James Gunn sacked from GotG 3, Disney severs ties due to previous "offensive material"

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Plus, according to a lot of you guys, a significant amount of the audience who saw Infinity War believe Drax is dead for good and won't be coming back.

You're really dedicated to refusing to understand what the point was holy shit.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're really dedicated to refusing to understand what the point was holy shit.

What exactly am I refusing to understand when folks were literally saying stuff like this:

Impossible as it may seem here, some people finished Infinity War thinking that was the "last one" or at the very least that everyone that died is gone forever.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Again, don't most normal folks think all of the Guardians are dead anyway? Disney can just end the series and not skip a beat because as I have been told by several members on this board, a lot of folks thought Infinity War was the end of the MCU or something.

Most people do not go into an MCU movie knowing the release schedule for the next two-three years off the top of their heads. That doesn't mean they think the MCU is ending. :facepalm:

@Kal-El814

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Most people do not go into an MCU movie knowing the release schedule for the next two-three years off the top of their heads. That doesn't mean they think the MCU is ending. :facepalm:

@Kal-El814

Don't tell that to me... tell it to the guys who were LITERALLY saying that in the other thread. I never claimed that average folks knew what Marvel movies were coming out and when... just that they had the common sense to know there would likely be a sequel to a film that had an OBVIOUS cliffhanger.

24 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah there were def a few dudes who were saying a large number of of people out there thought/think that Infinity War doesn’t have a sequel. Therefore implying that a large number of people think the outcome of Infinity War is permenant. 

That isn’t what was being argued. The point being made was that many people don’t know that Infinity War is really a two-parter, not that there won’t be more movies. And more over, that a significant number of people just don’t think about this stuff until the marketing for the next film begins.

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't tell that to me... tell it to the guys who were LITERALLY saying that in the other thread. I never claimed that average folks knew what Marvel movies were coming out and when... just that they had the common sense to know there would likely be a sequel to a film that had an OBVIOUS cliffhanger.

Guardians 2 didn’t end in a cliffhanger.

Let’s assume they and Iron Man and Cap are all alive at the end of Infinity War 2. To most fans, the probability of Iron Man 4 happening, Cap 4 happening, and Guardians 3 happening are all equal. 

I don’t know why you’re so hung up on the notion that casual fans of something are casual. There are people who don’t know different teams make the different Call of Duty games each year despite getting them on launch day. There are people who will stream their favorite artist’s songs on Spotify all the time and couldn’t tell you what album their songs come from. There are people who would never really wonder why Guardians 3 never came out just like they have never really wondered why there was no Hulk 2.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t what was being argued. The point being made was that many people don’t know that Infinity War is really a two-parter, not that there won’t be more movies. And more over, that a significant number of people just don’t think about this stuff until the marketing for the next film begins.

But if you don’t know that Infinity War is a two parter, even after it’s over. And you don’t think about what’s coming until the marketing for the next movie starts. Even if you assume there’s more Marvel movies coming. Then wouldn’t logic dictate that those people would think the events of Infinity War are permanent and that whatever new movies are coming won’t feature anyone who “died” in Infinity War?

I think people forget that a lot of people just don't give a shit about movies. I know people who barely bother with films generally speaking.

We care, of course, because we're fans of the product. Some of the biggest fans anywhere, in all likelihood. We are not representative of the general public. I know I often forget with how much I know about things like politics and movies that most adults just don't care and have more immediate or social concerns to think about than this stuff. @Kal-El814 post is right on the money. 

People are stupid. They don't know who the Axis powers were during WWII. They don't know which albums their favorite songs come from. Their favorite movie might be a Quentin Tarantino film and they may never even choose to bother with the rest of his films, even though they may like those films even more. Adults are really fucking dumb. The lack of intellectual curiosity that most people lack is mind boggling. I know people who don't even have any hobbies or interests. They just float through life, just killing time until they die, not know it's their lack of being pro-active in their own lives that makes their lives so boring, dreary, grey, and miserable. 

Those people watch Infinity War and probably think that the X-Men and Deadpool movies are part of the MCU and wonder why they haven't been in the cross over movies yet, but never bother to do a quick google search to find out the truth. 

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

People are stupid. They don't know who the Axis powers were during WWII. They don't know which albums their favorite songs come from. Their favorite movie might be a Quentin Tarantino film and they may never even choose to bother with the rest of his films, even though they may like those films even more. Adults are really fucking dumb. The lack of intellectual curiosity that most people lack is mind boggling. I know people who don't even have any hobbies or interests. They just float through life, just killing time until they die, not know it's their lack of being pro-active in their own lives that makes their lives so boring, dreary, grey, and miserable. 

