~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

5 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

I want to a Benito Juárez to Maximiliano these MAGArds.

Many of the crowned heads of Europe and other prominent figures (including the eminent liberals Victor Hugo and Giuseppe Garibaldi) sent telegrams and letters to Mexico pleading desperately for the Emperor's life to be spared. Although he liked Maximilian on a personal level,[53] Juárez refused to commute the sentence in view of the Mexicans who had been killed fighting against Maximilian's forces, and because he believed it was necessary to send a message that Mexico would not tolerate any government imposed by foreign powers. Felix Salm-Salm and his wife masterminded a plan and bribed the jailors to allow Maximilian to escape execution. However, Maximilian would not go through with the plan because he felt that shaving his beard to avoid recognition would ruin his dignity if he were to be recaptured.[54] The sentence was carried out in the Cerro de las Campanas at 6:40 a.m. on the morning of 19 June 1867, when Maximilian, along with Generals Miramón and Mejía, was executed by a firing squad. He spoke only in Spanish and gave each of his executioners a gold coin not to shoot him in the head so that his mother could see his face. His last words were, "I forgive everyone, and I ask everyone to forgive me. May my blood, which is about to be shed, be for the good of the country. Viva Mexico, viva la independencia!"[55

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_I_of_Mexico

23 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I was going to say that a kneejerk reaction that it's because she is a woman of color and he is a white man may be premature. The double standard also might just be that the GOP is expected to be incompetent liars.

But at this point, the demographics make the two possibilities essentially indistinguishable.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well, Trump strikes me as the opportunistically paranoid sort who is susceptible to social media-fed conspiracy theories, provided they align with his own narcissistic intuitions.

It’s actually kind of fascinating seeing the Trump that existed before the rise of social media and Trump as he is now—I think the technology‘s clearly made him more unhinged.  Maybe the impulses were there before (who knows?) but social media and especially Twitter seems to have radically augmented them.

I’ve seen similar phenomena appear all over the place amongst many different types of people, too, though not as radically as in politics.  Social media is definitely part of our accelerating social psychosis.

6 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Oh lawd.

Have they set a date?

Probably but either way the Useless Old Woman has demoted Nadler and put Schiff in charge of impeachment so :feelsgood:

Nadler has been fucking weaksauce, and Schiff is a former prosecutor, so...::feelsgood:

14 hours ago, finaljedi said:

I've always wondered about his approval ratings.  He has that rock solid 35% or so base, and his approval among Republicans usually hangs in the 90s.  Are republicans that small of a party by numbers compared to democrats?

Neither of the major parties ever commanded anything close to a majority but fewer Americans have identified as Republican in the age of trump (for obvious reasons).