James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

19 minutes ago, The def star said:

You would quit if you were him. But he is him and evidently doesn't think it's worth quiting. A platform like Twitter is for people to post their thoughts. It shouldn't be treated like if it's a plan for their opinions. Plenty of people post things on their they don't mean. Just look at our president :p

Except . . . 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He claims he can’t, because legal reasons. I agree that he just doesn’t think it’s worth it.

This.

It's just strange for me to see someone who seemingly cares so much about this not do everything they can about it (when they could, in theory, actually do more to effect change), that's all. I don't think that's a strange position to take. I'm sure he has his reasons, but he should be forthcoming about them if he's going to ring this alarm bell so much. 

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Pressure. Maybe get others to voice their opinions as well. At least that what I assume. The more I hear people backing up Gunn the more headlines pop up on my Facebook feed.

I meant why brung up the option of quitting the movie if he is not going to? 

If a whole cast says "we'd quit if weren't under contract", Disney would be like "good, you're not quitting". ...and that would be it. Starting some kind of movement through social media pressure to get Gunn reinstated is fine. Idle threats are pointless. 

Imagine the Xbox One reveal and launch if people just threatened "I wouldn't buy it, but all my friends and library is on 360 and I do not want to change. So I will still buy the One. I am just find the Kinect disgusting." If the Xbox One was on track to sell as well as MS hopped, the idle threats would be pointless. 

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Except . . . 

This.

It's just strange for me to see someone who seemingly cares so much about this not do everything they can about it (when they could, in theory, actually do more to effect change), that's all. I don't think that's a strange position to take. I'm sure he has his reasons, but he should be forthcoming about them if he's going to ring this alarm bell so much. 

It's good for him, his family, and his associates that he doesn't have to appease you. You're making ridiculous demands on him, as if this is a civil rights issue. He's outraged, but he's saying he won't abandon his obligations. I think it would be more cowardly to keep silent, as some here believe he should, considering it's still a risk to his job to speak out publicly.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

It's good for him, his family, and his associates that he doesn't have to appease you. You're making ridiculous demands on him, as if this is a civil rights issue. He's outraged, but he's saying he won't abandon his obligations. I think it would be more cowardly to keep silent, as some here believe he should, considering it's still a risk to his job to speak out publicly.

I never suggested he stay silent, and I'm certainly not saying he has to do anything.

But it does come off as disingenuous to be as upset as he seems, have power to do even more, not give his reasons why he won't do more, claim it's because of legal obligations rather than contractual ones (which are not the same) but then continue on a soapbox but not do everything one could.

That's my assessment. And as much as he can do what he wants, I can judge him for what he does. He may not have to do anything (and not have to do more) but it is disappointing. 

I haven't really been following this story too closely. But when what I've gleaned, it seems a bit dumb for Disney to fire him over decade-old Tweets that weren't exactly hidden. People seemed to know of the guy's twisted humor for years. Maybe Disney should have vetted him when they hired him?

But on the other hand, I can't really muster sympathy for the guy who made "jokes" like that as a grown-ass man in his 40s. It's not like he was young and stupid.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

I never suggested he stay silent, and I'm certainly not saying he has to do anything.

But it does come off as disingenuous to be as upset as he seems, have power to do even more, not give his reasons why he won't do more, claim it's because of legal obligations rather than contractual ones (which are not the same) but then continue on a soapbox but not do everything one could.

That's my assessment. And as much as he can do what he wants, I can judge him for what he does. He may not have to do anything (and not have to do more) but it is disappointing. 

You and sblfilms should really let go of the "legal/contractual" mix-up. He's not a lawyer and he clearly misspoke.

SFLUFAN definitely said he should stay silent, or destroy himself for the sake of his raunchy colleague. And that's honestly dumb. He has the power to do more? What? Lose his career so that Gunn might be able to continue his? This isn't preventing WW3, I don't know why you think he should die on his sword over this.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Reputator said:

SFLUFAN definitely said he should stay silent, or destroy himself for the sake of his raunchy colleague. And that's honestly dumb. He has the power to do more? What? Lose his career so that Gunn might be able to continue his? This isn't preventing WW3, I don't know why you think he should die on his sword over this.

Bautista has elevated this into the realm of the greater culture wars by stating that it is "nauseating” to work for a studio "who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists".  This is no longer merely about defending a "raunchy" colleague -- this is now firmly within the greater social conflict being fought in this country.  

13 minutes ago, Reputator said:

You and sblfilms should really let go of the "legal/contractual" mix-up. He's not a lawyer and he clearly misspoke.

I’m saying he doesn’t HAVE to do things even based on his contract because there is absolutely opt-out language for both parties involved, likely with specific terms and an arbitration clause. He is framing the not quitting despite his moral outrage at Disney as being caused by a legal obligation. You can smack Disney on twitter while also saying providing for you and your family is your first priority. Instead he suggests his hands are tied such that he isn’t simply doing what is in his best interest. Just own it, Dave.

