~Thread of Possible Impeachment~

~Thread of Possible Impeachment~  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will the House attempt impeachment within the 2019 calendar year?

13 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

If the Cardinals win the Superbowl. 

This reminds me of the year the Cardinals actually made it to the superbowl and I told him at the beginning of the season (maybe the playoffs) that they'd go to the superbowl and when they did he thought I was a god of sports predicting after that. :lol:

There's a valid argument that the House's hand is strengthened during impeachment and although that seems obvious; less obvious is that Congress has a right to this stuff anyway, without official impeachment proceedings actively underway, and setting a precedent that impeachment proceedings are necessary to begin oversight would be bad.

As much as I'd like Pelosi to lead on this, she's protecting her majority. That's secondary to me but I get it. I think she has it backwards but thankfully she's not the only leader in the House. Nadler clearly wants to begin impeachment and is only allowing himself to be constrained by the full House. It would appear he has a majority in his committee to vote for it as well. It would probably be good politics to limit the public proceedings to the judiciary committee for the time being.

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

He won't be impeached. Are Dems hoping it will help them in next year's election if they take yet another big swing at Trump and whiff?

I don't think it's an election calculation for those advocating it.   It's probably legitimately a "principal" issue now or they're getting an earful from their constituents.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I don't think it's an election calculation for those advocating it.   It's probably legitimately a "principal" issue now or they're getting an earful from their constituents.

Regardless if the impeachment is successful or not, I think it's important that they follow through, as it would at least set the (very low) standard by which future Presidents should be judged.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Regardless if the impeachment is successful or not, I think it's important that they follow through, as it would at least set the (very low) standard by which future Presidents should be judged.

I would be open to retroactively impeaching Barack for the Libya intervention.

Impeachment doesn't need to "work" to be a process that lays out the treason, bribery, and high crimes & misdemeanors of our current president well into the election; not to mention force vulnerable senators to impale themselves defending him up to and including Moscow Mitch.

The House won't even get a chance to finish their proceedings before the Senate will be bombarded with questions and the real problem for trump, the thing that will drive him the most insane, is that it will be a source of daily news.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Impeachment doesn't need to "work" to be a process that lays out the treason, bribery, and high crimes & misdemeanors of our current president well into the election; not to mention force vulnerable senators to impale themselves defending him up to and including Moscow Mitch.

The House won't even get a chance to finish their proceedings before the Senate will be bombarded with questions and the real problem for trump, the thing that will drive him the most insane, is that it will be a source of daily news.

lol, its funny that you think the GOP or any of it's supporters care about any crime Trump committed. And he loves the news cycle, good or bad. When its good he brags, and when its bad he rages to fire up his base. Impeachment will go nowhere, period. If anything, it'll siphon centrist voters to the right, because they are sick of rehashing the exact same talking points day after day. 

• Guillotine 2

39 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Impeachment will go nowhere, period. If anything, it'll siphon centrist voters to the right, because they are sick of rehashing the exact same talking points day after day. 

There is nothing to back that up. More so trump has done loads to alienate the moderates (it’s why his numbers are far below when he was elected).

You are right that gop won’t care. They’ve shown that they’re complacent with all of this.

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

There is nothing to back that up. More so trump has done loads to alienate the moderates (it’s why his numbers are far below when he was elected).

You are right that gop won’t care. They’ve shown that they’re complacent with all of this.

Trump has never had good numbers, but he has numbers in the states that matter. And Pelosi isn't impeaching because she knows that it will only make republicans turn out in droves, and centrists vote republican. The far left has it's own problems, and i'd say that many centrists would rather vote for a bad person than a far left candidate with what they consider bad policy. Student loan forgiveness, UBI talk, green new deal, all that stuff is just pushing moderates further right. The right might be horrible, but they are unified. The left has multiple parties within a party, and they hate each other as much as they hate the right. 

But yes, the left hates everyone both further to the left, and further to the right than themselves, and the right is united in their hated for anything left of Donald Trump, no matter what the policy actually is. This is basically the story of republics since their founding

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

And Pelosi isn't impeaching because she knows that it will only make republicans turn out in droves, and centrists vote republican.

What would be the basis of this position?

Who fucking cares if "Republicans turn out in droves" or that "centrists vote Republican"?  Pro-tip: if a "centrist" actually votes for this incarnation of the Republican Party, they're not a "centrist" anyway.

As my favorite Central American right-wing death squad commander once said, "The political center is like an anus: it stinks and is full of shit."

• Like 2