Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

I’ll say I don’t think there is any reason to be nasty about this amazing woman. She lived a remarkable life. I do understand why at this particular moment her decision not to retire in 2014 generates such strong emotions. Would be best to keep them in check.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Talked with my mom and she's upset that Ginsburg didn't step down.

There, a woman complained.

I spoke to two friends of mine, both with vaginas... they were upset she didn't step down too.  #Twitteraintreality

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Collins is already on record saying she won't vote. Murkowski and Romney are probably sure-bets as well. They only need one more defection.

Let's put a wager on it... whatever you want to bet that Trump gets his choice confirmed before the end of the year. The only one of these three that I even come CLOSE to expecting to stand on principle is Romney. Murkowski and Collins? :lol:

1 hour ago, Joe said:

They're shifting goalposts and acting like they didn't say absolutely nasty things about her on the day of her death previously in the thread.

Go ahead and point out to me where I said something nasty about her in this thread. I even called someone out for going too far. Critiquing someone who made a wrong call that will affect millions for generations is not the same as shitting on their grave... Jesus fucking christ. No wonder the only progress progressives make in this country is how far backwards they allow the country to go by thinking whining is an effective strategy :|

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You're the one insisting she'll vote for a Trump nominee at this point. I'm merely contesting your claim. I never said she alone would save us.

I'm saying don't count on her to be the one to prevent Trump from packing the court for conservatives. She had cover to not vote for Kavanaugh... if she doesn't have that here and is the deciding vote she'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day. I'm open for bets.

Just now, sexy_shapiro said:

Are LGBT people allowed to be upset that she didn’t step down earlier? There will certainly be a rolling back of our rights with the court swinging even further to the right. I just wanna make sure I’m qualified enough to to be disgruntled before I start sharing my feelings.

Not to mention minorities, illegal immigrants, freedom of speech advocates, non christian religious people...

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm saying don't count on her to be the one to prevent Trump from packing the court for conservatives. She had cover to not vote for Kavanaugh... if she doesn't have that here and is the deciding vote she'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day. I'm open for bets.

You said this:

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Let's put a wager on it... whatever you want to bet that Trump gets his choice confirmed before the end of the year. The only one of these three that I even come CLOSE to expecting to stand on principle is Romney. Murkowski and Collins? :lol:

So I responded. It's completely reasonable to expect Murkowski to stick to her word since she's already made the statement and she also refused to vote for Kavanaugh. That's it. I'm not getting into a pissing contest making worthless bets because I don't know how this will play out. It's very likely it'll be disastrous. I hope not, but I have to prepare for the worst. All of three of them could hold firm and refuse to vote or they could all cave. I don't know. And neither do you.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You said this:

So I responded. It's completely reasonable to expect Murkowski to stick to her word since she's already made the statement and she also refused to vote for Kavanaugh. That's it. I'm not getting into a pissing contest making worthless bets because I don't know how this will play out. It's very likely it'll be disastrous. I hope not, but I have to prepare for the worst. All of three of them could hold firm and refuse to vote or they could all cave. I don't know. And neither do you.

I don't "know"... but I'm willing to bet. Are you?

19 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I wish the left was as serious about judges as the right is. This might be the event to get their priorities in order

The American "left" has this seeming blind spot to certain political realities.  In addition to the "unseriousness" about judges, look at their neglect of sub-national elections for most of the 2010s which allowed their enemies to capture state legislatures and governorships at an astounding rate.

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The American "left" has this seeming blind spot to certain political realities.  In addition to the "unseriousness" about judges, look at their neglect of sub-national elections for most of the 2010s which allowed their enemies to capture state legislatures and governorships at an astounding rate.

The American Left still thinks that moral victories are actual victories.

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Go ahead and point out to me where I said something nasty about her in this thread. I even called someone out for going too far. Critiquing someone who made a wrong call that will affect millions for generations is not the same as shitting on their grave... Jesus fucking christ. No wonder the only progress progressives make in this country is how far backwards they allow the country to go by thinking whining is an effective strategy :|

What on Earth lmao? Bro, you weren't even posting last night. Sorry if you have a weird chip on your shoulder.

Put simply: the strategy of "All we have to do is win the presidency and all will be well" isn't really that much of one, not with this Rube Goldberg-like contraption of a federalized political system.

You literally have to contest everything at every level due to the diffusion of power.  What's worse is that diffusion actually does have interlocking impacts at completely unrelated levels.

