~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

51 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

LOL @ McCarthy positioning himself as the adult in the room and not as a coward bitch that is doing this as a desperate attempt to cling to power. 

tbh, clinging to power would have been letting the government shut down to appease the hard right who threatened to kick him out. Passing this bill makes him vulnerable -- maybe -- to the faction lead by the child molestor.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

tbh, clinging to power would have been letting the government shut down to appease the hard right who threatened to kick him out. Passing this bill makes him vulnerable -- maybe -- to the faction lead by the child molestor.

I'm willing to be democrats have agreed to help keep him in power to completely neuter the Freedom Caucus. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

It would not absolve the GOP of their BS, but it would be nice to see the GOP put the MAGAt stooges in their place.. starting with Gaetz

Having Gaetz put McCarthy to a vote and failing would go a long way into cutting him a bit down to size

• True 2

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

That only works if Democrats save him. 

Its on them to decide what levels of the crazy they want to deal with..

McCarthy is no saint (Biden impeachment inquiry shows he will ignore their own established rules), but it does extend the “Civil War” within the GOP

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If I were a house dem, I’d be concerned about who would replace McCarthy should he be ousted.

This, the Magats are so far into the cool aid they’ve grown gills, better the enemy who owes you something. I’m not looking forward to another vote a thon

Fucking shit hole country 

McCarthy has scheduled the vote for Gaetz's motion for this afternoon:

WWW.CNBC.COM

House Speaker McCarthy is under fire from fellow Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz because of a bill passed with Democrats that avoided a government shutdown.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy told his Republican caucus members he will bring a motion that seeks to oust him to a vote Tuesday afternoon, two GOP lawmakers told NBC News.

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., a longtime foe of McCarthy’s, on Monday night filed a motion to vacate targeting the speaker’s position.

Gaetz claims that McCarthy no longer represents the interests of the GOP caucus after the Californian worked with Democrats to pass a stopgap funding bill to avoid a government shutdown over the weekend.

Gaetz has been threatening McCarthy with a motion to vacate since he worked with Democrats on a debt ceiling deal in the spring.

McCarthy told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Tuesday morning that Gaetz has “personal things in his life that he has challenges with.”

GEE - I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE REFERRING TO?!?

• Haha 1

I say the dems should cut a deal to let him stay but only do it by the thinnest number of votes needed. McCarthy craves power so letting him feel the heat that he is only there because of the dems. Hopefully that can get a few more concessions out of him.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I say the dems should cut a deal to let him stay but only do it by the thinnest number of votes needed. McCarthy craves power so letting him feel the heat that he is only there because of the dems. Hopefully that can get a few more concessions out of him.

Let's see what the (for the time being) Speaker has to say about that:

"They haven't asked for anything. I'm not going to provide anything" -- McCarthy on CNBC on what Dems want in order to help him stay speaker

Asked McCarthy if he’s open to power-sharing deal w Ds: “That doesn’t work. I'm a conservative, I'm a Republican. I'm a conservative that want to get things done. I know we live in our governments designed to have compromise but look we are in the majority. You don't surrender”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Jeffries has authorized the Democrats to vote to oust him if they're so inclined.

Good, it'd be complete political malpractice to vote to save McCarthy without extracting any concessions from him.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's see what the (for the time being) Speaker has to say about that:

Well I expected him to be dumb but didn’t think to add the rocks. May he fall flat on his face for it. I guess we’re going back to speaker voting gridlock.

From an hour ago:

A variety of McCarthy rank and file allies are frantically reaching out to Dems right now to gauge what they want for a possible deal to save his speakership, per a House GOP lawmaker

If they get a possible deal, though, “I don’t know if Kevin will take it,” said the Republican.

A ringing endorsement if there ever was one:

Representative Kelly Armstrong, Republican of North Dakota, said as he was entering the chamber that if Speaker Kevin McCarthy is ousted, Armstrong believes more than 200 Republican members will fight for him to be reinstated. "Anybody else said they want the job?," he asked. "Why the hell would they?"