Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

1 hour ago, Joe said:

It's a clear tell that many of you seem more interested in criticizing the legacy of one of the most important Americans ever than the shitty system that allows this situation to occur. Also a tell that none of you have ever been positively impacted by RBG's work (ie you're a bunch of dudes).

If you think Ginsburg’s only contributions to society were in favor of women, you have discounted her work to an alarming degree. Or maybe you aren’t particular familiar with her work? The reach is well beyond “women’s issues”.

The reason she is being criticized at this moment for that decision is because the price of the gamble that she likely lost is unfolding literally right now with the GOP senators beginning to line up hours after her death to fill her seat with a Federalist Society pick. That decision is having an immediate impact on the court and possibly the election itself.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If you think Ginsburg’s only contributions to society were in favor of women, you have discounted her work to an alarming degree. Or maybe you aren’t particular familiar with her work? The reach is well beyond “women’s issues”.

The reason she is being criticized at this moment for that decision is because the price of the gamble that she likely lost is unfolding literally right now with the GOP senators beginning to line up hours after her death to fill her seat with a Federalist Society pick. That decision is having an immediate impact on the court and possibly the election itself.

Obviously her work is not exclusive to women's rights issues, but that's where much of it was most impactful. I'm not seeing any women on Twitter being evil about her death for a reason.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

Obviously her work is not exclusive to women's rights issues, but that's where much of it was most impactful. I'm not seeing any women on Twitter being evil about her death for a reason.

You think this precisely because women and racial/ethnic minorities are only remembered for their contributions to the demographic to which they belong. It’s unfortunate that we approach people this way, but I understand how that perspective is derived. 

Her work in the courts covered every topic under the sun, she shaped or authored court opinions (and dissents) on cases that touch in every aspect of American life. I would encourage everybody to find a list of her writings as a judge and see for yourself that she was more than just the lady who fought for ladies.

I guess I have a somewhat unique perspective on RBG stepping down.

Yes, she should have done it during Obama's time in office.

No, it didn't take an act of some great prognostication to know that there was a very good chance if she didn't get out then that a Republican was probably going to fill her seat. She was already well past 80 and the modern political pendulum favors two term presidents that are replaced by a president from the opposing party.

However, it's worse than pointless to argue about that now. It's done. Get Biden elected, then we can worry about that argument as it pertains to Breyer.

Until then, you're just arguing about whose fault the beaver dam is.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You think this precisely because women and racial/ethnic minorities are only remembered for their contributions to the demographic to which they belong. It’s unfortunate that we approach people this way, but I understand how that perspective is derived. 

Her work in the courts covered every topic under the sun, she shaped or authored court opinions (and dissents) on cases that touch in every aspect of American life. I would encourage everybody to find a list of her writings as a judge and see for yourself that she was more than just the lady who fought for ladies.

Dude, she literally co-founded the ACLU Woman's Rights Project and argued over 300 gender discrimination cases in her career. It's not a stretch to say she was a champion for women's rights as an attorney.

The founding fathers were a bunch of pretentious hypocrites. Who honestly expected this country to last more than a few hundred years? I mean shit, we already broke up once and it still holds the record for deadliest conflict in our history. Most countries that survive civil war...well, they usually go on to have more civil wars.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Dude, she literally co-founded the ACLU Woman's Rights Project and argued over 300 gender discrimination cases in her career. It's not a stretch to say she was a champion for women's rights as an attorney.

Her work as a lawyer is one piece of her life’s work, and it’s less impactful part than her work as a judge. It’s not even arguable. Even on the matter of women’s rights, her SCOTUS work is of a higher magnitude than her time as an attorney. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Her work as a lawyer is one piece of her life’s work, and it’s less impactful part than her work as a judge. It’s not even arguable. Even on the matter of women’s rights, her SCOTUS work is of a higher magnitude than her time as an attorney. 

Yeah.  For instance, Pope Francis was an incredibly good person before he was made Pope!  But no one is going to remember him for riding the subway in Argentina or his work as a priest before he was elected.  He will be remembered for what he did as Pope.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah.  For instance, Pope Francis was an incredibly good person before he was made Pope!  But no one is going to remember him for riding the subway in Argentina or his work as a priest before he was elected.  He will be remembered for what he did as Pope.

You had the Thurgood Marshall analogy dangling in front of you and you went with the Pope lmao.

• Haha 1

4b472881-b317-4c93-ab25-40cd898c7479-get
SECURE.ACTBLUE.COM

Do your part to flip the Senate by donating to the eventual Democratic nominee in 10 seats we need to flip (and one to protect).

This splits the money among the Senate races that are listed in this thread as most in need. My wife and I just gave $500.

Screenshot-20200919-104056.png
IBB.CO

Image Screenshot-20200919-104056 hosted in ImgBB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

RBG gave me the right to not be forced into a nursing home.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 2

Still, stunned Republicans expressed initial skepticism on Friday night that Mr. McConnell would find enough votes to confirm a new justice in the weeks before the election.

And some of them thought Mr. McConnell would also be unable to do so in a lame-duck session if Republicans lose the White House and control of the Senate.

Two former Senate Republican leadership aides close to Mr. McConnell read the concluding sentence of his statement — “President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate” — to mean that he was not committed to pushing through the confirmation before the election and may wait until the lame-duck session.

Privately, some party strategists warned that if Democrats won the presidency and the Senate and Republicans seated a new justice before Joseph R. Biden Jr. and the new Senators were sworn in, Democrats would exact retribution by ending the filibuster and moving to pack the Supreme Court.

Democrats, for their part, moved swiftly to warn Republicans against a hasty confirmation process — echoing Mr. McConnell’s own comments from 2016.

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

yup the actual best case scenario is they fuck around and confirm somebody and dems grow some actual big hairy balls (yah right) and fuck over gop forever going foward if my some miracle they take all three back and expand anything they can

Great article on why norms must be broken to protect them:

Excerpt:

What this means, pretty straightforwardly, is that norms don’t just rely on the willingness of the relevant actors to adhere to them. They also rely on the willingness of actors to violate them under the right circumstances. If one side violates, then the other side has to be prepared to punish. If one side threatens a violation, then the other side has to threaten in turn, to make it clear that deviating from the norm will be costly. A norm governing relations between two opposing sides, where one side acts strategically (to exploit opportunities) and the other naively (always to support the norm) can’t be sustained.

If norms rest – as surely they must – in part on implied threats of what will happen if the other side stops adhering to them, then the best strategy for preserving norms will often not be to commit to adhere to them unconditionally. Instead, the best strategy to preserve norms may be to make it clear that your adherence to the norms are conditional, that you will retaliate if the other side deviates from the norms, and to actively and vigorously retaliate against the other side if they do deviate, delivering on your threats. That’s the lesson that I think FDR has for normcore, even if it isn’t the lesson that Levitsky and Ziblatt emphasize in their book .

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

How about making them actual laws and dispensing with the silly pretense once and for all?

Requires winning elections too often and the establishment Dems are allergic to winning very winnable elections.