28 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Except . . . 

20 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Bautista has elevated this into the realm of the greater culture wars by stating that it is "nauseating” to work for a studio "who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists".  This is no longer merely about defending a "raunchy" colleague -- this is now firmly within the greater social conflict being fought in this country.  

This.

Bautista himself is changing the conversation, but then his actions aren't rising to the words he's using to weaponize his argument. That's disingenuous to me. 

And as sblfilms explained above, my issue isn't the mix-up, it's that he's factually incorrect - he can always leave his contract. He would not be able to leave it if he was "legally" unable to, but that's not possible in contract law. So it matters. Even if he misspoke, he should come out and correct himself then because that's a big difference between being forced to work on the film vs. simply choosing not to op-out if you are going to say all the things he's been saying. 

28 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

To be fair I don't think Bautista really understands the power of the words he typed out. Not saying he is stupid or anything just saying that I have seen his WWE promos through out his career and there is a reason he didn't get to use the mic much :p We shouldn't hold what he wrote on Twitter at face value :lol:

5 minutes ago, The def star said:

To be fair I don't think Bautista really understands the power of the words he typed out. Not saying he is stupid or anything just saying that I have seen his WWE promos through out his career and there is a reason he didn't get to use the mic much :p We shouldn't hold what he wrote on Twitter at face value :lol:

There's someone else about whom that argument was routinely made and look how that worked out for us.

I'm not going to deny David's intelligence and thoughtfulness -- because it's clear to me that he IS intelligent and thoughtful -- to deny that this is something that he clearly understands.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

There's someone else about whom that argument was routinely made and look how that worked out for us.

I'm not going to deny David's intelligence and thoughtfulness -- because it's clear to me that he IS intelligent and thoughtful -- to deny that this is something that he clearly understands.

• Well if the other person you are referring is the one we all are thinking of, he is also bad with words and doesnt know the power of them :p The situation with Bautista is that his hearts in the right place but doesn't know how to go about it. My thing is that at least he's trying. How hard? Probably not hard enough but right now he is bringing more eyes to the James Gunn controversy :shrug:

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I fully expect some users in this thread to put their money where THEIR mouths are and not support any Disney/Marvel/Pixar films or projects moving forward... you know, for morals and stuff.

There's this one super nerd I went to HS with who says he's boycotting all future MCU films until Gunn is rehired. He won't quit talking about it on FB. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

His crusade has kinda worn thin on me. I think I'm gonna have to unfollow him for a bit, tbh. 

I just can't muster enough sympathy for either side in this debacle. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It's easy for him to say that until the next MCU films release. Measure him when Ms Marvel and Avengers 4 releases. 

Oh I fully expect him to be there for both films on opening night :lol:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Which they probably will... AMC has kinda given them the greenlight to do so with rehiring Chris Hardwick.

I didn't follow that story too closely, either, but wasn't that guy pretty much exonerated? 

Gunn seems different because his tweets are there for the world to see as evidence. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I didn't follow that story too closely, either, but wasn't that guy pretty much exonerated? 

Gunn seems different because his tweets are there for the world to see as evidence. 

They are but in the end his thing is he wrote some bad jokes back in the day. They obviously weren't his serious take on things but yet they were used to take him down. IMO jokes should not be held to the same standard as everything else. If we got in trouble for bad jokes or humor a lot of us would be in trouble with our bosses :p The James Gunn thing is bigger than just Disney but it's a topic about what is comedy if not for trying to push the limits even if they are distasteful. 

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Once again, Bautista has seemingly taken this into the realm of a "moral issue".  He used the word "nauseating" to describe working for Disney after this incident.  That's a pretty harsh indictment of Disney management and one that I simply don't see how he can reconcile with continuing to work for them.

He honestly seems to think that he can have his moral cake and eat it too which is where my entire disdain for his actions is coming from.

Wade you need to relax. He’s not coming in to work M-F and seeing and talking to his boss everyday. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't buy the whole idea of comedians using their comedy as an excuse for shitty behavior. 

Some stuff just isn't ever funny. And as a grown man in his 40s, he should habe had better sense than to put that on social media, where it's permanent. 

So sorry, I just don't have sympathy for the man. 

That's fine but other people do. Especially those that are in comedy. Because at what point what can you say or can't you say to make people laugh. Not everyone is gonna get the punchline. Not everyone will like the punchline but a joke is not supposed to be taking seriously. He didn't behave any different than any comidan in his day or now. To be honest I don't think humor or sarcasm is translated well in text. A lot of times a joke is in the performance. That was his mistake. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Eh, sorry, pedophilia is never funny. Rape is never funny. People who aren't sociopaths should understand that much. 

He should have known better. Sucks to be him, but if you haven't grown up by your 40s, you probably never will. 

Then you probably wouldn't enjoy a lot of comedians out there.