Multiple Gunshot Victims near Odessa, Texas

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

maybe this movie should be pulled? considering the snowflake conservatives had a movie pulled they didnt agree with

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/11/controversy-erupts-over-universal-pulling-its-release-of-the-hunt/

Haha, corporate media won't pull conservative media based on fears from the left regarding violence against the left.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Doesn't he mean he wouldn't be able to lend his gun to anyone with universal background checks? 

Correct. He wasn’t talking about being unable to lend his guns to prohibited persons, he was saying he couldn’t lend them to anyone. I still say “oh well” to that, but AOC is either intentionally misrepresenting what he is saying or misunderstood it because she is arguing against a position the guy isn’t taking.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Correct. He wasn’t talking about being unable to lend his guns to prohibited persons, he was saying he couldn’t lend them to anyone. I still say “oh well” to that, but AOC is either intentionally misrepresenting what he is saying or misunderstood it because she is arguing against a position the guy isn’t taking.

So she’s arguing in ways only Republicans can understand?

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Or she's being sarcastic to make a larger point. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Or she's being sarcastic to make a larger point. 

Could be, but it doesn’t seem to read that way and the responses I’ve seen don’t interpret it as such. She seems to sincerely believe the only reason a person would borrow a gun is because they can’t pass a background check. 

I think the point she is making is you shouldnt be allowed to just let people borrow a gun. Which she is 100% correct. 

Its one thing to have someone tag along with you to a gun range where they can try out your guns...its another to just give someone a gun and be like - hey just return it when youre through. 

Can't you already lose your gun license, and therefore any guns you own if you commit a felony, or really any crime that would put you on the list of people not allowed to buy a gun? Therefore isn't the Second Amendment more of a privilege than it is a right? 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

Can't you already lose your gun license, and therefore any guns you own if you commit a felony, or really any crime that would put you on the list of people not allowed to buy a gun? Therefore isn't the Second Amendment more of a privilege than it is a right? 

No it’s an inalienable right bestowed upon American by God.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Why would you need to borrow a gun?

I went to a shooting range for a bachelor’s party back in the day and borrowed my dad’s gun because I don’t own any. My friends all go dove hunting and not all can afford their own guns and borrow from each other. Some people want to try a particular gun before they buy. Lots of non-nefarious reasons.

54 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You guys give Danny boy too much credit.

You guys still don’t understand. UBC laws would necessarily make it such that one individual couldn’t loan a gun to another individual, regardless of their ability to pass a background check. That’s why our resident gun nut @mclumber1is always promoting the DIY background check so individuals can verify that a person is able to legally possess a gun prior to a transfer.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I went to a shooting range for a bachelor’s party back in the day and borrowed my dad’s gun because I don’t own any. My friends all go dove hunting and not all can afford their own guns and borrow from each other. Some people want to try a particular gun before they buy. Lots of non-nefarious reasons.

You guys still don’t understand. UBC laws would necessarily make it such that one individual couldn’t loan a gun to another individual, regardless of their ability to pass a background check. That’s why our resident gun nut @mclumber1is always promoting the DIY background check so individuals can verify that a person is able to legally possess a gun prior to a transfer.

Tbh I consider that a feature, not a bug.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Tbh I consider that a feature, not a bug.

That’s a fine position to argue!

Just now, osxmatt said:

I’ve never been to a shooting range, so this may be a stupid question, but can you not “check out” guns there?

Most ranges have rentals from what I recall. Just have to pay the fee. I don’t know that you can try out all guns they sell, but I’ve probably gone to the shooting range 4 or 5 times in my 34 years of life and I always used guns from friends/family so I didn’t spend much time at the counter looking at what was offered.

45 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I’ve never been to a shooting range, so this may be a stupid question, but can you not “check out” guns there?

Yes you can... even in the people's republic of California. I've actually been to the range a couple of times with buddies. There didn't seem to be a limit to what guns we could try. You just can't be "visibly intoxicated".

We're required to be mindful of a person's capacity to drive safely before we loan them our vehicle, otherwise we may be liable. You're also on the hook if you loan to someone you know isn't licensed. I don't see why similar regulations can't work with universal background checks; Crenshaw sounds more like your typical Republican using a maximal argument to avoid discussing reality. If you don't want to be on the hook for crimes committed with the gun you loaned to someone the choices are a) don't loan your gun to that person or b) argue that you shouldn't be held liable.  Crenshaw chose B.