~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Mike Johnson may have avoided a shutdown, but the House GOP is still emotionally raw from its 22-day speakership fight.

Rep. Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.), who compared Republicans’ infighting to grade school bullying, said Johnson was doing his best with the party’s slim margins, but the party is still a mess.

“It’s the same clown car with a different driver,” Armstrong said. And unless the GOP could figure out a way to regain control of the floor, he warned: “We essentially don’t have the majority.”

Many lawmakers blame those flaring tempers on being in Washington for an unprecedented 10 weeks in a row. Former Speaker John Boehner famously warned that members should never be in D.C. longer than three weeks. House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) quipped with a laugh Wednesday: “I don’t think we would have gotten through week 11. I really don’t.”

Yeah, that's totally hilarious, Tom.  Totally hilarious.

The emotional, 22-day speakership battle has Republicans still feeling raw. One member, Rep. Mike Bost (R-Ill.), said his stress over the ordeal manifested in physical symptoms — headaches and an upset stomach that occasionally led him to vomiting. The anger culminated in a now-infamous clash between Bost and Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) during a closed-door conference meeting, when Bost yelled at the instigator of McCarthy’s ouster to “sit down.”

“It took a lot of prayer to get through it,” Bost said, noting his symptoms began to alleviate once they elected Johnson.

(rubs temples)

Still, some members maintained a sense of humor, making jokes about an already infamous moment of their week: When Rep. Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) accused McCarthy of elbowing him in the halls, which the Californian denied.

“Did he hit my kidneys? Was that my kidneys?” Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) quipped as Rep. Kevin Hern (R-Okla.) walked behind him, before pretending to dramatically stumble. “I almost fell over — you guys were witnesses! It was violence.”

But on a serious note, Diaz-Balart said of the House GOP mood: “The tensions are really, really, really, really high.”

These guys should be on late night.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Mike Johnson may have avoided a shutdown, but the House GOP is still emotionally raw from its 22-day speakership fight.

Yeah, that's totally hilarious, Tom.  Totally hilarious.

(rubs temples)

These guys should be on late night.

I feel like the silent generation/very early baby boomers was the last generation of fully formed emotional adults.  Everyone after that are gray haired children. 

• 3 weeks later...

And he's outta here!

WWW.CNBC.COM

"I know my work is only getting started," McCarthy, R-Calif., said in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal.

Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said Wednesday he will resign from Congress at the end of the year.

McCarthy, the California Republican who was ousted as speaker by a faction of his own party two months earlier, said he is leaving “to serve America in new ways.”

“I know my work is only getting started,” McCarthy said in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal.

The announcement, which was expected, came the week before the House is scheduled to depart Capitol Hill for the rest of the year.

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 2
  • Hype 3

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

9781451607345_hr.jpg

These types of covers are always hilarious. There was a similar one in Canada a few years back that said something like "The New Resistance" and had 5-6 prominent white male conservative politicians who were going to "resist" Trudeau's federal government. But now, 5 years later, most of them are all gone from office after losing or being kicked out.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

These types of covers are always hilarious. There was a similar one in Canada a few years back that said something like "The New Resistance" and had 5-6 prominent white male conservative politicians who were going to "resist" Trudeau's federal government. But now, 5 years later, most of them are all gone from office after losing or being kicked out.

The "This is the way" for GenXers

• 1 month later...

Here we go again!

Per Jake Sherman:

One week until the government partially shuts down

- House will be gone by 10:45 this morning.
- Senate left yesterday
- Not a single bill conferenced
- Speaker Johnson hasn't publicly said whether he's for a CR
- As of yesterday, Johnson had members in his office urging him to walk away from a four-day old spending agreement.

Remember how appropriations was going to work again? This is as bad as it's been. If not worse. Two deadlines in two months.

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It appears that Johnson has enough support from the non-Freedumb Caucus GOP reps that he'll stick to the top-line spending deal with Schumer.

And then we get a new speaker vote? :daydream:

• 5 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Are republicans trying to lose the next election on purpose?

They're stuck pandering to their crazy base that votes in the primaries, plus a lot of those crazy true believers are now in Congress themselves.

• Halal 1