Jon Stewart returning as The Daily Show host (Begins 2/12/24)

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah this definitely seems to be the biggest issue many on the left had with Jon’s segment. It’s not that he’s wrong. It’s the opposite and he shouldn’t help feed the right who might ignore everything he said about Trump and clip only the Biden criticisms. 

Trump is dar worse, but it’s messed up Democrats aren’t crafting a better image of Biden with Biden. Show don’t tell. You know, if he is really sharp as a tack, energetic, and supper in control of the room at all times. And better they hear it now in February than not figure it out until Oct. If Democrats cant handle even this level of truth and feedback from their own political side, theyre going to lose in November. 

This is exactly what Stewart was stating.

• Halal 2

I watched this since I got trashed for saying I didn't like him. 

I enjoyed it and laughed. Especially with the bit where Trump couldn't remember he said he has the best memory ever or something. I laughed out loud in how Stewart presented that. 

• Halal 1

I think the way Stewart thread the needle was the best option. There are a lot of people unhappy with Biden. I think it’s good to acknowledge his shortcomings while pointing out, he is still the best option. I think if you gloss over all of Biden’s fault, you will lose people. 

Also he didn’t say anything that the right hasn’t said before. Instead he took those talking points, agreed with them, but then showed how applicable they are to Trump as well. 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I watched this since I got trashed for saying I didn't like him. 

I enjoyed it and laughed. Especially with the bit where Trump couldn't remember he said he has the best memory ever or something. I laughed out loud in how Stewart presented that. 

Now watch this one:

• Haha 3
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I think the way Stewart thread the needle was the best option. There are a lot of people unhappy with Biden. I think it’s good to acknowledge his shortcomings while pointing out, he is still the best option. I think if you gloss over all of Biden’s fault, you will lose people. 

Also he didn’t say anything that the right hasn’t said before. Instead he took those talking points, agreed with them, but then showed how applicable they are to Trump as well. 

This is spot on. I was happy to see he was pretty fair with his jokes/criticisms with Biden and Trump. That changed my opinion on him. I think I actually like this guy now. 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

This is exactly what Stewart was stating.

Yes, thats what I meant to convey. Stewart isnt saying anything he shouldnt and if Democrats and the left just burry their head in the sand and try to act like “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain” then there’s a good chance they could lose to somebody much worse and much more pathological. 

• True 3
  • Halal 2

12 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I keep seeing people getting mad at Stewart and like Ezra Klein just wrote a new article that ruffled a lot of feathers, and the general sentiment is like "you're not helping!" 

It's pathetic. 

FWIW, Ezra Klein is generally not worth paying any attention to, in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I keep seeing people getting mad at Stewart and like Ezra Klein just wrote a new article that ruffled a lot of feathers, and the general sentiment is like "you're not helping!" 

It's pathetic. 

People who think Stewart is a blind liberal that won’t put out criticisms of how dems can do better have either never watched him as host on TDS or have extreme memory issues. He buried the DNC chair in 2010 during a TDS interview pre-mid terms because of what a shit job the chairman was doing (their whole campaign was “don’t give them the keys back!” in regards to GOP taking the house/senate and he was trying to give Stewart some keychain with the saying on it).

• Halal 1

I wouldn't go so far as to call John Stewart a "Piece of shit" but I'm not his biggest fan either. Used to like him, but he's become a typical bitter old man, complaining about wokeism and his whole "both sides are equally bad" stance he seems to have taken recently. He's basically become Bill Maher except Stewart is actually funny and KNOWS better. Sad...

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wouldn't go so far as to call John Stewart a "Piece of shit" but I'm not his biggest fan either. Used to like him, but he's become a typical bitter old man, complaining about wokeism and his whole "both sides are equally bad" stance he seems to have taken recently. He's basically become Bill Maher except Stewart is actually funny and KNOWS better. Sad...

I already said calling him a pos was way too far. After seeing some recent clips of him on here I don't mind him as much. 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@best3444 @TUFKAK

This has always been my favorite TDS segment.

I've definitely never understood how scaring the shit out of people with a fucking siren is better than a guy grunting a bit. Imagine that thing going off and startling you mid-lift.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:21 AM, Kamusha said:

So Donald Trump for months has been promising to be a literal dictator and the best they can do is a "both sides is crazy" segment on how old the candidates are? This is just the first week back, so maybe they have more planned to say what the media has failed to say within the couple of weeks, but so far I'm not left with much hope.

This was exactly what I thought. He should have stayed gone, I'm not supporting more liberals making it so liberals stay home and hand Trump the election. 

On 2/18/2024 at 12:47 PM, Spork3245 said:

What? When?

I think he’s made voiced some vague “concerns” about censorship and the like when Chappelle was being criticized for antisemitism. I don’t think he literally said he was concerned about “cancel culture going too far” but he was voicing similar complaints. Comedians in general are at no real risk of being censored and Chappelle is certainly less so than almost anyone else in comedy, so that objection specifically is weak. 

I don’t think Stewart engages in the kind of shitty bothsidesisms that, say, South Park did with the giant douche vs turd sandwich stupidity. But you know, the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear was a thing and he went in Maddow afterward and I believe literally said that both sides have ways to shut down debate… so I don’t think it’s super surprising that Stewart occasionally gets this rep. 

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think he’s made voiced some vague “concerns” about censorship and the like when Chappelle was being criticized for antisemitism. I don’t think he literally said he was concerned about “cancel culture going too far” but he was voicing similar complaints. Comedians in general are at no real risk of being censored and Chappelle is certainly less so than almost anyone else in comedy, so that objection specifically is weak. 

That takes a pretty big leap in logic to get to “he’s the same as Bill Maher” and/or is “anti-woke”.

• Halal 2

I don't know how anyone could have seen his segment from last week and took away "he's just both-sidesing it." He clearly said multiple times Trump is worse, but when we get so far up our own asses that we can't even criticize Biden, maybe that's a problem, too.

I can say that I will 100% vote Democrat in November but also say that they kind of suck sometimes. That's not both-sidesing.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

So looks like Paramount+ is putting this up at 10 PM Pacific, which is okay but seems like they could just put it up at 9 when it's done airing east coast if they're not going to wait for the west coast airing before putting it up. Too bad it looks like the torrent sites aren't staying up to date on the show, I'd probably be able to be watching by 9:30 if they did.