Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has a message for liberals who have been saying the 81-year-old should step down while Democratic President Barack Obama is in office so...

I'm not dying on a hill to defend this shit

@chakoo @Jason@mclumber1 Please upvote!

Oh wow I totally got told off by a dead person who died to let a president who has been eroding the country’s laws with help from Barr put someone in who will continue to destroy this country.

:| yeah no fuck her, she still bares responsibility for this. This damage will erode her legacy and she deserves it.

Just now, chakoo said:

Oh wow I totally got told off by a dead person who died to let a president who has been eroding the country’s laws with help from Barr.

:| yeah no fuck her, she still bares responsibility for this. This damage will erode her legacy and she deserves it.

No, it won’t. 

Stop dying on this hill. It’s beneath you all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Oh wow I totally got told off by a dead person who died to let a president who has been eroding the country’s laws with help from Barr put someone in who will continue to destroy this country.

Maybe in Canada this sentence makes sense?

Just now, MarSolo said:

Call me crazy, but getting angry at someone for not retiring sooner seems rather dumb. Like, was RBG supposed to look into her crystal ball in 2014 and see that somehow the fat real estate guy with no legislative experience was somehow going to become President?

Maybe don't bet on your health when you're an 80+ cancer survivor. If not trump it could have been rubio or cruz!

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Call me crazy, but getting angry at someone for not retiring sooner seems rather dumb. Like, was RBG supposed to look into her crystal ball in 2014 and see that somehow the fat real estate guy with no legislative experience was somehow going to become President?

I work in software, I prepare every day that some random person in the future will fart and cause Google Cloud to fail a network call in my cloud services. :p

10 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

she was old af and knew she was full of cancer for like 15 years when Obama started so yeah I'm angry at her

She absolutely should've stepped down when Dems had the Senate and the presidency, but let's be real, the central issue is the absolute dogshit constitutional system we have where an octogenarian guessing wrong about their health for the next four years has the potential to completely shift the balance of power for the next generation

6 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

She absolutely should've stepped down when Dems had the Senate and the presidency, but let's be real, the central issue is the absolute dogshit constitutional system we have where an octogenarian guessing wrong about their health for the next four years has the potential to completely shift the balance of power for the next generation

That's the absolutely fundamental root of the entire problem.

As I said earlier, the notion that the ideological composition of the judiciary -- an institution that is effectively a  "lifetime term of office" -- should even be an electoral consideration represents an irreparable, fatal flaw that practically renders the rest of the political system moot.

24 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Given the length of service for the average SCOTUS appointment, which is actually getting longer as the Federalist Society has pushed the GOP to appoint younger judges at every level of the federal judiciary, Ginsburg should have had the foresight to see that retiring when Obama was POTUS and the Dems has a senate majority was the sensible moment to step down as an 80 year old.

Thats why people were asking her to do it in the op-Ed sections of major papers. There is no upside for the left side of the aisle to her serving however many years she would have left when they could have put somebody in their late 40s/early 50s and kept that seat left leaning for 30 more years.

9 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

At this point, I simply cannot think of any single aspect of the American constitutional framework that isn't fatally compromised in some way simply because it was intended for a political entity that would never grow beyond a white, largely Protestant, male-dominated elite class.

More and more I think that when the history of this period is written a few decades from now, assuming we haven't just cooked ourselves by then, the consensus is going to be that we've been in one uninterrupted political crisis at least since the 2000 election, and everything that's happening now is kind of the late stages of a domino effect that could only have been stopped years before now.

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

More and more I think that when the history of this period is written a few decades from now, assuming we haven't just cooked ourselves by then, the consensus is going to be that we've been in one uninterrupted political crisis at least since the 2000 election, and everything that's happening now is kind of the late stages of a domino effect that could only have been stopped years before now.

I honestly don't believe that it could ever have been stopped with the demographic shift away from a dominantly white Protestant society, and that's only one of the many centrifugal forces spinning things apart.

Apparently if Mark Kelly wins he would possibly be sworn in by November 30th. That makes me think the GOP is going to try and time this out so that confirmation hearing begin in late October and conclude right after the election. Can’t let it drag on too long.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I mean, for a not-insignificant portion of the GOP power elite, Trump's actual re-election just kinda/sorta became irrelevant because their One, True Goal is now VERY much within their reach.  

They literally could not care less if Biden wins if they get a federalist society selection to fill RBGs seat. They would do it even if they knew the result would lose them the election. They know the Dems don’t have the guts to try court packing.

Looking for a silver lining and...nope.  Got nothing.

Best you can hope for is either A.) the conservative supermajority doesn’t last long due to unforeseen retirements/deaths, or B.) people having their ability to get an abortion, marry their partner, change their healthcare system, etc. taken away galvanizes a generational shift in the electorate that installs a more balanced or liberal court down the line.  Neither is much to hang your dreams on.

I sympathize with the sentiment behind a ‘pack the court!’ strategy, but I think it’s short-sighted.  Once you start expanding the court, every new Congress is going to do it, Republican and Democrat, and the whole system will collapse.

Either way, it’s the newest generation that’s going to have to bail us out of this mess now.  The current electorate is not up to the task, methinks.  Here’s to hoping that the youth pull us out of our post-imperial slump.

If and when they do, I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘Remember 2020?’ is their rallying cry.

• Sad 1