Jon Stewart returning as The Daily Show host (Begins 2/12/24)

GIF = "Graphics Interchange Format". When "graphics" is pronounced like "jraffics", people who claim it's pronounced like "jiff" will have a leg to stand on. Until then: :talkhand: :p

Anyway... Can't wait to see him back in action! 

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 4
  • Sicko Sherman 1

34 minutes ago, Nokra said:

GIF = "Graphics Interchange Format". When "graphics" is pronounced like "jraffics", people who claim it's pronounced like "jiff" will have a leg to stand on. Until then: :talkhand: :p

Anyway... Can't wait to see him back in action! 

GIF is an acronym though, not an initialism. Acronyms are pronounced phonetically according to the new word that is created, not by the letters that created the acronym. This is why NASA is pronounced Nah-saw and not Nay-saw, even though the first A in the world is long in Aeronautics, not short. As the letter G can be hard or soft, the acronym pronunciation for GIF is correct either way. So it's just a matter of what people accept as the correct version. It's like how other words have multiple accepted pronunciations depending on locations, etc (toMAYto vs toMAHto).

EDIT - An even better example is LASER, which we pronounce as Lay-Zer despite there being no Z in the word. If we followed the rule of using the initial's pronunciation rather than accepting the word as a new acronym, then we should say Lay-sser.

EDIT2 - Or JPEG. It should be jay-fegg since Photograph has an f sound, if we used that rule.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is why NASA is pronounced Nah-saw

Good god, who says "saw" for the SA part? :p 

Anyway, whether it's an initialism or not doesn't actually matter, because if it were an initialism it would mean you'd pronounce each letter individually and has nothing to do with the phonetic sound made (ie: C.I.A., not "seeya"). In JPEG you don't use a "Ph" sound because there's no H to cause it after the P in the acronym: if it were JPhEG, sure, as it's the combination that makes the f sound, but that sounds kinda dirty. Regardless, I agree that both GIF and JIF are correct as there's no actual rule with the hard vs soft G and when it's used or isn't (there's rules for when it can be used but they aren't constants like with ph sounding like an F), and people who actually bitch about when someone else says their non-preferred way are the absolute worst people on the planet, so I always take the opportunity to annoy them. :p 

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Good god, who says "saw" for the SA part? :p 

Anyway, whether it's an initialism or not doesn't actually matter, because if it were an initialism it would mean you'd pronounce each letter individually and has nothing to do with the phonetic sound made (ie: C.I.A., not "seeya"). In JPEG you don't use a "Ph" sound because there's no H to cause it after the P in the acronym: if it were JPhEG, sure, as it's the combination that makes the f sound, but that sounds kinda dirty. Regardless, I agree that both GIF and JIF are correct as there's no actual rule with the hard vs soft G and when it's used or isn't (there's rules for when it can be used but they aren't constants like with ph sounding like an F), and people who actually bitch about when someone else says their non-preferred way are the absolute worst people on the planet, so I always take the opportunity to annoy them. :p 

The real debate is what a gas pedal should be called in an EV:

• accelerator
  • go pedal

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The real debate is what a gas pedal should be called in an EV:

• accelerator
  • go pedal

The original name was "throttle", then "accelerator" and "gas pedal" became common. So, we should just call it "musk face"

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The original name was "throttle", then "accelerator" and "gas pedal" became common. So, we should just call it "musk face"

Given how they burn, perhaps we should call the petal the "Ignition primer":daydream:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

How do you people pronounce "gel"? 

How do you pronounce "gift"? 

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So I can step on the "Musk face"? I would love to. 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

As the letter G can be hard or soft, the acronym pronunciation for GIF is correct either way.

It's not correct either way, it's just that the soft G crowd decided to get together and be wrong.

And when the creator of GIFs came out and corrected them, they turned into the mental equivalent of an election denier.

ok I should have known better that my comment would derail the thread, my apologies to @Spork3245. :blush: Let's get this back on track, please. :p

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I appreciated this video, thanks. I was wondering why he was only doing Mondays on the Daily Show. 

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

ok I should have known better that my comment would derail the thread, my apologies to @Spork3245. :blush: Let's get this back on track, please. :p

I appreciated this video, thanks. I was wondering why he was only doing Mondays on the Daily Show. 

Oh, I never care about derailments unless it’s something serious :p 

^ I hope he brings the weekly podcast he was doing during the AppleTV show back alongside his TDS Mondays :daydream:

So Donald Trump for months has been promising to be a literal dictator and the best they can do is a "both sides is crazy" segment on how old the candidates are? This is just the first week back, so maybe they have more planned to say what the media has failed to say within the couple of weeks, but so far I'm not left with much hope.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

48 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

"both sides is crazy"

That’s not what I took from that segment, like, at all. I took a “yea, Biden is old, it’s a valid criticism and they need to do a better job of lessening fears regarding his state, but jfc Trump’s mental state is somewhere between mayo left in the sun and a teddy ruxpin”.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

59 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s not what I took from that segment, like, at all. I took a “yea, Biden is old, it’s a valid criticism and they need to do a better job of lessening fears regarding his state, but jfc Trump’s mental state is somewhere between mayo left in the sun and a teddy ruxpin”.

HEY! You Leave Teddy Ruzpin out of that comparison. At least my talking TR could read me a coherent sentence/story, unlike Mr. Cheeto. Although I agree with the Mayo reference 

11 minutes ago, silentbob said:

HEY! You Leave Teddy Ruzpin out of that comparison. At least my talking TR could read me a coherent sentence/story, unlike Mr. Cheeto. Although I agree with the Mayo reference 

FWIW, TR is the higher bar of the two of which Trump is still not reaching :p 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW, TR is the higher bar of the two of which Trump is still not reaching :p 

Hey! You keep my Teddy out your goddamn mouth!

But anyway great return and I definitely didn’t get a both sides vibe, Biden’s age would be a major point for me if he wasn’t running against a Batman villain but this is the timeline the cultist losers gave us so.

It's a little bit of both-sidesism, which, if I'm being honest when the polls are this razer tight, should we really be taking shots at the only person standing in the way of "The Return of Voldemort", as they said?

I don't know, they're valid criticisms so it's hard to disagree, but I'm not sure whatever objective he's trying to achieve is the best one to pursue at this exact moment.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Reputator said:

It's a little bit of both-sidesism, which, if I'm being honest when the polls are this razer tight, should we really be taking shots at the only person standing in the way of "The Return of Voldemort", as they said?

I don't know, they're valid criticisms so it's hard to disagree, but I'm not sure whatever objective he's trying to achieve is the best one to pursue at this exact moment.

I think being in denial about valid criticisms only hurts. Being honest about them with a “yes, but” is more effective IMO, and that’s how I took the segment.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

9 hours ago, Reputator said:

should we really be taking shots at the only person standing in the way of "The Return of Voldemort",

Yeah this definitely seems to be the biggest issue many on the left had with Jon’s segment. It’s not that he’s wrong. It’s the opposite and he shouldn’t help feed the right who might ignore everything he said about Trump and clip only the Biden criticisms. 

Trump is dar worse, but it’s messed up Democrats aren’t crafting a better image of Biden with Biden. Show don’t tell. You know, if he is really sharp as a tack, energetic, and supper in control of the room at all times. And better they hear it now in February than not figure it out until Oct. If Democrats cant handle even this level of truth and feedback from their own political side, theyre going to lose in November. 

• True 1