Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmmm I didn't realize that was a Christian term.

I think it might be because some Jews may not have a conception of an afterlife? Something to do with that. I'm still not clear on it either. 

My biggest thing was people getting bent out of shape by the mourners at the supreme court singing Amazing Grace. 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmmm I didn't realize that was a Christian term.

It has its origins in Christianity but that’s pretty irrelevant today and people basically just need something to be offended over. I’m pretty certain Ginsburg herself wouldn’t be bothered by this. 

rest-in-peace.jpg
WWW.DICTIONARY.COM

Rest in peace is a common epitaph found on Western gravestones.

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

I think it might be because some Jews may not have a conception of an afterlife? Something to do with that. I'm still not clear on it either. 

My biggest thing was people getting bent out of shape by the mourners at the supreme court singing Amazing Grace. 

Jews believe in an afterlife but not in hell. Instead you're just farther away from god in the afterlife the worse you were.

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

I gloss over his posts a lot of the time when he goes into troll mode. 

Fair. I mean, he did try to play a gotcha on me once because I’m apparently a hypocrite for being pro-choice but believe childhood vaccines should be mandatory. He failed miserably with that one, but between that and a few other posts, I took it that he’s pretty anti-choice. 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Try being a woman through all this. There are twats on this very board who don’t believe I should have the right to control my reproductive system. 

I am wondering what the new balance will be on contraception.

Unlike with some of Thomas's rantings I haven't heard anything specific, but it's like sodomy and blasphemy laws. You really have to wonder if the new normal might be some sort of compromise position if some states push the boundaries.

Thomas did side with the minority in Lawrence.

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

I am wondering what the new balance will be on contraception.

Unlike with some of Thomas's rantings I haven't heard anything specific, but it's like sodomy and blasphemy laws. You really have to wonder if the new normal might be some sort of compromise position if some states push the boundaries.

Thomas did side with the minority in Lawrence.

I don’t want to think they’ll roll back contraception access any more than they already have, but I don’t feel completely safe. 

Because, yeah, I recall reading the dissent in Lawrence. Yikes. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don’t want to think they’ll roll back contraception access any more than they already have, but I don’t feel completely safe. 

Because, yeah, I recall reading the dissent in Lawrence. Yikes. 

Yeah, and Lawrence was predicated on the right to privacy from Roe. So FSM knows how many fucking cases could fall when they take that one down.

8 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Don't forget Christian.

They are desperate to codify their privilege before Nones overtake them

If the Dems had any balls (they don't) and won big they should launch a review of all Federal judges and analyze how they rule. Those that extend beyond the construct of the constitution all get impeachment trials. 

If you're wondering how The Lincoln Project is reacting to the Supreme Court fight (because I'd think most of us wondered if they'll stay quiet on this because they'd like conservative justices), here's what we have so far (Conway being former):

Kristol:

Conway:

The Lincoln Project itself:

Steve Schimdt:

Rick Wilson:

He also retweeted Cruz debating with himself about it.

Conway did what I figured, but I'm actually a little surprised at the rest; I thought they'd just avoid it altogether.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:11 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

The only one of these three that I even come CLOSE to expecting to stand on principle is Romney. Murkowski and Collins? :lol:

I hope you feel silly now! :p 

Not that it matters: I'm sure they just map out which ones can vote no so they get just enough votes to get things through (like Kavanaugh). Except maybe Murkowski; she's conservative, but some of the big votes on health care and two justices have been in the negative.

20 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

If the Dems had any balls (they don't) and won big they should launch a review of all Federal judges and analyze how they rule. Those that extend beyond the construct of the constitution all get impeachment trials. 

I was hesitant to do this or packing the courts, but at this point it's either do that or concede the game really.

I don't like the chaos it could lead to, but at this point it's like having terminal cancer and worrying about chemo side effects.

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Romney just came out in favor of confirming a justice this year. 

So much for my bodily autonomy. 

Collins coming out so quickly makes me really suspect there will be no more whittling away at the edges this time.

Collins has always been defensive about being seen as the one to facilitate the court being able to kill Roe. 

Her coming out so quickly makes me think that from her perch as an insider she knows they got the votes now too.

What if instead of court packing or surprise impeachments to block a vote or whatever else stupid shit they come up with... what if instead of that, we just get like 500,000 people to all go to Washington DC and we just burn the entire city to the ground? That might send a message.

The ridiculousness of the party that's actually the minority in this country being in charge of like fucking everything because of the electoral collage and power of the senate which equalizes all states is an ongoing joke. We need to change this or nothing will ever change.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Thomas is the only surefire vote to overturn Roe. I actually think it continues to be unlikely that it will be overturned.

I doubt we get a wholesale repeal of roe immediately. You’re going to see a chipping away of the ability to access abortions by regulatory action and other such things. In fact I think state laws that ban abortion or completely repeal the roe decision, for the time being, will be struck down, but laws that effectively shut it down will stand. So more laws like doctors must have admitting privileges at all hospitals within 15 miles of a crisis pregnancy center, or that specific outpatient procedures (such as early first trimester abortions via pill) must occur at licensed medical facilities. 

of course violation of these laws will no doubt carry a harsh penalty for patients nurses and doctors involved but the majority will just gloss over that. But the bad faith statement of “roe isn’t getting overturned!” Will technically be true, like that matters. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I doubt we get a wholesale repeal of roe immediately. You’re going to see a chipping away of the ability to access abortions by regulatory action and other such things. In fact I think state laws that ban abortion or completely repeal the roe decision, for the time being, will be struck down, but laws that effectively shut it down will stand. So more laws like doctors must have admitting privileges at all hospitals within 15 miles of a crisis pregnancy center, or that specific outpatient procedures (such as early first trimester abortions via pill) must occur at licensed medical facilities. 

of course violation of these laws will no doubt carry a harsh penalty for patients nurses and doctors involved but the majority will just gloss over that. But the bad faith statement of “roe isn’t getting overturned!” Will technically be true, like that matters. 

I dunno, I think we are past that.

They don't just want it to be functionally dead, they want the scalp.