James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Wow. I actually tried having a respectable conversation about my point of view on the subject and while I don't entirely agree with your opinion never once did I degrade your intelligence. I see what kind of person you are so I don't expect to reply any more. But I'll just post this as an example of my argument and not this

I wasn't actually referring to you with that reply. I was just speaking in general. 

If you want to make the shoe fit, that's your prerogative, but it wasn't all about you. 

12 minutes ago, Jose said:

I get all that 100%. What I think def star is trying to say is that a lot of comedians make pushing your limits of comfort as part of their routine. But it's a REALLY fine line, because if the jokes bomb, you come off as an unfunny, sick fuck. 

Pretty much what I was trying to say but I guess it's a much harder message to intercept.

Just now, The def star said:

Pretty much what I was trying to say but I guess it's a much harder message to intercept.

You didn't really make a good argument for it. Your response was basically "well, most comedians do this, so I guess you don't like comedy."

Are you still going to play the victim, even though I made it clear I didn't call you "dumb?" 

26 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Damn, I guess I hurt his feelings, even though I wasn't even thinking of him when I made the post. Even explaining it to him didn't help. :( 

I guess I'll have to find some way to move on, now that def won't talk to me anymore. I didn't know I had the power to upset someone without even talking about them.

You didn't hurt my feelings but i dont want to go down this rabbit hole where you are tipping toeing with the condescending comments. You're strong minded person which causes you to be defensive. It doesn't mean I won't reply to you on other topics. Just means that I don't want to continue on this topic with you because I can't seem to get my point across clearly enough with out this going to a "def's shitty argument" or  "if the shoe fits" back and forth posting. It's probably my fault if anything because I am not very good at times in making my case. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Also, I think(hope) you meant to use "interpret" instead of "intercept."

Because the latter doesn't fit. At all. 

This is because I'm on mobile :p

24 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think you made it really clear his argument was shitty (it was). Time to move on.

I will when I'm done with him. Thanks for the input, though.

24 minutes ago, The def star said:

You didn't hurt my feelings but i dont want to go down this rabbit hole where you are tipping toeing with the condescending comments. You're strong minded person which causes you to be defensive. It doesn't mean I won't reply to you on other topics. Just means that I don't want to continue on this topic with you because I can't seem to get my point across clearly enough with out this going to a "def's shitty argument" or  "if the shoe fits" back and forth posting. It's probably my fault if anything because I am not very good at times in making my case. 

Just a few things: I wasn't tip toeing. I specifically said your argument was shitty, because it was a bad argument. I was far from the only one with that opinion. That was explicit, not tip toeing around. I never meant to call you "dumb," which was why I clarified that.  I just said it was entirely up to you if you wanted to wear the shoe, since you came after me so hard on it. You can't call me defensive when you come after me with stuff like "I see what kind of person you are" when you jumped the gun and thought I insulted your intelligence when I didn't!   :p

Also, I just think most people are dumb. Working in my field, I have a low opinion of humanity. :p

Okay, now I'm done. No hard feelings, just had to get that off my chest. I'm good now, if you are. :hug: 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

James Gunn's jokes were shitty, weird, and gross and he deserved the flack he got for them because it seemed like he was trying to get attention using a taboo topic more than actually trying to make a joke.

So I get all that 100%. What I think def star is trying to say is that a lot of comedians make pushing your limits of comfort as part of their routine. But it's a REALLY fine line, because if the jokes bomb, you come off as an unfunny, sick fuck. 

Yeah and James Gunn ISN'T A COMEDIAN. These "jokes" weren't part of a routine... they were part of a grown man's Twitter feed. A grown man who, like you said, was trying to be provocative in the most simplistic and unimaginative way possible. I like raunchy humor too but this wasn't raunchy and it wasn't humorous which is the biggest sin you could make as a joke teller.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah and James Gunn ISN'T A COMEDIAN. These "jokes" weren't part of a routine... they were part of a grown man's Twitter feed. A grown man who, like you said, was trying to be provocative in the most simplistic and unimaginative way possible. I like raunchy humor too but this wasn't raunchy and it wasn't humorous which is the biggest sin you could make as a joke teller.

Agreed! I think comedians are being discussed because the far right is going after Patton Oswalt et al now.

Just now, Brick said:

Real talk: does anyone here not think Gunn should be rehired? If so why? 