Or maybe...just maybe...they have other more relevant priorities in their lives than knowing the minutiae of utterly disposable, sugar-coated, pop culture fluff like the MCU.

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Or maybe...just maybe...they have other more relevant priorities in their lives than knowing the minutiae of utterly disposable, sugar-coated, pop culture fluff like the MCU.

I did say in my post that most people have more immediate, pressing, or social concerns to think about and handle. But no - people are fucking stupid - they aren't handling their more relevant priorities with any more aplomb or ability than how poorly they handle their lack of intellectual curiosity in fluff as well. 

So it really doesn't matter - the general public doesn't know, won't care, and will watch whatever is put in front of them. That much is flatly true. That we keep treating people like most aren't at Trump level intelligence is the biggest lie evolution and the appearance of progress has taught us. We need to stop that line of thinking. Most adults can't balance a checkbook or successfully father/mother children. We're fucked. I want to help people and motivate them and have them learn but in no way do I have any faith in them without guidance from those who do seem to care bother to educate themselves enough to care.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think people forget that a lot of people just don't give a shit about movies. I know people who barely bother with films generally speaking.

We care, of course, because we're fans of the product. Some of the biggest fans anywhere, in all likelihood. We are not representative of the general public. I know I often forget with how much I know about things like politics and movies that most adults just don't care and have more immediate or social concerns to think about than this stuff. @Kal-El814 post is right on the money. 

Those people watch Infinity War and probably think that the X-Men and Deadpool movies are part of the MCU and wonder why they haven't been in the cross over movies yet, but never bother to do a quick google search to find out the truth. 

Lol wow what a super elitist and pretentious post

:lol: You guys are amazing really. You're so focused on proving ME wrong that you're contradicting each other :lol: 

Also, like I said in the other thread, apparently Americans today are too dumb to understand how movies work even though serialized storytelling has existed since BEFORE movies were even a thing going back to old radio shows  :lol::lol::lol:

16 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Not sure what's elitist or pretentious about it. The average person, both in America and in the world, is as I described. It just is. I've been following the news obsessively for the past 3 years particularly now and I do not believe my general description of adults is off base at all.

if it comes off elitist and pretentious, that's you imposing something on my post that simply isn't trying to be evoked by the post itself. I am simply dispassionately stating what most people are like. @Kal-El814 clearly agrees to some degree, so I'm not alone here. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

:lol: You guys are amazing really. You're so focused on proving ME wrong that you're contradicting each other :lol: 

Also, like I said in the other thread, apparently Americans today are too dumb to understand how movies work even though serialized storytelling has existed since BEFORE movies were even a thing going back to old radio shows  :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, that's what I'm saying. I finished Infinity War and most didn't even know there would be a part 2, many thought the characters who died at the end would stay dead, and others didn't even know if there'd be more Marvel movies.

So yes, most Americans (and people everywhere all over the world are dumb), and always have been. You would be correct. Lest we forget, it took five Transformers movies to get the studio to even consider to stop making them. Even Transformers 5 made $130 million domestic and another $500 million international, so yeah, people are fucking stupid.  All people? No. Most people? Feels that way to me. 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yep, that's what I'm saying. I finished Infinity War and most didn't even know there would be a part 2, many thought the characters who died at the end would stay dead, and others didn't even know if there'd be more Marvel movies.

So yes, most Americans (and people everywhere all over the world are dumb), and always have been. You would be correct. Lest we forget, it took five Transformers movies to get the studio to even consider to stop making them. Even Transformers 5 made $130 million domestic and another $500 million international, so yeah, people are fucking stupid.  All people? No. Most people? Feels that way to me. 

@Jason  and @sblfilms I thought you guys said nobody was arguing the point that @Greatoneshere and @Kal-El814 are CLEARLY arguing here :lol:

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@Jason  and @sblfilms I thought you guys said nobody was arguing the point that @Greatoneshere and @Kal-El814 are CLEARLY arguing here :lol:

I mean, it's true. Some didn't know in the very theater I sat in. So . . . 

I don't really care about Infinity War "part 1 and part 2" debate, I was just using that topic to illustrate my point about adults generally. That is my main argument here.

21 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think you’re both misreading my intent.

I don’t think most of the movie going public is “dumb” when it comes to movies, they’re just not invested beyond the specific experience of watching the movie. I don’t think it’s stupid, at all, to be this way. There’s a lot going on in and to experience in life. If someone wants to get super into their hobbies, godspeed. But most people don’t. 

An anecdote. I had an afternoon with a buddy at a local game store where we’re both painting miniatures before we were gonna play Twilight Imperium with some friends. I mentioned that Christian T Petersen was gonna resign at the end of the year and how Asmodee buying up game publishers was having a big effect on the industry. 

