Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris was seriously burning

I've been out of town, admittedly partying, and I just saw this news this morning somehow. Being a huge fan of architecture and having seen it with my own eyes twice, that's seriously brutal. 

Edit: Reading this thread further, it looks like it wasn't nearly as bad as first expected. And gladly nobody actually cares about utter nonsense like restoration donations going to completely unrelated causes. 

18 hours ago, johnny said:

It’s cute that you think it’s not a zero sum game 

If you're arguing that money spent has a perfectly linear relationship with the quality of life, then I'm afraid you've just given the rich a remarkably good reason for amassing their wealth without bound.

I think we should also acknowledge that "fighting poverty" isn't really a choice in itself. It's more of a goal, and how to achieve the goal isn't really clear.

I think a more comparable counter point is contrasting our disaster relief afforded to Puerto Rico versus the response to this.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

sounds like richie rich making some self-justifications tbh

Sorry, took a few minutes to climb over the stack of $$$ I have collected from Endgame pre-sales.

Go on.

So, I have seen people complain about these rich people giving money to restore the church instead of doing something like donating it to Flint, MI. Ignoring the fact that the rich people are mostly french in this instance, could they really say, "here is few hundred million, now fix flint," and then that money is used to fix their water issue? Like, would throwing money at it just really work, or is there more than just the issue of money? 

18 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, I have seen people complain about these rich people giving money to restore the church instead of doing something like donating it to Flint, MI. Ignoring the fact that the rich people are mostly french in this instance, could they really say, "here is few hundred million, now fix flint," and then that money is used to fix their water issue? Like, would throwing money at it just really work, or is there more than just the issue of money? 

It would work, the whole reason lead pipes are still in use is the cost to replace them is high, especially in a country where a lot of people can't afford a few hundred dollar surprise bill. Estimates to replace the pipes in Flint are also far lower than the hundreds of millions raised for notre dame. It's not like a technical issue that needs to be resolved or anything. 

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Flint is the story of corporate interest and government collusion - some French asshole isn't going to fix our stupidity.

• 4 weeks later...

They're taking proposals for how the repairs should be done, the goal isn't to just recreate it but to modern looks as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/05/13/panoramic-views-glass-roof-how-architects-are-reimagining-notre-dame/?fbclid=IwAR13ZQqHwBGRvRDma7Qr3EWcmavTMXCkk-OktXfUfo6AAEYVepDY8Dix7SU&utm_term=.91cbdf1a9969

CNMQMDDRA4I6TEZRGC6FQNXURY.jpg

This one is interesting because it proposes turning the roof into a public space with trees as well as the glass roof.

C4TADEDRA4I6TEZRGC6FQNXURY.jpg