Shit I think what he said was weird and unfunny but I have no problem with him being rehired. I also have no problem with Disney NOT rehiring him. Folks are trying to make this some kind of culture war issue when it really isn't and it's hard to really paint Gunn as some kind of victim.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You don't have to be a comedian to tell a joke. I'm not saying what he wrote on Twitter was funny but I could tell he was making a joke. Being a grown man has nothing to do with humor (no matter how bad it is). I don't get that argument. 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't care if he gets rehired. But him being fired over some bad jokes he wrote on Twitter 10 years ago I think is more of the issue with me. He never took them off Twitter. They were always there and now they pop up. People change in 10 years. When he wrote that he definitely wasn't the same person who did GotG in 2014. 

1 minute ago, The def star said:

You don't have to be a comedian to tell a joke. I'm not saying what he wrote on Twitter was funny but I could tell he was making a joke. Being a grown man has nothing to do with humor (no matter how bad it is). I don't get that argument. 

Being a grown man who knows the difference between being funny, clever and maybe a little provocative and being a child who thinks that just saying offensive shit is funny for its own sake has EVERYTHING to do with it. No offense but I'm starting to think that maybe YOU don't get what comedians actually do if you think that all they do is say offensive shit and try to get people to laugh. I don't get why you're choosing to die on this particular hill. If you don't get why Gunn's jokes crossed a line then maybe you don't think Roseanne crossed a line either? and She's an ACTUAL COMEDIAN. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Being a grown man who knows the difference between being funny, clever and maybe a little provocative and being a child who thinks that just saying offensive shit is funny for its own sake has EVERYTHING to do with it. No offense but I'm starting to think that maybe YOU don't get what comedians actually do if you think that all they do is say offensive shit and try to get people to laugh. I don't get why you're choosing to die on this particular hill. If you don't get why Gunn's jokes crossed a line then maybe you don't think Roseanne crossed a line either? and She's an ACTUAL COMEDIAN. 

If I thought it was still appropriate to say some of the shit I did at 15 when I'm now 31, I'd be in trouble. We grow up. That's what we're supposed to do. :p 

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Comedians come in all forms. You don't have to be a comedian to tell a joke. That's what I'm saying. His humor might not be the same as yours. Yours probably isn't the same as mine. Some push enevlopes some keep it clean. What Roseanne said was a bad joke yes but it was also very racist because of previous things she has said over Twitter. She also tried to hide it and say she was on drugs at the time of writing it. There is a difference. Is Donald Glover and Bobby Moynihan gonna get fired from their next project because of this sketch about rape?

Are the people involved in ATHF gonna get banned from their next job because of their take on rape in comedy?

These were of a place and time. They probably aren't as funny in 2018 as when they first were made but should the people who wrote and made them get scorned today?

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

Comedians come in all forms. That's what I'm saying. His humor might not be the same as yours. Yours probably isn't the same as mine. Some push enevlopes some keep it clean. What Roseanne said was a bad joke yes but it was also very racist because of previous things she has said over Twitter. She also tried to hide it and say she was on drugs at the time of writing it. There is a difference. Is Donald Glover and Bobby Moynihan gonna get fired from his next project because of this sketch about rape?

Are the people involved in ATHF gonna get banned from their next job because of their take on rape in comedy?

These were of a place and time. They probably aren't as funny in 2018 as when they first were made but should the people who wrote and made them get scorned today?

Again, you're conflating jokes written in the context of performances or sketches with some dude's Twitter feed which wasn't a performance or a sketch. Just the weird ramblings of a middle aged man. Also his "jokes" about little boys weren't one-offs. They, like Roseanne's Ape thing" were part of a larger batch of "jokes" that he had posted. I actually like ATHF and think that Hand Bananna episode is funny as hell... but that is a WORLD of difference from a show that is silly as hell and offensive soem guy posting random shit about little boys touching him. If you think that's funny, hats off to you. Most people didn't think it was funny and since Gunn isn't and has never been an actual comedian, and these "jokes" weren't part of a routine or piece that he wrote, he couldn't and has not made the argument that you are trying to make... that everything is sacred when it's done for comedic purposes (which is bullshit)

Sure comedians come in all forms... but they all have one thing in common. They're funny. But since Gunn isn't a comedian and hasn't tried to hide behind the comedy shield, I'm not sure why YOU are. He isn't defending his "jokes", he completely moved past them. 

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure comedians come in all forms... but they all have one thing in common. They're funny. But since Gunn isn't a comedian and hasn't tried to hide behind the comedy shield, I'm not sure why YOU are. He isn't defending his "jokes", he completely moved past them. 

