~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

WWW.CNBC.COM

Republicans in Congress and Wall Street investors are holding their breath to see what House Speaker Kevin McCarthy can pull off in the coming days.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy failed a crucial test Thursday of his ability to unite his fractured Republican caucus as he tries to rally support to pass a spending bill aimed at avoiding a government shutdown at the end of the month.

The House failed to pass a measure that would have set the rules for debate on a Pentagon funding bill, which had been expected to come to the House floor for a final vote later Thursday. A rules vote typically serves as a dress rehearsal for final votes, giving leadership a sense of where support stands.

Pentagon funding bills are traditionally approved by wide margins.

More importantly, passing the Defense rules package would have rallied House Republicans around a shared cause and built momentum for a much more difficult vote in the coming days: passing a government spending bill in time to avert a potentially damaging government shutdown set to begin Oct. 1.

After the failed vote, McCarthy, R-Calif., said, “It’s frustrating in the sense that I don’t understand why anybody votes against bringing the idea up and having the debate and then you got all the amendments if you don’t like the bill.”

On Wednesday, two Republicans who had formerly opposed the rules bill signaled they would switch sides to support it, raising hopes that it could pass.

But two conservative hardliners, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., and Rep. Eli Crane, R-Ariz., who had supported an identical bill just days ago, surprised everyone when they voted “no.”

McCarthy vented his frustration with them after the vote.

“This is a whole new concept of individuals that just want to burn the whole place down. That doesn’t work,” he said.

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 2

15 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

As someone who only peripherally pays attention to the Ukrraine war, how much will failing to fund the government affect the war itself @Commissar SFLUFAN?? Do you expect Europe will pick up the slack in funding , or does this really weaken the military position of Ukraine? 

The Senate wants to include Ukraine funding in their version of the DoD stopgap funding bill while the House GOP insists that it be voted on separately.  At this point, I'm not optimistic in the least of seeing Ukraine aid in the near future, probably not even through the remainder of the year.

As for Europe, many of those nations have contributed more on a per capita GDP basis than the US and it wouldn't surprise me if they're getting weary of it all as well.

Zelensky should really be thinking long and hard about what the shape of the inevitable negotiations will be.

• Thanks 2
  • True 1

It really seems completely sad that the clown circus is going to shut down our government. And I do blame Trump. Even though he's not in Congress, he invited this clown circus to Washington and completely edged them on.

I'm not seeing a great future for this country if the Republican Party can't manage to spit these nutballs back into the sewer.

• True 1

21 minutes ago, brucoe said:

It really seems completely sad that the clown circus is going to shut down our government. And I do blame Trump. Even though he's not in Congress, he invited this clown circus to Washington and completely edged them on.

I'm not seeing a great future for this country if the Republican Party can't manage to spit these nutballs back into the sewer.

He keeps telling republicans in congress, for what that’s worth, that they need to defund Jack smith as well

Yup - things are still going swimmingly.

WWW.CNN.COM

Tensions erupted as House Republicans met behind closed-doors on Thursday, the latest sign of deep divisions and infighting as the House GOP conference has failed to coalesce around a plan to avert a shutdown.

Tensions erupted as House Republicans met behind closed-doors on Thursday, the latest sign of deep divisions and infighting as the House GOP conference has failed to coalesce around a plan to avert a shutdown.

GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz and Speaker Kevin McCarthy got into a testy exchange during the meeting, according to a source in the room. Gaetz stood up and confronted McCarthy about whether his allies were paying conservative influencers to bash Gaetz in social media posts – an allegation circulating on social media and one the speaker’s office has denied.

McCarthy’s response, according to the source in the room, was that he wouldn’t waste his time or money on Gaetz. Another source said McCarthy also shot back that he doesn’t know what Gaetz is spending time on, but he (the speaker) is donating $5 million to help keep the majority.

“I asked him whether or not he was paying those influencers to post negative things about me online,” Gaetz told CNN’s Manu Raju – and confirmed that McCarthy said he wouldn’t waste time on him.

McCarthy and Gaetz have long had a tense relationship and Gaetz has led the charge in threatening to force a vote to oust the speaker as pressure on McCarthy builds during the shutdown spending fight and hardline conservatives balk at the prospect of passing any kind of short-term funding extension to keep the government opening.

