Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

The "bright side" is literally the nullification of SCOTUS decisions in Blue states which will inexorably lead to secession/dissolution.

When I was in Barnes & Noble today, the Current Affairs section for new releases featured about three new books whose topic is American secessonist movements of the past and today.  Make no mistake: this is very much a prevalent idea within the realm of political thought.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

idea: noah’s ark but in a huge bunker a couple of miles into the earth 

Never mind, I was thinking you know we put all the animals down there to survive after we blow the world up and then eventually humans evolve back into existence and by then the earth is habitable and they dig out and try again. But then idk what happens if like we put the animals in there and then right away some lions or whatever kill all the monkeys and then nothing ever evolves into humans. 

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Never mind, I was thinking you know we put all the animals down there to survive after we blow the world up and then eventually humans evolve back into existence and by then the earth is habitable and they dig out and try again. But then idk what happens if like we put the animals in there and then right away some lions or whatever kill all the monkeys and then nothing ever evolves into humans. 

1200px-Entrance_to_the_Seed_Vault_%28cro
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Like this with DNA and frozen sperm/eggs

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
2020.09.20-03.47-kayfabenews-5f67799fbd4
WWW.KAYFABENEWS.COM

WWE Hall of Famer and US “President” Donald Jennifer Trump wasted no time in filling the vacant seat in the US Supreme Court, appointing his longtime frenemy...

So an example of Trump's new SCOTUS negotiating with itself will be that somehow all American workers are both indentured servants and independent contractors at the same time.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The "bright side" is literally the nullification of SCOTUS decisions in Blue states which will inexorably lead to secession/dissolution.

When I was in Barnes & Noble today, the Current Affairs section for new releases featured about three new books whose topic is American secessonist movements of the past and today.  Make no mistake: this is very much a prevalent idea within the realm of political thought.

If you wanted to find a pretext to start doing nullification stuff, you could point to any of Trump's recent quotes that make clear that he doesn't consider anything that happens in a blue state to be the president's responsibility to do something about.

• SaysWho? changed the title to RBG dies at 87, the fight over when/if she's replaced begins

I am thinking this is pretty much the end of any ideology of a swing vote on the court or an attempt to find common ground.

While this might seem obvious, I think it is an important point that is worth appreciating fully.

I may be wrong, but I think the last time we had anything truly resembling a swing vote was O'Conner. For all the attention he got for a few high profile cases, Kennedy was a very conservative justice. But they both seemed to understand the importance of some kind of swing vote. That the importance of at least the appearance of one side not always getting their way might override their own personal views.

We can see a clear decline in the idea from O'Conner, Kennedy, and then Roberts the past few years, I think.

Roberts has basically been the most reluctant, foot dragging swing vote imaginable. Not so much concerned about the idea that one side can't win every case as he is that he's worried his court will go down in history as the court that turned SCOTUS into a rubber stamp for the other two branches. And now even that is gone.

Besides just having 5 far right activist judges on the court, I am not sure any of the 5 will have any mind for the value of any consideration for a swing vote.

Like, I find myself wondering what is more disheartening, the fact that a third of the court will have now been personally appointed by Trump, or the fact that Alito and Thomas are so horrible that Gorsuch or Kavanaugh are still probably a better chance for some kind of "swing vote" then they are. Comforting thought that the guy who vowed revenge upon Democrats is probably a more likely mark to give us a slightly less horrible result in some cases than Thomas or Alito.

Without the concern for the court having some kind of middle or concern for precedent, it's all just a conservative candy store now.

For example, despite the fact that Roberts is the one that wrote the scathing dissent in Obergerfell he might have shied away from overturning it for precedent, or for posterity, or because he reasoned it was now a fait accompli.

I don't see where the impulse to do anything but chew it up and spit it out comes from now. They're all personally against it(hell, Roberts is personally against it) so it would take one of them standing up and saying some other principle demands they go against their personal views to save it. They just overruled a 40 year precedent with Abood, so I doubt that is going to hold much weight.

