Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

103474860-4ED3-SA-Mcconnell-031616.jpg?v
WWW.CNBC.COM

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell responds to President Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. McConnell says the American people should have a say in the nomination.

At no point during this does he mention anything about the bullshit Biden rule only applying if the Senate and POTUS are of different parties. Hit 'em hard with this, Dems.

• Guillotine 1

The odds the GOP doesn’t get this seat filled is are so bad. The value is too great, and the particular pride they will have in replacing Ginsburg specifically can’t be ignored.

What's wrong with an ever expanding court? Like honestly someone spell this out, because it seems to me if you have both houses and the presidency, (and this doesn't happen or last very long) then you generally have the popular will on your side. Further, I'd say that the norm against expanding the court is more dangerous in this respect because it encourages this gamesmanship to put the youngest ideologue on the bench as possible so long as you only have the right two of the three key parts, and not the one house or branch that is most representative of the popular will. I mean, just think, when have the trifectas occurred? Just in my lifetime 91-93, 03-07, 09-11, 17-19. Before that, 77-81 and 67-69. So about once a decade for the past 60 years. That beats the living fuck out of the next 20-30 years guaranteed to hope for Roberts or Kav to choke on a pretzel or alcohol poisoning, respectively, or something else. I dunno, maybe thomas kicks it next year and we're back to 5-4 instead of 6-3. It's still on the losing end, and the golden nuggets of hope are fewer and further between anyway. And if it becomes more frequent to seesaw back and fourth from trifecta to not more frequently, the better.

And with climate change, we don't have 20-30 years for these people to quit or die.

This is a political institution, it should respond to politics. And it's not like they really make law, the institution by design is reactive. 

Lastly, if you look at what Mitch has done since 2015 in terms of not filling vacancies, then filling them with utmost haste from 2017 onward, and not see it as packing the courts, you're a fucking moron, a damn fool. The courts are now packed, top to bottom. A full quarter of I believe the appellate courts are trump appointments. Now what are we going to do about it? Wait 30 years?

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These republicans have shown and told us time and time again exactly who they are, their actions are independent on their electoral chances in 50 days. I'd love to be wrong though!

Doesn't matter to me whether you're right or not. You could be spot-on. Maybe Murkowski's the only one who actually cared about who's on SCOTUS, but I'm not sitting around not contributing to something. 

Knowing when a fight is lost is important. SCOTUS picks are not as important to swing voters as they are to people on the extremes. There really is little electoral pressure to be placed on republican senators for supporting a Trump nominee, but there is clearly negative ramifications for opposing anything Trump favors by the GOP base.

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

As I look around this thread and the web, I don't see anyone asking the most important question that is still in doubt; will Trump will get to replace Breyer in his second term or will he have to wait until his third? :thinking:

I remember an election night where you went to sleep early comfortable in who "won" I see that you see the reality of the situation now :epilepsy:

Edit: it's horrible how quick the Republicans are jumping on this so quickly.