his word, as that holds value to him.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Shouldn't matter. This is about his principles for himself based on what he's sharing with us. Based on all the info I have, I'd quit if I were him

It doesn't matter whether it makes a difference. It's about living with yourself. He seems to care more than what he could actually do and that discrepancy bothers me, especially in this day and age. 

You would quit if you were him. But he is him and evidently doesn't think it's worth quiting. A platform like Twitter is for people to post their thoughts. It shouldn't be treated like if it's a plan for their opinions. Plenty of people post things on their they don't mean. Just look at our president :p

12 minutes ago, The def star said:

You would quit if you were him. But he is him and evidently doesn't think it's worth quiting. 

He claims he can’t, because legal reasons. I agree that he just doesn’t think it’s worth it.