Jon Stewart returning as The Daily Show host (Begins 2/12/24)

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't know how anyone could have seen his segment from last week and took away "he's just both-sidesing it." He clearly said multiple times Trump is worse, but when we get so far up our own asses that we can't even criticize Biden, maybe that's a problem, too.

I can say that I will 100% vote Democrat in November but also say that they kind of suck sometimes. That's not both-sidesing.

Yea, that’s the thing, he’s always criticized Dems, always, but it’s not even close to the same way he criticizes Republicans. If you think “if you offer any criticism about both sides, you’re both sidesing it!” then, like… I guess? However, you really have to ignore what he’s actually saying to get to that conclusion, IMO, as Stewart has always been incredibly clear that “while both sides suck, one side sucks SO much worse and only one side is actually dangerous”. “Yes, but” has been his way of making points since he took over from Kilborn.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Gavin King said:

The planet fitness siren is a real thing, I thought it was a bit. Wtf!?

Not only is it real, the buttons are throughout the “gym” and members can hit them when they “see/hear something”. A friend of mine used to have his “back up” gym membership at a planet fitness because it’s 5 minutes from him and his main gym is like 25 minutes away; some lady ran over and hit one of the buttons because when he put the dumbbells back on a metal rack, the sound of metal tapping metal made a slight “clack” and he was “warned” by the people that work there. :lol: 

On 2/18/2024 at 1:47 PM, Jason said:

I've definitely never understood how scaring the shit out of people with a fucking siren is better than a guy grunting a bit. Imagine that thing going off and startling you mid-lift.

First mistake was thinking people at PF lift. 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Not only is it real, the buttons are throughout the “gym” and members can hit them when they “see/hear something”. A friend of mine used to have his “back up” gym membership at a planet fitness because it’s 5 minutes from him and his main gym is like 25 minutes away; some lady ran over and hit one of the buttons because when he put the dumbbells back on a metal rack, the sound of metal tapping metal made a slight “clack” and he was “warned” by the people that work there. :lol: 

I say I shred up again, wear a pride stringer and just lift on the machines at low weight to see if they kick me out. Go viral, say they kicked me out over my “identity” then get paid.

Truly happy he's back, wish he hadn't ever left, yet the passionate work he did while away helped a lot of others & brought a voice to key issues. Between both John's (Stewart & Oliver) as well as Maher, I'm so happy to have this trio through the chaotic slog of an election we're doomed to see through this year.

9 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Truly happy he's back, wish he hadn't ever left, yet the passionate work he did while away helped a lot of others & brought a voice to key issues. Between both John's (Stewart & Oliver) as well as Maher, I'm so happy to have this trio through the chaotic slog of an election we're doomed to see through this year.

But Bill Maher is absolutely terrible.

• Wrong 1

Just now, best3444 said:

I think Maher is completely full of himself but I do enjoy an occasional interview from him on his show. He just is very arrogant and bull headed. 

All true. But more importantly, the problem is he's often wrong, biased on a number of issues, and is a pseudo-intellectual who thinks he's some amazing political philosopher when he frequently is on the wrong side of a policy issue. And he's only gotten worse as he's gotten older. People should stop listening to what he has to say.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

All true. But more importantly, the problem is he's often wrong, biased on a number of issues, and is a pseudo-intellectual who thinks he's some amazing political philosopher when he frequently is on the wrong side of a policy issue. And he's only gotten worse as he's gotten older. People should stop listening to what he has to say.

Absolutely. He lives in his own world. Pretty delusional tbh but sometimes I find that comical to watch. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, that’s the thing, he’s always criticized Dems, always, but it’s not even close to the same way he criticizes Republicans. If you think “if you offer any criticism about both sides, you’re both sidesing it!” then, like… I guess? However, you really have to ignore what he’s actually saying to get to that conclusion, IMO, as Stewart has always been incredibly clear that “while both sides suck, one side sucks SO much worse and only one side is actually dangerous”. “Yes, but” has been his way of making points since he took over from Kilborn.

