Grand Theft Auto VI (PS5/Xbox Series, 2025) - Digital Foundry technical analysis of Official Trailer 1 (36 minutes)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Rockstar Plans to Announce Much Anticipated ‘Grand Theft Auto VI’

Rockstar Games, a division of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., plans to announce the next highly anticipated Grand Theft Auto game as early as this week, according to people familiar with its plans.

The company plans to then publish a trailer for Grand Theft Auto VI next month to celebrate Rockstar’s 25th anniversary, said the people, who asked to not be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. A spokesperson for Rockstar didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment sent after business hours.

...to coincide w/ the 25th anniversary of ... what is it, either Rockstar or the IP itself being celebrated. All I have to say is its about freaking time. Also, furthermore, I shall NOT fall for any type of "guaranteed post-release DLC single player content" as we saw how that worked out before. Yes, I'm still holding onto that grudge god dammit.

(This way my opinion sticks in either thread!)

51 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

...to coincide w/ the 25th anniversary of ... what is it, either Rockstar or the IP itself being celebrated. All I have to say is its about freaking time. Also, furthermore, I shall NOT fall for any type of "guaranteed post-release DLC single player content" as we saw how that worked out before. Yes, I'm still holding onto that grudge god dammit.

(This way my opinion sticks in either thread!)

Rockstar studios started in December of 1998 while GTA started in November of 1997.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Trailer in December is almost assuredly at The Game Awards. 

Didnt even dawn on me until you said it ... BUT ... you really think? GTA has always done it's own thing when they wanted to it. Never had premieres at any E3's or anything. I mean it would be a HUGE get for Geoff, just not entirely sure yet.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Rockstar announces that the first trailer for the "next Grand Theft Auto" will be released in early December
33 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Rockstar has always pushed the envelope to the edge so to speak so I'm curious to see how they will approach things this time around. Those that can't wait to be offended will have some good times I think

I think they're attempting to punch up these days so those who can't wait to see the people that can't wait to be offended won't have good times I think.

10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Didnt even dawn on me until you said it ... BUT ... you really think? GTA has always done it's own thing when they wanted to it. Never had premieres at any E3's or anything. I mean it would be a HUGE get for Geoff, just not entirely sure yet.

Yeah I thought about that too, but given Geoff's relationship with all the different game studios, I'm willing to bet he could get them on the show. If not the reveal trailer then maybe something else. 

To illustrate the cultural force that GTA represents, this relatively insignificant story is effectively "front page" news on the sites for CBS, BBC, Reuters, etc.

And, of course, we have its impact on the stock price of Take-Two Interactive:

WWW.CNBC.COM

Get Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (TTWO:NASDAQ) real-time stock quotes, news, price and financial information from CNBC.

Rockstar effectively invented the open world game as we’ve come to know them, and they’re still very much masters of their craft. They’ve got a bigger pile of money than ever, and expectations to match, so I just hope that they take some big swings and innovate. The inevitable online component can stick with what works, but I want to see the single player do something new, or at the very least new to GTA.

There are plenty of things that other open world games do that would greatly benefit GTA. Better traversal is simple, but high up my personal list. It doesn’t need to be AC, but honestly it wouldn’t hurt if it was. I think there’s room in GTA for some kind of RPG system. Right now I think GTA can suffer from a lack of progression when you really only have money and weapon unlocks to work towards.

I also feel like maybe it’s time for GTA to lean a bit more towards the more cartoonish in a Fast and Furious or James Bond kind of way. Give us some crazy gadgets that become core to the gameplay loop. Give us some nifty things we can do in combat and maybe even to solve puzzles. Let players “break” the game in fun little ways. I don’t expect GTA to go full BOTW/TOTK, but both of those games have released since we last saw a GTA game and I’d love to see some of the creative gameplay from those games brought into a slightly more grounded R* game. They don't need to go full on Just Cause, but something to spice things up a bit.

I’m sure that Rockstar will put together a decent enough story with some memorable characters. I’m sure they can build out a nice campaign in a fleshed out environment that is right up there with the best we’ve seen. I would just really love to see GTA surprise us with gameplay creativity that matches the quality of its’ trappings.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

41 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I would just really love to see GTA surprise us with gameplay creativity that matches the quality of its’ trappings.

For me personally, they don't even have to go that far at all!

I'll gladly settle for actual moment-to-moment gameplay control mechanics that weren't pure dogshit!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 1

I think the formula/leaks for GTA allows us to guess a lot for this game:

1)  Modern day Vice City setting

2)  Multiple main characters (at least 2 who are expected to be a Bonnie/Clyde couple named Jason/Lucia)

3)  Lots of over the top caricatures as characters

4)  Dogshit controls

Sorry @Biggie, I don't see a transgender playable character.  The main characters are usually portrayed in a negative light, and I don't see that being something that will go over well.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, stepee said:

honestly I kinda hope this launches late next year or early 25 just so @Phaseknox has his ps5 pro in time for it

I’m predicting that it will come out holiday 2024, or sometime in 2025. I was planning on buying a PS5 late next year, so if Grand Theft Auto VI releases late next year then I will buy a PS5 along with it on launch day.

• Hype 1