After the exchange, members in the room could be heard complaining about Gaetz, with one member calling him a “scumbag” and another saying “F**k off,” according to a third source in the room.

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.CNN.COM

Shinning city on the hill!

Please proceed.

House hardliners are plotting to replace Speaker McCarthy and are coalescing around one of McCarthy’s deputies - Whip Tom Emmer - as a motion to vacate is “inevitable” in the coming days.

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Such a move would throw the chamber into further disarray in the middle of a potential government shutdown.

• Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 2

On 9/22/2023 at 12:50 PM, brucoe said:

Not happening.  You can't put the genie back in the bottle.  This is just the GOP now.

• True 2

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

At least with Speaker Gaetz, we'll get the spectacle of the Speaker of the House of Representatives taking bong rips right in the middle of a floor vote.

true but at least MTG would trigger subconscious responses.. some will go watch Dog the Bounty Hunter and others will go watch The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke

12 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

So what will happen first in our post-apocalyptic future.. Speaker Gaetz or Speaker MTG?

Not sure Bobert will survive her next election, though it behooves her to lock in that Congressional pension

Gaetz because I think if he held that position it would be the tipping point for someone to finally really push investigation into his human trafficking and stuff 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.CNN.COM

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

So what will happen first in our post-apocalyptic future.. Speaker Gaetz or Speaker MTG?

Not sure Bobert will survive her next election, though it behooves her to lock in that Congressional pension

Marge could physically impose her will on the caucus.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Camacho was a good president doe. Camacho got the literal smartest guy alive to solve the country's most pressing problem, and then actually implemented his recommendations!

I’m an American, we only elect the smartest and brightest with the biggliest plans 

From Politico, Matt "Agent of Chaos" Gaetz is still at it.

Matt Gaetz is privately courting some House Democrats to help him oust Kevin McCarthy from the speakership.

The Florida Republican, who is threatening to force a vote on booting McCarthy if he works with Democrats to avoid a shutdown, approached multiple Democrats on the floor late

Thursday night to discuss how they would vote on a possible vote of no confidence against McCarthy.

Among the Democrats he spoke to: Congressional Progressive Caucus Chair Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.).

While liberals have never been expected to bail out McCarthy, Gaetz’s maneuvering is the latest sign that he is serious about his efforts to try to oust the speaker in the coming days. His conversations with Democrats were confirmed by three people familiar with the discussions.

During their conversation, Jayapal told Gaetz that progressives would not support McCarthy — a position that her group had discussed privately earlier this week. Jayapal also urged Gaetz to defer his ouster bid until after the looming shutdown, which is expected to begin at midnight Sunday.

“He’s been talking to everybody about it,” Jayapal told POLITICO. “I told him in our caucus, in the Progressive Caucus, we’re not planning to save McCarthy — for a whole host of reasons. And so, we really need to get through the shutdown first.”

Jayapal is not the only Democrat whom Gaetz approached on the floor. He was also seen speaking to the top Democrat on the House Rules Committee, Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) and Rep. Greg Casar (D-Texas), who is a whip for the progressive group. 

Gaetz denied talking to Democrats about such an effort, telling POLITICO that it’s “false” to claim he was courting them on a potential vote to eject McCarthy as speaker. He said he is focused on “killing” a short-term spending bill that McCarthy is teeing up for a vote on Friday.

Gaetz’s move is all but certain to anger GOP colleagues who will accuse him of hypocrisy for reaching across the aisle — while vowing to punish McCarthy for doing the same.

“I think it's clear that Matt Gaetz is trying to undermine the Republican majority and the speaker for his own personal and political purposes,” Rep. Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) told reporters, calling Gaetz a "charlatan."

“And I think the fact that he would even entertain the idea of working with the squad and progressive Democrats to undermine the House majority speaks volumes."

One angry McCarthy-allied House Republican said of Gaetz, speaking on condition of anonymity: "We want him out.”

This Republican expressed the hope that the House Ethics Committee’s investigation into Gaetz will end with a finding that can allow his party to “kick his ass back to Florida.”

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1