I feel like the both-sides argument for that particular episode stems from just pure time spent. I'm pretty sure that his language around Trump was far more harsh, but I'm pretty sure he spent more time talking about Biden and why it's fair to criticize him for being old or whatever, as if it's not the most common Biden talking point. I didn't love or hate the episode, but I don't really feel like Stewart brought anything new to the discussion. I agree with Jon that it's perfectly fair to be concerned and to criticize Biden for his age, but I feel like the age talk has been over saturated at this point.

The same night during his opening monologue Colbert addressed the age thing much more briefly and (to my mind at least) effectively. He said "We are where we are. Unless something drastic happens it's Biden vs Trump. Voters are just going to have to choose between a sympathetic, well meaning, elderly old man with a poor memory, or a contemptible, malicious, elderly rapist with a poor memory."

WWW.WBUR.ORG

Jon Stewart remains devoted to a lazy brand of false equivalency in which all political candidates are suspect, writes Steve Almond. But the political fate of this country isn’t a joke.

I agree with a lot of this and it helps to pinpoint why many felt last week's segment was tone-death. Stewart can't return for this election with the same tone he's used on previous elections and expect it to work. The stakes are way too high this time around and acting like this is just another election does not ring true for those paying attention.

• True 1
  • Halal 4

Nah that piece goes way too hard. I feel some people won't be happy unless Stewart dedicates a segment of his time to propping up Biden. That's never been his show nor his style. The criticisms he offered of Biden in his first show back were and are valid. He also clearly laid out the differences between the criticisms people make of both Biden and Trump and why the choice is obvious. If anything, he's educating the uninitiated on the republican strategy and talking points and why they're weak shit.

Also, people shouldn't treat the situation like Stewart's humor and insight alone are going to save us from Trump.

ETA

Actually all we need to do is read this line from that piece:

He knows that America’s moral and political decline is a tragedy. He just won't say so out loud.

Is that a fucking joke? This author isn't listening to anything Stewart is actually saying. They're only looking for things they want him to say.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:48 AM, Spork3245 said:

They have “bagel Sundays” and “pizza Fridays”

If I burn 2000+ calories running I think I can afford a bagel :p 

Oh and if you can't be critical of Biden you are simply not worth engaging with. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Kamusha said:
WWW.WBUR.ORG

Jon Stewart remains devoted to a lazy brand of false equivalency in which all political candidates are suspect, writes Steve Almond. But the political fate of this country isn’t a joke.

I agree with a lot of this and it helps to pinpoint why many felt last week's segment was tone-death. Stewart can't return for this election with the same tone he's used on previous elections and expect it to work. The stakes are way too high this time around and acting like this is just another election does not ring true for those paying attention.

Yup. Jon Stewart sucks. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll be interested if you get the same reaction I got for saying I never liked him. 

I used to like him but this approach feels real dated and lazy and not relevant. The guy missed the entire Me Too and BLM movement. He defends Dave Chappelle, his brand/style of doing things ended a while ago. He's 5 minutes from complaining about Woke people.

• True 1

49 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll be interested if you get the same reaction I got for saying I never liked him. 

"Why did I get obliterated for saying something completely different than the thing I'm agreeing with?"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

"Why did I get obliterated for saying something completely different than the thing I'm agreeing with?"

I said I never liked him. He said he sucks. Not understanding what you're saying. 

After watching the newest show I said I don't mind him as much. He was making laugh pretty good about the pizza bit. 

3 hours ago, Kamusha said:
WWW.WBUR.ORG

It's not Jon Stewart's job, nor should it be, to get people to vote for a particular candidate. Biden deserves every ounce of fair criticism made public against him and the kids gloves democrats who think every fucking election the "stakes are too high" and "the future of the country is on the ballot" have to get a grip. 

It's not a false equivalency when he's stating as clear as day that one candidate is a literal fascist and the other one appears very old and perhaps diminished despite all of his people telling us he's not.

If people like you have actual gripes with the actual specific criticisms leveled against Biden, I'm all for hearing it. I'm not some Stewart fanboy, he's not perfect. 

But this is the type of thing I was alluding to earlier in the thread. I find it pathetic. 

