Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris was seriously burning

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Apparently Michelle Obama was on a river cruise when the building caught on fire and is getting shit for not jumping in the river and swimming over to personally help put out the fire.

I mean, she could have.

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Hot take: Poverty will always exist. We should make the Cathedral last as long as it can. 

Hotter take: human suffering should be a priority over pretty things, no matter how beloved and the fact that something cannot be outright defeated does not mean it should not be fought.  Disease will always exist, I don't suggest we stop looking for new treatments.

• Jason changed the title to Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris was seriously burning
43 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Hot take: Poverty will always exist. We should make the Cathedral last as long as it can. 

Hot take: Preventing the suffering of people is more important than the Cathedral. Just because you can’t eradicate poverty doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do what we can. 

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Why people gotta treat this like it's a zero sum game?

Unfortunately I don’t have the money to pay for either of them. But the rich people do, yet choose not to. 

39 minutes ago, johnny said:

Hot take: Preventing the suffering of people is more important than the Cathedral. Just because you can’t eradicate poverty doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do what we can. 

Unfortunately I don’t have the money to pay for either of them. But the rich people do, yet choose not to. 

I'm pretty sure there are rich people who do donate to causes to eradicate poverty. 

I want historical sites preserved and restored and I also want a reduction in human poverty. Both can be done and are being done. Like I said, it's not a zero sum game.

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm pretty sure there are rich people who do donate to causes to eradicate poverty. 

I want historical sites preserved and restored and I also want a reduction in human poverty. Both can be done and are being done. Like I said, it's not a zero sum game.

I’d also like them preserved but it pales in comparison to human lives. At the end of the day it’s a building. There are more important things to worry about tbh. Maybe if there was more celebration of donations towards poverty it would in turn cause more people to care. 

Ultimately, the cost of reconstruction will be borne by the French state, one way or another.

This is an instance where the French public should have a say in the extent of the reconstruction or whether it should occur at all.

I would rather see the costs of reconstruction knowingly borne directly by the public than indirectly borne through the "largesse" of billionaires.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I fully expect to see johnny in the Avengers thread asking why millions are being spent on a frivolous movie while poverty exists. 

Johnny better donate to an anti-poverty fund instead of going to see the movie. Bet you he even buys popcorn. :angry:

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Johnny better donate to an anti-poverty fund instead of going to see the movie. Bet you he even buys popcorn. :angry:

He buys video games when he could be donating to causes to eradicate poverty. For shame. Bet he even buys A's stuff, too, contributing to rich people's success when other people are poor. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He buys video games when he could be donating to causes to eradicate poverty. For shame. Bet he even buys A's stuff, too, contributing to rich people's success when other people are poor. 

A's? 

For real, though, I realize the French people will bear the burden of funding the restoration. I'd figure the majority are good with that, considering it's such an icon and brings a ton of tourism to France, since it's the most visited site in the country.

And I don't think most rich people donate to charitable causes out of pure altruism.