He was certainly an edgy, comedic writer (look at the incest scenes in Tromeo & Juliet), and did call his tweets poor attempts at jokes. He also grew out of them, as you say, which is a normal part of the growth process. Not everyone matures at the same speed in all aspects of their lives.

Hell, almost everyone on this board has written hundreds of words professing their love or hate for the recent Star Wars movie, and we geek out over animated cartoons aimed at children. We're not exactly the bastion of "fully grown wo/men" who should be casting stones about what's an appropriate usage of social media.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Again, you're conflating jokes written in the context of performances or sketches with some dude's Twitter feed which wasn't a performance or a sketch. Just the weird ramblings of a middle aged man. Also his "jokes" about little boys weren't one-offs. They, like Roseanne's Ape thing" were part of a larger batch of "jokes" that he had posted. I actually like ATHF and think that Hand Bananna episode is funny as hell... but that is a WORLD of difference from a show that is silly as hell and offensive soem guy posting random shit about little boys touching him. If you think that's funny, hats off to you. Most people didn't think it was funny and since Gunn isn't and has never been an actual comedian, and these "jokes" weren't part of a routine or piece that he wrote, he couldn't and has not made the argument that you are trying to make... that everything is sacred when it's done for comedic purposes (which is bullshit)

Do you really think he went on twitter to tell the world eating babies and rape is ok if you are really really hungry? I could tell that he was trying to be funny. A comedian doesn't mean you're always funny and being funny doesn't always mean you are a comedian. We have all made jokes here but aren't working on routines to justify our written humor. What he wrote seemed like his attempt at dark comedy but obviously wasn't very good. I didn't 100% believe anything he said was serious. Does he deserve to be shamed and made fun of for what he said? Sure why not. But have it affect you 10 years later? That's crazy to me. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit I think what he said was weird and unfunny but I have no problem with him being rehired. I also have no problem with Disney NOT rehiring him. Folks are trying to make this some kind of culture war issue when it really isn't and it's hard to really paint Gunn as some kind of victim.

Isn't it kind of already given who dug the Tweets up and why? 

On August 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Brick said:

That's all Disney needs is for Gunn to be asked by some reporter on any future red carpet about his child rape jokes. There's no way in hell they'll rehire him to direct. 

2 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

That's all Disney needs is for Gunn to be asked by some reporter on any future red carpet about his child rape jokes. There's no way in hell they'll rehire him to direct. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/james-gunn-demand-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161

https://movieweb.com/amp/marvel-james-gunn-future-movies/

Looks like other movie studios want to scoop Gunns up and now it seems Disney is looking like

tumblr_nrt120wzfZ1uxh8ndo1_500.gif

He will be fine with or without out Disney.

9 hours ago, The def star said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/james-gunn-demand-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161

https://movieweb.com/amp/marvel-james-gunn-future-movies/

Looks like other movie studios want to scoop Gunns up and now it seems Disney is looking like

tumblr_nrt120wzfZ1uxh8ndo1_500.gif

He will be fine with or without out Disney.

That's nice for Gunn but why do you think Disney will think they made a mistake? Disney will be fine with or without Gunn. 

More reporting on folks trying to bring Gunn back into the fold

Seems like The Marvel folks want Gunn back...

EXCLUSIVE: Might there be a glimmer of hope for change of heart in the quick banishment of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn from the Magic Kingdom? Nobody is talking about it, but sources said that back channel conversations are taking place between Marvel Studios and Disney. Sources said the Marvel contingent is trying to persuade Disney to explore a compromise that might bring Gunn back into the fold for Guardians 3, something that clearly would be best for the franchise. There is no clash or strong arming here. I’m told it’s a discussion that comes in the wake of the whole cast declaring their loyalty to Gunn, whose abrupt exit has put a thriving film franchise in a rocky place. One would have to label this 11th hour approach to be a long shot, but the community is talking about it.

It would not be surprising that Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige would make one last try at rapprochement. Disney’s quick guillotine contrasted dramatically to CBS’s handling of the Les Moonves controversy. Though his problems are self-inflicted, Gunn was banished for an incredibly poor choice of words; Moonves continues to run CBS, pending an investigation into allegations of serious sexual harassment bordering on sexual assault. Anyone at Disney would be hard pressed to say the quick hook has benefited the Guardiansfranchise. The entire cast unanimously wants Gunn back, even as they acknowledge he was an idiot, at a time he was graduating from the Troma schlock horror factory and attempting to be some kind of satirical provocateur. Gunn remains eminently hire-able and a studio chief told me recently he’s eager to give him a picture once Gunn is free of Disney.