Grand Theft Auto VI (PS5/Xbox Series, 2025) - Digital Foundry technical analysis of Official Trailer 1 (36 minutes)

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m predicting that it will come out holiday 2024, or sometime in 2025. I was planning on buying a PS5 late next year, so if Grand Theft Auto VI releases late next year then I will buy a PS5 along with it on launch day.

I feel like it will be a 2024 release. I don't see Rockstar showing a trailer and then topping it off with a date that far away into 2025.

• True 1

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Grand Theft Auto 6 is coming, but don't hold your breath waiting for a Grand Theft Auto Hollywood blockbuster.

I'm sorry to say that you probably don't want to hold your breath waiting: Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick said during an investors call yesterday that the publisher isn't interested in chasing a big-screen GTA project because it's just not worth the effort.

If Take-Two financed a film or series itself, Zelnick explained, it would probably do pretty well on it financially as long as the show in question was a success—but the odds of that happening aren't great. "[Films and television are] very difficult businesses," Zelnick said. "I've been in them successfully. They're super challenging. They're not what we do. We'd much prefer the risk/reward profile of the business we're in."

To put it in context, he said Mattel's licensing profits on the Barbie movie, which he described as an "extraordinary hit," are expected to be about $125 million. That's not nothing, but Zelnick said licensing fees Take-Two would earn on a GTA film would be "a fraction" of what it makes on its games (Take-Two reported net revenues of $1.3 billion in its most recent quarter, in case you were curious), and that's only if the film is a success—which, again, isn't likely.

6 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

While I can see what he is saying, a sucessful movie has more value than just pure money. The Barbie brand becoming culturally relevent is probably worth more than the 125 mil.

Thats true, but GTA is already VERY culturally relevant. Maybe it would be something that made more sense if GTA started to lose some steam with its presence in modern culture. 

Also omg headlines just get worse and worse 

• True 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (12/1): trailer for next Grand Theft Auto to be released on December 5 @ 0600 Pacific/0900 Eastern, Vice City setting essentially confirmed
4 minutes ago, Dawnguard2001 said:

Love Vice City as a location so I pretty excited for this one. 

I just hope we get a release date for 2024 and not have to wait two years like we did  with RDR2.

Well if you release a game near the end of a generation you can get that quick "remaster" out on the next gen system early on and ride that for another 10 years. 

• Haha 3
  • True 1

I'm sticking with 10/10/25 as the release date. I'm still trying to figure out how some sassy Latina for a main character is going to "trigger the chuds" when the series has already had two black main characters. Unless I somehow missed much whining about that.

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm sticking with 10/10/25 as the release date. I'm still trying to figure out how some sassy Latina for a main character is going to "trigger the chuds" when the series has already had two black main characters. Unless I somehow missed much whining about that.

I hope you're wrong but I have a bad feeling your predictied release date is spot on. Maybe it will be one of the first few games to fully utilize the PS5 Pro. @stepee will buy me that so I'm looking forward to it!

Spoiler

:sun:

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

23 minutes ago, Dodger said:

They are all upset that it is going to be woke now since it has a sassy Latina as a main character.  All worried that it will not be offensive enough like past GTAs.  Then just playing as a female character will probably make them feel insecure in their manhood or something else dumb. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dawnguard2001 said:

They are all upset that it is going to be woke now since it has a sassy Latina as a main character.  All worried that it will not be offensive enough like past GTAs.  Then just playing as a female character will probably make them feel insecure in their manhood or something else dumb. 

Unless the main character is Latina trans Tommy Vercetti I don't think there will be much controversy. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Even if it was, even if it's not, you underestimate the internet.

I'm sure a couple morons on Twitter or whatever the fuck it is now will whine because yes the internet will whine about everything, but I don't think we're looking at like Fox News and Tucker Carlson and Hannity segments about how woke GTA has gone just because a Latina female is the main character of the next game. 

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm sure a couple morons on Twitter or whatever the fuck it is now will whine because yes the internet will whine about everything, but I don't think we're looking at like Fox News and Tucker Carlson and Hannity segments about how woke GTA has gone just because a Latina female is the main character of the next game. 

I think when people say it’ll trigger the chuds they are taking exactly about the online twitter people not that it will receive national coverage on fox. The angle for that isn’t good because they can’t wax nostalgic about a violent video game.

Now something that COULD hit fox as a controversy would be say if they had a Jan 6th parody or something where you’d obviously be able to then kill the chuds..like how you can kill everyone else, that would potentially be something.

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I honestly can't imagine just how good this game will be. I'm currently playing RDR2 and there is nothing like it on the market. 

@Phaseknox get hyped!

There is a reason for that.

No one else can spend that kind of money on developing such a detailed and rich open world, while still making the gameplay feel 15 years out of date.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There is a reason for that.

No one else can spend that kind of money on developing such a detailed and rich open world, while still making the gameplay feel 15 years out of date.

I honestly don't understand the hate on the gameplay. It plays perfectly fine. I know you're not the only one here who thinks that. 

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also, it's not uncommon in South Florida for it to be raining buckets one side of the street and for there to be blindingly bright sunshine on the other side of the same street.

We visited family in Boca Raton, FL two years ago and the weather did that everyday we were there around 3-4pm.  You could see the rain farther down the beach just working its way up to us. It would get dark as hell too. By 5pm it was all sunny again.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:13 AM, Dodger said:

I'm still trying to figure out how some sassy Latina for a main character is going to "trigger the chuds" when the series has already had two black main characters. Unless I somehow missed much whining about that.

There’s apparently two main characters - a male and female. I’m hoping that you can play whichever that you want at any time, because I’m not interested in playing as the dude. :p

On 12/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, best3444 said:

I honestly can't imagine just how good this game will be. I'm currently playing RDR2 and there is nothing like it on the market. 

@Phaseknox get hyped!

We’ll see what the first trailer reveals, I’m expecting it to reveal the setting, story and main characters because first Grand Theft Auto trailers have never shown actual gameplay before. Maybe it’ll be different this time, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also, it's not uncommon in South Florida for it to be raining buckets one side of the street and for there to be blindingly bright sunshine on the other side of the same street.

The sound of the rain that to me sounded like a waterfall during heavy rain storms and the louder thunderstorms would wake me up and I was a heavy sleeper.