Jon Stewart returning as The Daily Show host (Begins 2/12/24)

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

At this point, I simply have no idea which choir Jon Stewart (and John Oliver) could possibly be preaching to other than the same largely white, well-educated, relatively economically secure, liberal audience that's been with them all along.

That's certainly no fault of their own, but I suppose I just don't see what larger difference it makes (if it should make one at all).

What you can't imagine the on the fence voter who watches the first episode of John Stewart's new daily show and realizes that Joe Biden is old and decides they will vote trump now and enough of them do this that it changes the election and then Steward is responsible for the downfall of the country? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

What you can't imagine the on the fence voter who watches the first episode of John Stewart's new daily show and realizes that Joe Biden is old and decides they will vote trump now and enough of them do this that it changes the election and then Steward is responsible for the downfall of the country? 

I don't believe that there's a single bloody "on-the-fence voter" in the entirety of Jon Stewart's audience!

If you're a Jon Stewart viewer, you're voting for Biden, even if he was a reanimated desiccated corpse by the time of the election.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

“These two candidates, [Trump and Joe Biden] are both similarly challenged. And it is not crazy to think that the oldest people in the history of the country to ever run for president might have some of these challenges … We’re not suggesting neither man is vibrant, productive or even capable. But they’re both stretching the limits of being able to handle the toughest job in the world.”

This is the shit I'm annoyed with. Biden has issues with memory, but to suggest they are similarly challenged is just not factually true. The criticism against Biden is true but Trump has many perceived mental illnesses on top of potentially having dementia. Hell, he's even developing a messiah complex now by openly declaring himself to be created by God to be America's caretaker. But sure, similarly challenged.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

What is John Stewart's responsibility? 

I meant it as "responsibility for what we say" not as "bigger societal"

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

We're not because you're making similar arguments conservatives made against him in 2009. Then, it was, 'Oh, I KNEW he wouldn't go after Obama as much as Bush.' Yours is, "Now's not the time to do both sides this.' 

His point isn't that he's above any criticism for being a comedian; his point is people are assigning the same importance to him as they do news organizations. Even you did it:

As he said in a Chris Wallace interview in I want to say 2011, at Stewart's best, what should Jon be, and at Wallace's best, what should Chris be? If you think at their best they should be achieving the same thing, I'd say you're dead wrong. I expect any Fox host, CNN host, broadcast news nightly news host, to be a paradigm of journalism. I expect Jon to do whatever he thinks is funny. 

If we're this aggravated at Jon because the fate of the nation comes down to his once-a-week segments and how they're framed, then we're missing the forest for the trees by light years.

We know Fox/Newsmax/etc are no more a news org than the daily show today. I'm not saying WHAT THEY SHOULD BE. 

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think he's going to convince disgruntled leftists to not vote at all because it all sucks anyway maaaaan

8 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think he's going to convince disgruntled leftists to not vote at all because it all sucks anyway maaaaan

There isn't a single "leftist" in Jon Stewart's main demographic audience.

No avowed, self-described "leftist" would give a damn what Jon Stewart has to say about anything.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

We know Fox/Newsmax/etc is no more a news org than the daily show today. I'm not saying WHAT THEY SHOULD BE. 

We're putting fewer expectations on Fox News than Jon Stewart. That's a problem. You are saying what he should be in a roundabout way or else his segments wouldn't be that much of a concern.

All this energy expended on Stewart could have been used to register voters.

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

No we've given up on Fox News. We have no power to influence them ever. 

You're again missing the forest for the trees.

Ignore the Fox News portion and focus on any other news organization. You're putting the same expectations on them as you are the Daily Show. At its best, it shouldn't be in the same league as a good news organization.

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

ok liberals haha

Liberals are way more likely than leftists to be party ticket voters. Most leftists I know watch weird less mainstream stuff.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I meant it as "responsibility for what we say" not as "bigger societal"

But this implies he has some kind of responsibility to get someone elected over another in the first place. He doesn't. And as we poked at above you are assigning way more power to the man than he actually has anyway. 

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

We know Fox/Newsmax/etc is no more a news org than the daily show today. I'm not saying WHAT THEY SHOULD BE. 

But they proport to be. Stewart doesn't. That's the difference. As he covered what like two decades ago with his brilliant response to Tucker's same accusation. About the show before him being puppets who make prank phone calls. 

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Liberals need to get over their obsession with leftists. John Stewart cannot be both nearly a right wing anti woke proponent and also a guy who will convince the far left to not vote. 

• True 1

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

20 years after that Crossfire interview and subsequent explanations, we're still not getting his point, huh?