Dude didn’t know who Christian T Petersen was despite his name being on every box of Twilight Imperium we’d played for years. Dude didn’t know what Asmodee was, and they’re the biggest board game property owner on the universe. This is a guy who has sat down and played TONS of Twilight Imperium. Has painted the minis in his copy of the game and commissioned copies of the game. It’s his FAVORITE game. He’s probably spent 1,000 hours playing it in his life. But he doesn’t know who designed it or what company owns its publisher. 

He’s not dumb generally. He’s not dumb about board games. He just doesn’t care about how the sausage gets made. 

I really don’t understand why this is so difficult to accept. 

I mean skills... you’re a dude on the Internet who likes Star Wars. You know much more about movies than I do. But you had not heard of the decades old debate about why the Death Star exhaust port didn’t have a lid. EVERYONE is like this about something they REALLY enjoy. You’re not “movie dumb.” Or “Star Wars dumb.” You just didn’t care enough to know that was a debate. Some people are like that with every aspect of every movie they see. That’s all. 

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think you’re both misreading my intent.

I don’t think most of the movie going public is “dumb” when it comes to movies, they’re just not invested beyond the specific experience of watching the movie. I don’t think it’s stupid, at all, to be this way. There’s a lot going on in and to experience in life. If someone wants to get super into their hobbies, godspeed. But most people don’t. 

An anecdote. I had an afternoon with a buddy at a local game store where we’re both painting miniatures before we were gonna play Twilight Imperium with some friends. I mentioned that Christian T Petersen was gonna resign at the end of the year and how Asmodee buying up game publishers was having a big effect on the industry. 

Dude didn’t know who Christian T Petersen was despite his name being on every box of Twilight Imperium we’d played for years. Dude didn’t know what Asmodee was, and they’re the biggest board game property owner on the universe. This is a guy who has sat down and played TONS of Twilight Imperium. Has painted the minis in his copy of the game and commissioned copies of the game. It’s his FAVORITE game. He’s probably spent 1,000 hours playing it in his life. But he doesn’t know who designed it or what company owns its publisher. 

He’s not dumb generally. He’s not dumb about board games. He just doesn’t care about how the sausage gets made. 

I really don’t understand why this is so difficult to accept. 

I mean skills... you’re a dude on the Internet who likes Star Wars. You know much more about movies than I do. But you had not heard of the decades old debate about why the Death Star exhaust port didn’t have a lid. EVERYONE is like this about something they REALLY enjoy. You’re not “movie dumb.” Or “Star Wars dumb.” You just didn’t care enough to know that was a debate. Some people are like that with every aspect of every movie they see. That’s all. 

I'm going one step further and saying most people are dumb, lazy, and/or ignorant and uninterested in improving themselves. I judge humanity for this failure, but I certainly don't begrudge humanity for it, and that's the difference here. Let people live how they want, but I can certainly look at how they live and be disappointed by it. I'm not stopping them from living that way though. 

But, at least, I definitely agree that most people have other/better things to do. 

I don’t think there was contradiction in fact, only (maybe) in conclusion. Great thinks people don’t think about the movie past the exit doors because they are dumb, I just think they don’t care :p

Just now, sblfilms said:

I don’t think there was contradiction in fact, only (maybe) in conclusion. Great thinks people don’t think about the movie past the exit doors because they are dumb, I just think they don’t care :p

He also said that people left the theater thinking everyone is dead for good. Kal El said that people thought that this was the last MCU movie... Jason said no one was making that argument which YOU cosigned. So which is it?

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He also said that people left the theater thinking everyone is dead for good. Kal El said that people thought that this was the last MCU movie... Jason said no one was making that argument which YOU cosigned. So which is it?

People DID leave the theater thinking that, I talked to a ton of them myself. And people do leave the theater with no thought that there will be more movies.

That is what it means to agree in fact but not in conclusion. 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Are you being willfully obtuse today? 

If by pointing out CLEAR contradictions you guys are making and laughing over the keyboard as you guys bend yourself into pretzels, is me being "obtuse" then yeah, I guess I am :shrug:

and by the way, I can do this all day without making personal attacks. But if you want to go there, let's do it.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

You aren’t being as clever as you think you are :p

Of course I'm not... my intellect pales in comparison to the mental giants on this board. I'm just a dumb ass who thinks people can follow basic narratives without needing to go to the internet. But what the fuck do I know? I've just worked in marketing and film and television for most of my adult life...  back on topic, Disney has nothing to worry about in firing James Gunn and replacing the whole goddamned cast because audiences are clearly too dumb to notice anyway.