One might hope that they will moderate for the sake of worrying about political blowback. Like how they have always been more interested in gutting Roe than actually overturning it because then that might lead to public outcry when women are back to performing back alley abortions.

But I think that's another case where the court will now change not just in degree, but in kind.

They don't have to worry about political blowback anymore. They got what they have wanted most for the past 5 decades. Now is not the time to worry about political repercussions for them, now is the time to reap the rewards for all the years they did worry about the politics repercussions.

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I hate all people who record videos of themselves in their vehicle. Only slightly less than YouTubers who thumbnail themselves with their mouth agape.

I guess you could say that is the right reaction, wrong way to express it?

I would be lying if I said that a little version of that lady hasn't been screaming in my head for the past 4 days

19 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I guess you could say that is the right reaction, wrong way to express it?

I would be lying if I said that a little version of that lady hasn't been screaming in my head for the past 4 days

Initially my reaction was total cringe and anger for her doing so while driving, plus her super awkward shouting... but I'm with you there... internally I have a little version of that lady in my head, too. I've been going crazy at the sad and unfortunate timing and what could happen.

30 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I am thinking this is pretty much the end of any ideology of a swing vote on the court or an attempt to find common ground.

While this might seem obvious, I think it is an important point that is worth appreciating fully.

I may be wrong, but I think the last time we had anything truly resembling a swing vote was O'Conner. For all the attention he got for a few high profile cases, Kennedy was a very conservative justice. But they both seemed to understand the importance of some kind of swing vote. That the importance of at least the appearance of one side not always getting their way might override their own personal views.

We can see a clear decline in the idea from O'Conner, Kennedy, and then Roberts the past few years, I think.

Roberts has basically been the most reluctant, foot dragging swing vote imaginable. Not so much concerned about the idea that one side can't win every case as he is that he's worried his court will go down in history as the court that turned SCOTUS into a rubber stamp for the other two branches. And now even that is gone.

Besides just having 5 far right activist judges on the court, I am not sure any of the 5 will have any mind for the value of any consideration for a swing vote.

Like, I find myself wondering what is more disheartening, the fact that a third of the court will have now been personally appointed by Trump, or the fact that Alito and Thomas are so horrible that Gorsuch or Kavanaugh are still probably a better chance for some kind of "swing vote" then they are. Comforting thought that the guy who vowed revenge upon Democrats is probably a more likely mark to give us a slightly less horrible result in some cases than Thomas or Alito.

Without the concern for the court having some kind of middle or concern for precedent, it's all just a conservative candy store now.

For example, despite the fact that Roberts is the one that wrote the scathing dissent in Obergerfell he might have shied away from overturning it for precedent, or for posterity, or because he reasoned it was now a fait accompli.

I don't see where the impulse to do anything but chew it up and spit it out comes from now. They're all personally against it(hell, Roberts is personally against it) so it would take one of them standing up and saying some other principle demands they go against their personal views to save it. They just overruled a 40 year precedent with Abood, so I doubt that is going to hold much weight.

One might hope that they will moderate for the sake of worrying about political blowback. Like how they have always been more interested in gutting Roe than actually overturning it because then that might lead to public outcry when women are back to performing back alley abortions.

But I think that's another case where the court will now change not just in degree, but in kind.

They don't have to worry about political blowback anymore. They got what they have wanted most for the past 5 decades. Now is not the time to worry about political repercussions for them, now is the time to reap the rewards for all the years they did worry about the politics repercussions.

The only reason roberts is a swing justice in any sense of the word is because as CJ, when he’s in the majority he decides who writes the opinion for the court. Despite his statements to the contrary, he realizes better than most that the court is a political institution and there are no “balls and strikes” but him slow rolling conservative judicial thought (again, only in some limited cases) to grant “liberal” victories is an apparent “two steps forward, one step back” pattern of his judicial holdings and is more damaging to liberal/left/progressive causes in the long term. I hate to harp on this case but NFIB, despite holding up Obamacare, is probably the most damaging ruling against  congressional power of interstate commerce regulation since the 30’s because CJR wrote the opinion for the court!