~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

25 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

I hope when the Shutdown begins that the Dems buy themselves some commercial time and splice together all those clips of the GOP talking heads admitting that this is all their doing and the intent of some of their caucus to “burn the whole place down”

They should absolutely milk it but apparently "who shuts down the government" is a question the average American voter is actually able to figure out for themself. :p

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

They should absolutely milk it but apparently "who shuts down the government" is a question the average American voter is actually able to figure out for themself. :p

Lies! Americans are not that smart.

but they can 100% explain a spread offense.

• True 1

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Executing the latest idea -- a "clean" 45-day bill with no money for Ukraine -- would require significant Democratic support.

Speaker Kevin McCarthy is eyeing a last-minute escape hatch from a government shutdown before Sunday's deadline— one that will require support from Democrats and potentially endanger his gavel.

House Republicans are meeting behind closed doors on Saturday morning to try to figure out their spending strategy after nearly two dozen of their own members on Friday blocked a GOP proposal to pair funding the government with steep spending cuts and conservative border policy.

McCarthy is pushing ahead with a 45-day stopgap spending bill, known as a continuing resolution, to avert a shutdown and give the House GOP more time to pass their own full-year spending bills.

But executing that plan would require help from a significant swath of Democrats — the exact scenario under which conservatives have threatened to try to end McCarthy's speakership.

McCarthy used Saturday's closed-door meeting to temperature check his own members; the House is expected to vote on the short-term funding patch by the afternoon. Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) has conveyed to fellow leaders that the GOP lacks the votes on its own side of the aisle to pass any short-term stopgap bill without looking to Democrats, but the bill may well get that level of support from the opposing party.

• Haha 1

So this part:

But executing that plan would require help from a significant swath of Democrats — the exact scenario under which conservatives have threatened to try to end McCarthy's speakership.

I was listening to a rundown of this on NPR, and I heard the anchor say to the reporter covering it, "Am I misreading this, or does it sound as if the government could shutdown because Speaker McCarthy wants to keep his job?" And I might not have the nitty-gritty down, but it does sound as if he could easily pass a funding bill. The problem IIRC is the extremists wouldn't like it, and he already made it easy to start a process to oust him for speakership, so he's trying to somehow placate them, which is impossible.

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

So this part:

I was listening to a rundown of this on NPR, and I heard the anchor say to the reporter covering it, "Am I misreading this, or does it sound as if the government could shutdown because Speaker McCarthy wants to keep his job?" And I might not have the nitty-gritty down, but it does sound as if he could easily pass a funding bill. The problem IIRC is the extremists wouldn't like it, and he already made it easy to start a process to oust him for speakership, so he's trying to somehow placate them, which is impossible.

This is essentially correct.  He could put a CR on the floor that more or less reflects the Senate bill and it would pass, but he'd then face a full-scale revolt from the right.

• Hype 1

31 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

So McCarthy is gone tomorrow?

Tomorrow?  Nah.

And honestly, I seriously doubt there is a viable alternative to him that has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a majority of the GOP caucus.

All of this is embarrassing for him, but not necessarily "fatal".

So if Lloyd Austins salary can be cut to $1 for “failing to do his job”..

it seems like members of Congress who cant keep the government running should be kept to the same standard… hell vacate all their benefits and pensions… Its only fair if thats what the MAGAt 3 stooges call accountability

• Halal 1

McCarthy:

"It's alright if Republicans and Democrats work together

"If somebody wants to make a motion against me, bring it. there has to be an adult in the room."

"We tried to pass the most conservative stopgap possible ... we didn't have 218 Republicans that would vote for it to help us secure the border."

“There was an outcry from rank-and-file that want a [continuing resolution]. We’re tired of fucking around with these whack jobs. They voted against it yesterday, so let’s just put up a clean CR,” said Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.), among those who had repeatedly pushed for the speaker to ignore his right flank.