GRRM is "Mad" He hasn't finished The Winds of Winter

The question is, does anyone care at this point?

My guess is after the final season of the show, not many will.

"I know there are a lot of people out there who are very angry with me that Winds of Winter isn’t finished. And I’m mad about that myself,” said Martin. "I wished I finished it four years ago. I wished it was finished now. But it’s not. And I’ve had dark nights of the soul where I’ve pounded my head against the keyboard and said, 'God, will I ever finish this? The show is going further and further forward and I’m falling further and further behind. What the hell is happening here? I’ve got to do this.’"

"I just got the [Fire and Blood] copy and... It’s been a long while since I had a new Westeros book and nobody knows that as well as I do. I know that just as much as the angriest of my hardcore fans. And I have continued to publish other things. It’s not like I’ve been on a seven-year vacation. I have Wild Cards books coming out every six months. But not like this, one that’s entirely my writing. So to finish a book that I’m proud of and excited by was emotionally a big lift for me."

I get it. Thinking about all that pressure he must be feeling (both internal and external), what it really makes me think of is JK Rowling. By the time the last few Harry Potter books were coming out, that series was the biggest thing in the world. The fact that she was able to keep up a steady pace and quality with all of that going on is quite remarkable. 

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I get it. Thinking about all that pressure he must be feeling (both internal and external), what it really makes me think of is JK Rowling. By the time the last few Harry Potter books were coming out, that series was the biggest thing in the world. The fact that she was able to keep up a steady pace and quality with all of that going on is quite remarkable. 

Females are strong as hell 

I do empathize with him as writer's block is horrible, and trying to string together 85 storylines into one book can't be easy. I think people are too quick to judge him sometimes for taking so long, when realistically 95% of authors wouldn't have been able to do it either, there are so many things to juggle in the story.

Having said that, he doesn't help the matter by constantly going to conventions (he refuses to write on the road), and by writing other books.

I really dislike that the show will end up being the definitive version since the last 1/2 of the series has sucked so much in terms of story and character complexity/behaviour, but oh well.

"A Clash of Kings" (the second book) is really one of the better books I have read.  After that there was a decrease in quality.  I would agree when you factor in his age and the other projects he is more eager to work on that he probably won't finish this series.  He will probably get the next book out, but not the final one.

I have a lot of sympathy for him. My personal hope is that the TV series ending will relieve a lot of the pressure, and he'll be able to work on it more or less at his own pace. Write 3 more books, change your mind on the ending, do whatever he feels like. It seems like he's maybe more interested, or at least feeling more capable, of doing other books and shows, and that's all fine. I do hope I get to read his ending to the series, but ultimately the version that will live on in pop-culture is the show, for better or worse.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I do empathize with him as writer's block is horrible, and trying to string together 85 storylines into one book can't be easy. I think people are too quick to judge him sometimes for taking so long, when realistically 95% of authors wouldn't have been able to do it either, there are so many things to juggle in the story.

Having said that, he doesn't help the matter by constantly going to conventions (he refuses to write on the road), and by writing other books.

I really dislike that the show will end up being the definitive version since the last 1/2 of the series has sucked so much in terms of story and character complexity/behaviour, but oh well.

He gets a hard time because he has talked shit about other authors repeatedly, critiqued his OWN FUCKING SHOW for veering off the books because they had to basically and for focusing on other projects instead of finishing this. Writer's block does suck, but he's someone who claims to have mapped out the books far in advance. I think his issue is less having writer's block and more being worried that the reader is on to him and has figured out a lot of his twists that he had planned. His writer's block MAY come from him wanting to come up with more "twists" rather than just telling the story he intended... I bet he's REALLY rueing the day he went after Lindelof and the Lost team for how they wrapped that series up :lol: Oh and as other's have said, JK Rowlings and Steven King are two authors to name a few that have managed to keep their output high while focusing on other projects. This is unprofessional and embarrassing and his publisher will probably have words with him at some point. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is true.

The Last Kingdom >>>>> Game of Thrones (and this is coming from a hard Game of Thrones book and TV fan). 

Season 3 just came out on Netlfix this past Monday. On episode 5 - it is still amazeballs.

Same. I'm through episode 3, and it just keeps getting better. And from the books, the best is still yet to come!

I also just got War of the Wolf, but I haven't started it yet as I'm currently on book 4 of Expeditionary Force. 

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

He should just say “fuck it” and move on.  Clearly there is something psychological going on preventing him from finishing this series and it doesn’t impact his other writing projects. 

gEZSfs4.gif

Maybe he's like Mozart in "Amadeus" and writing it is killing him.

I can't really recall another sci-fi or fantasy that has followed this arc.

Martin is not the first author to seemingly be intimidated into silence by the expectations of an epic series that exploded in popularity. But he may be the first one to have millions of fans go from, "Hurry up and finish the series, these books are my everything!!!" to "Eh, you're still writing those? I just watch the show now".

On the surface, that would give the writer what he wants; less impatience and anticipation to deal with so they can finish the series right. But in reality there's got to be some feeling of, "Why even fucking bother?" at this point.

I mean, I only read the first book and haven't watched the series, but I've heard that things have diverged quite a bit. And so Martin finds himself in the rare and awkward position that the conclusion of the series he created and he is writing will probably be different enough so that fans won't consider it the "real" ending since it will come after....likely loooooong after the end of the show.