Nobody rational is looking for Stewart to solve the world's political problems and while he is, literally, a comedian, he's also a pundit. It's silly for anyone, particularly him, to pretend otherwise. He's very clearly not "just a comedian" when he's holding a political rally, going to Congress to advocate for taking care of 9/11 first responders, etc. More than one thing can be true and if we're aiming the DeLorean all the way back to the Crossfire appearance era... Stewart was interviewing presidential candidates on The Daily Show, lobbing softballs at John Kerry. In later elections he was giving airtime to Huckabee. It was always silly for Stewart to say he's just a comedian or that TDS was just a comedy show when you're interviewing POTUS candidates.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

But this implies he has some kind of responsibility to get someone elected over another in the first place. He doesn't. And as we poked at above you are assigning way more power to the man than he actually has anyway. 

But they proport to be. Stewart doesn't. That's the difference. As he covered what like two decades ago with his brilliant response to Tucker's same accusation. About the show before him being puppets who make prank phone calls. 

Yes, obviously, an ostensible news outfit should be held to a higher standard than Comedy Central. Fucking of course. But if Stewart's responsibility is to be funny, then the shots he's taking at Biden for being old should... be funny.

• Halal 1

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Yes, obviously, an ostensible news outfit should be held to a higher standard than Comedy Central. Fucking of course. But if Stewart's responsibility is to be funny, then the shots he's taking at Biden for being old should... be funny.

This is a fair criticism! But it's a Comedy Central program that is hit and miss like any comedy show. And if you don't like Stewart's schtick then it's unlikely you're gonna find much genius in ANY of his shows. He does the same shit every time. I happen to get a kick out of it. Understand how many people don't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Nobody rational is looking for Stewart to solve the world's political problems and while he is, literally, a comedian, he's also a pundit. It's silly for anyone, particularly him, to pretend otherwise. He's very clearly not "just a comedian" when he's holding a political rally, going to Congress to advocate for taking care of 9/11 first responders, etc. More than one thing can be true and if we're aiming the DeLorean all the way back to the Crossfire appearance era... Stewart was interviewing presidential candidates on The Daily Show, lobbing softballs at John Kerry. In later elections he was giving airtime to Huckabee. It was always silly for Stewart to say he's just a comedian or that TDS was just a comedy show when you're interviewing POTUS candidates.

It was never silly because late night comedy shows have been doing that for a long time.

When he's going to Congress, he's an activist. Being funny is peripheral. When he's on the Daily Show, he's being funny. It doesn't matter that he talks about current events because that's what comedians do. It's not like George Carlin was nothing but fart jokes (though he did a good job when he told them).

The silliness comes is the amount of energy expended on this instead of doing something white liberals don't do enough: organize, register voters, and get off their fucking asses.

I watched The Daily Show the night Trump announced his candidacy in 2015 and he was literally celebrating because he thought it would be good for comedy. He was wrong about Trump before and he's downplaying the threat of a second term now. This segment will not age well just like that episode from 2015 did not age well.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I watched The Daily Show the night Trump announced his candidacy in 2015 and he was literally celebrating because he thought it would be good for comedy. He was wrong about Trump before and he's downplaying the threat of a second term now. This segment will not age well just like that episode from 2015 did not age well.

It's nice to have scapegoats I guess

• True 1

You will simply never convince me that the irrelevant has-been Jon Stewart making terribly unfunny and unoriginal jokes about Biden's advanced age will make a lick of difference come November to his reliably liberal audience when there are plenty of other, vastly more important factors in places like Michigan and Nevada that seriously threaten his re-election.

And those people sure as hell don't watch Jon Stewart.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You correctly referenced "liberals" as being those who Stewart could potentially "convince" to not vote for Biden when I commented that no true "leftist" would be watching his show in the first place.

Eh, I've kept up with the new segments just because I grew up watching Stewart and I was kinda curious about how he would handle discussing the election. Turns out... not well! But I did like the segment he did on Tucker Carlson. He's at his best with targeting right wing media I think.

• Halal 1

I just don't think the media is doing a good about warning the public about how dangerous Trump and the MAGA movement have become. The average American is not aware that Trump is promising to be a literal dictator. It's negligence on the media's part to not be talking about this more, and yes, Jon Stewart is part of the media. Everyone with a platform has a duty to be speaking out.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It was mainly "bad" because it wasn't especially interesting.

People expect amazing things from Stewart because he was a lot of people's first look at deconstructing the news/GOP talking points back in a time when it wasn't trivial to just log onto the internet and find someone doing that. Bad Jon Stewart is usually Stewart getting self-indulgent like it's the good ol' days where nobody else is doing what he does.

Also where the "I'm just a comedian" stuff came in. He's right, but he was doing a public service for a long tome so people held/hold him to a higher standard.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I don't agree with this. 

So the Republican party is dehumanizing trans people and using the same rhetoric that Nazis used against queer people and you think people shouldn't be speaking out? Trump has an associate who is promising a second holocaust if Trump is elected and you think people shouldn't be speaking out? Project 2025's plan includes jailing librarians as sex offender for carrying books featuring queer characters and you don't think people should be speaking out?

It's fine if you believe that, but that's an indefensible position and it's not worth debating someone who clearly doesn't . If you wanna continue telling someone who is part of a group being targeted by a fascist party how to feel about this then go right ahead, but history will not on your side.