If aliens arrived and asked me, "Take me to your leader", I honestly have no idea where to point them.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah, this seems even stranger because I don't recall you saying anything and no one ever called you out, so I don't know why you're on the defense about it.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I do hope since RBG was such a revered, almost godlike figure on the left, it'll make them more eager to vote. I can't think of any other SCOTUS justice with the celebrity she had.

The massive uptick in donations certainly is encouraging. Let's hope it lasts.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, this seems even stranger because I don't recall you saying anything and no one ever called you out, so I don't know why you're on the defense about it.

I posted right after bm posted and skillz had not even posted in at least 5 or 6 posts. Absolutely bizarre.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

What on Earth lmao? Bro, you weren't even posting last night. Sorry if you have a weird chip on your shoulder.

Damn I must have imagined posting this

On 9/18/2020 at 8:24 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I get the frustration but that's a bit much.

Among several other posts I made last night before I had to got to work cutting a story about this very subject and I'm just getting caught up.  If you weren't talking about me, cool. But you seemed to lump EVERYBODY in who expressed their frustration with some of your comments. Nothing bizarre about how I interpreted what YOU posted. "Them" and "They" are not proper pronouns.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn I must have imagined posting this

Among several other posts I made last night before I had to got to work cutting a story about this very subject and I'm just getting caught up.  If you weren't talking about me, cool. But you seemed to lump EVERYBODY in who expressed their frustration with some of your comments. Nothing bizarre about how I interpreted what YOU posted. "Them" and "They" are not proper pronouns.

If you weren't shifting goalposts, how could I possibly accuse you of shifting them? I was responding directly to bm for his posts saying things like "fuck her" and then pretending he was merely criticizing her. Others also acted as though I had an issue with mere criticism when the nasty posts are here in this thread for all to see. I'm sorry I don't list every single person I'm referring to when I use a pronoun. I'll be sure to let you know you're not part of a pronoun when I use it in the future.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’ll say I don’t think there is any reason to be nasty about this amazing woman. She lived a remarkable life. I do understand why at this particular moment her decision not to retire in 2014 generates such strong emotions. Would be best to keep them in check.

Anyway, the discussion on this particular topic should have ended after this post. I'm willing to pretend last night was just an emotionally charged event all around if it means we can stop fucking talk about this. 

It's so bad I'm willing to read a Jason post of a Trump tweet at this point.

28 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Put simply: the strategy of "All we have to do is win the presidency and all will be well" isn't really that much of one, not with this Rube Goldberg-like contraption of a federalized political system.

You literally have to contest everything at every level due to the diffusion of power.  What's worse is that diffusion actually does have interlocking impacts at completely unrelated levels.

If aliens arrived and asked me, "Take me to your leader", I honestly have no idea where to point them.

The people who believe a Biden victory will undue the damage of the past 4 years are delusional. All a Biden victory will do is put speed bumps in front of the GOP.

They've already charted their course. They know where they're going. And it only ends one way.

Well some of us have the potential to either be directed affected by a rightward shift in the court by Republicans who have been looking to undo large shifts in progress in the law in this country or know people who WILL be affected. Not just women. I've been telling friends of mine that their kids and my nieces and nephews are gonna grow up in a MUCH different country than the one we grew up in. So forgive me if I have a bit of a "chip on my shoulder." This shit isn't just an internet discussion for some of us. There are going to be dramatic shifts in the law going forward. And also don't expect me to "look on the bright side" or be optimistic after four years of Trump and the fact that despite the fact that he has fucked up on a COLLOSSAL scale, he still has a shot at being reelected :|

15 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Wouldn't this make Medicare for All the only viable healthcare plan? 

No offense to you personally, but I see people doing this a lot.

No matter how bad you think this is, it's about ten times worse.

Nothing a Democratic Congress/President passes is going to survive the court we are about to have. Nothing

Not only is gay marriage, abortion, Obamacare, and the separation of church and state gone it's possible things that Americans have no conception of living without could be on deck.

Things like Miranda Rights and the right to a public defender are more recent than you might think. Scalia literally mused that under the eighth amendment cruel punishments and unusual punishments are fine because it only forbids cruel AND unusual punishment.

I was just listening to a legal podcast breaking down Barr's recommendation that protesters be charged with sedition recorded a day before RBG died. Wanna know how reassuring that conversation went with the knowledge that John fucking Robert's is now literally a member of the irrelevant left wing of the court?

We really don't know how far this will go once this court gorges itself on all the immediate, current hot button cases. It's likely things we don't even question will now be up for grabs.