• Like 2
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It's not Jon Stewart's job, nor should it be, to get people to vote for a particular candidate. Biden deserves every ounce of fair criticism made public against him and the kids gloves democrats who think every fucking election the "stakes are too high" and "the future of the country is on the ballot" have to get a grip. 

It's not a false equivalency when he's stating as clear as day that one candidate is a literal fascist and the other one appears very old and perhaps diminished despite all of his people telling us he's not.

If people like you have actual gripes with the actual specific criticisms leveled against Biden, I'm all for hearing it. I'm not some Stewart fanboy, he's not perfect. 

But this is the type of thing I was alluding to earlier in the thread. I find it pathetic. 

I can live with this. Good post. 

I think Stewart is at "his worst" or perhaps his least interesting when he appeals to what he believes to be common sense issues. It's why the Rally to Restore Sanity And / Or Fear was so goofy. I don't think pointing out that Biden is old the way he did on his first episode back is really that but I also don't think he had a particularly insightful take on the topic, either. It was mainly "bad" because it wasn't especially interesting.

He's still better at what he's doing than a lot of people who have come up or at least tried to fill that gap since... I don't know that the world needs what feels like the ten billionth Jordan Klepper interview with incredulous Trump supporters. I just don't know that there's more to this return than comfort food. Which is totally fine, I appreciate that he's back. It seems unlikely that folks like Seth Meyers would be doing Closer Looks the way he is without Stewart's TDS run, and obviously someone like John Oliver wouldn't.

I'm rambling and I don't really even know that I have a point, other than that while I think that Stewart can waffle, I don't think that's what was happening when he first came back.

That said...

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

He defends Dave Chappelle, his brand/style of doing things ended a while ago. He's 5 minutes from complaining about Woke people.

I do think there's some truth to this. I get sticking up for your friends and for your industry. But for a dude who rightly took shit and then apologized for leaning into trans jokes for a long time, it's disappointing to see Stewart stand up for Dave's "right" to say what he wants... as if that's any of what the criticism about Chappelle's bullshit trans takes is actually about. Stewart is just straight up equivocating there and he's smart enough to know that's what he's doing.

• Halal 1

I think he uses the "I'm just a comedian tee hee" to avoid any responsibility. Which is the same shit Fox and Fox Spin Offs do. How can you hold people responsible when you yourself claim to be immune to responsibility because you're a comedian. So you take the "oh me, I'm just a court jester" attitude and somehow "both sides" certain things and you realize he's just pandering to idealist liberals who still think Bernie would have won and are looking for a reason to not vote. 

7 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think we're beyond that. 

We're not because you're making similar arguments conservatives made against him in 2009. Then, it was, 'Oh, I KNEW he wouldn't go after Obama as much as Bush.' Yours is, "Now's not the time to do both sides this.' 

His point isn't that he's above any criticism for being a comedian; his point is people are assigning the same importance to him as they do news organizations. Even you did it:

13 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Which is the same shit Fox and Fox Spin Offs do.

As he said in a Chris Wallace interview in I want to say 2011, at Stewart's best, what should Jon be, and at Wallace's best, what should Chris be? If you think at their best they should be achieving the same thing, I'd say you're dead wrong. I expect any Fox host, CNN host, broadcast news nightly news host, to be a paradigm of journalism. I expect Jon to do whatever he thinks is funny. 

If we're this aggravated at Jon because the fate of the nation comes down to his once-a-week segments and how they're framed, then we're missing the forest for the trees by light years.

• Like 1
  • True 1

14 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think he uses the "I'm just a comedian tee hee" to avoid any responsibility. Which is the same shit Fox and Fox Spin Offs do. How can you hold people responsible when you yourself claim to be immune to responsibility because you're a comedian. So you take the "oh me, I'm just a court jester" attitude and somehow "both sides" certain things and you realize he's just pandering to idealist liberals who still think Bernie would have won and are looking for a reason to not vote. 

What is John Stewart's responsibility? 

At this point, I simply have no idea which choir Jon Stewart (and John Oliver) could possibly be preaching to other than the same largely white, well-educated, relatively economically secure, liberal audience that's been with them all along.

That's certainly no fault of their own, but I suppose I just don't see what larger difference it makes (if it should make one at all).

• Thanks 1
  • True 1