The funny thing is, all of this will be documented so if fascism comes and trans people die then everything is here. Everyone who liked one of @Paperclyp's posts will now be linked to supporting a user who told a trans person that Jon Stewart should not speak out against fascism. @best3444 @Ominous @CastlevaniaNut18 you are now on the record for supporting the posts of a user who is arguing that public figures should not be speaking out against fascism. Please recant this user's terrible position. If you are a true an ally now is not the time to be silent. Now is the time to stand up with trans people, not agree with those who try to argue that Jon Stewart shouldn't speak out against the dangers we face.

4 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Stewart laughed and said “I’m still not staying” as that happened a few weeks after he announced his departure from TDS. Literally every comedian celebrated Trump’s candidacy: John Oliver encouraged it, Colbert gave Trump a kids glove BS interview.

Anyway, the idea that Stewart can influence elections is kind of insane to me. Bush wouldn’t have gotten a second term and Dems would’ve kept the house and senate during Obama if that accusation had truth. Regardless, telling dems to “do better” regarding lessening talking points of the age issue is hardly both sidesing or the huge deal some are making it out to be.

• Like 1

I have blocked Paperclyp because I refuse to debate someone who argues that those with a platform should not be warning Americans about fascism. What an awful, awful, position. I'm ashamed to have participated in a conversation with someone who  argues for silence as the right uses genocidal language against queer people.

13 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

So the Republican party is dehumanizing trans people and using the same rhetoric that Nazis used against queer people and you think people shouldn't be speaking out? Trump has an associate who is promising a second holocaust if Trump is elected and you think people shouldn't be speaking out? Project 2025's plan includes jailing librarians as sex offender for carrying books featuring queer characters and you don't think people should be speaking out?

It's fine if you believe that, but that's an indefensible position and it's not worth debating someone who clearly doesn't . If you wanna continue telling someone who is part of a group being targeted by a fascist party how to feel about this then go right ahead, but history will not on your side.

The funny thing is, all of this will be documented so if fascism comes and trans people die then everything is here. Everyone who liked one of @Paperclyp's posts will now be linked to supporting a user who told a trans person that Jon Stewart should not speak out against fascism. @best3444 @Ominous @CastlevaniaNut18 you are now on the record for supporting the posts of a user who is arguing that public figures should not be speaking out against fascism. Please recant this user's terrible position. If you are a true an ally now is not the time to be silent. Now is the time to stand up with trans people, not agree with those who try to argue that Jon Stewart shouldn't speak out against the dangers we face.

I think all of this is a really a stretch. 

12 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I don’t think Paperclyp’s disagreement has to do with condemning trans people nor supporting facism/Trump. 

And, for the record, Stewart’s episode of The Problem regarding Trans rights was absolutely phenomenal and his interview where he obliterated the Arkansas AG over their stance on gender affirming care was even better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t think Paperclyp’s disagreement has to do with condemning trans people nor supporting facism/Trump. 

And, for the record, Stewart’s episode of The Problem regarding Trans rights was absolutely phenomenal and his interview where he obliterated the Arkansas AG over their stance on gender affirming care was even better.

No, he is saying that those with a platform don't have a duty to warn America about how dangerous the Republican party has become. And who does the Republican party threaten the most? Trans people. So he is arguing that Stewart shouldn't have to warn America about a dangerous party that is threatening the lives of queer people.

And I did see that episode and thought it was good. That why I was disappointed by last week's episode, because I expected more from Stewart after seeing his trans episode.

5 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

No it is not. Why are you defending someone who is arguing for silence when trans people's lives are being threatened by the rise of fascism?

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, this right here, really. 

I’ve been sick and I’m wiped out, so I don’t really have the fortitude to argue a bunch here today. Other people have said it better than I could right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kamusha said:

No, he is saying that those with a platform don't have a duty to warn America about how dangerous the Republican party has become. And who does the Republican party threaten the most? Trans people. So he is arguing that Stewart shouldn't have to warn America about a dangerous party that is threatening the lives of queer people.

I believe Paperclyp is saying that every moment/episode of someone with a platform doesn’t need to be used to speak out. At least, that’s how I took it. Stewart’s had 2 episodes out of what should be a 32-40 episode run for him, and there’s a lot to talk about. 

• Like 1

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, this right here, really. 

I’ve been sick and I’m wiped out, so I don’t really have the fortitude to argue a bunch here today. Other people have said it better than I could right now. 

No, not really, you are defending a user who is arguing that those with a platform do not have the duty to warn America about how dangerous the Republican party is. Look, as a trans person in Florida I'm used to everyone being against me and telling me I'm wrong. I'm used to not being taken seriously. None of this is new. But fascism will be coming at the end of this year and soon I will be validated. I won't feel good about being right here, but hopefully those who are arguing with me now will realize how wrong they were when my life is in danger.