~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

Let's see how things are going with the GOP majority, shall we?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy told the Republican caucus behind closed doors on Thursday he's not afraid of his critics forcing a possible vote to oust him.

During a closed-door meeting with his conference, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Thursday dared Republican hard-liners to try to oust him as speaker, according to multiple sources in the room.

A defiant McCarthy said he's not afraid of a motion to vacate, sources said, telling his colleagues: "Move the f------ motion." Some in the room described McCarthy as visibly irritated.

Tensions between McCarthy and the House Freedom Caucus are at a high level amid a spending showdown on Capitol Hill.

McCarthy on Thursday warned Republicans they would lose the shutdown fight if they don't start passing bills soon, according to sources. He said the House will stay in session if the government is not funded.

Gaetz has repeatedly threatened that he could bring the motion to vacate to the floor any day now despite McCarthy ordering an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden -- a move widely seen as an attempt to appease the far-right flank.

"I rise today to serve notice," Gaetz said in a floor speech on Tuesday shortly after McCarthy's impeachment announcement. "Mr. Speaker, you are out of compliance with the agreement that allowed you to assume this role. The path forward for the House of Representatives is to either bring you in to immediate total compliance or remove you, pursuant to a motion to vacate the chair."

THEHILL.COM

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) attacked Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) Wednesday, saying the Freedom Caucus member has been “working with” Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) to conspire against him. …

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) attacked Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) Wednesday, saying the Freedom Caucus member has been “working with” Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) to conspire against him.

Gaetz has long been an opponent of McCarthy, including refusing to back his Speakership bid in January. He re-upped calls to replace the Speaker last week with a tweet to Swalwell inquiring about Democratic support, which McCarthy claims is, in reality, about an ethics complaint against the Florida congressman.

“Matt is working with Eric Swalwell, but let me be very clear,” McCarthy told CNN. “Matt is upset about an ethics complaint. I don’t care what they threaten against me. I’m not gonna interject into an independent committee like ethics, and I’m not going to put Swalwell back on the intel committee. So, they can do whatever they want.”

In an MSNBC interview later Wednesday, Gaetz denied that he is motivated by that investigation.

“I am the most investigated man in the entire Congress, and right there you saw Kevin McCarthy lying like a dead dog because I have never asked him to interfere in any ethics matter,” Gaetz said.

He called McCarthy’s implication that he asked for special treatment on the complaint an “abject lie from a sad and pathetic man who lies to hold onto power.”

Yup - things are going great!

• Sicko 1
  • Hype 2

For some progressive Democrats, the answer is easy.

"I mean, if that vote comes up, I'll vote to vacate," said Rep. Maxwell Frost of Florida. "I think Kevin McCarthy is a horrible speaker."

"I would vote for that," said Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota.

"When the vote comes up, I'll make a decision," said Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas. "But hypothetically, yes."

• Haha 2

WWW.SEMAFOR.COM

Strange bedfellows are working to avert a “Godfather II” ending.

One senior Republican said the House GOP conference may be edging closer to tearing itself apart, drawing a comparison to what ultimately happened with the so-called “Five Families” in the Godfather movies.

“The whole family kills each other,” the senior GOP lawmaker said. “ I think we’re close to that right now. We are in maybe the Godfather II stage.”

The Five Families stuff was in the first movie! You don't know your Godfather movies!

• True 1

The House GOP came up with something to fund the government through Halloween last night that may or may not have enough GOP votes to pass and definitely will be DOA in the Senate.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The legislation, brokered between GOP factions, would include spending cuts and a conservative border measure, making it unlikely to pass the Democratic-led Senate.

Key factions of the House Republican Conference reached a tentative agreement Sunday to keep the government funded temporarily and avert a shutdown scheduled for the end of the month, pairing it with a conservative border security measure, multiple GOP sources with knowledge of the agreement said.

House Republicans released a bill after the far-right Freedom Caucus and the center-right Main Street Caucus reached a tentative agreement, the sources said. The deal, which would keep the government funded through Oct. 31 but includes cuts to domestic spending, is expected to pave the way to pass a defense spending bill this week that has been tied up in the standoff between Republican leadership and the far right.

If the legislation passes the House, it would resolve one internal problem for Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., while creating a new one. The controversial immigration provisions and reduced spending levels make it all but guaranteed to die in the Democratic-led Senate, meaning it could do more to hasten a shutdown at the end of September than prevent one.

The bill would cut domestic spending by 8% with exceptions for the military and veterans funding.

It includes most of the Secure the Border Act of 2023, a wish list of immigration provisions for GOP hard-liners, with the exception of provisions requiring employers to use E-Verify to check immigration status. The legislation has been a big priority for Freedom Caucus members. And while it passed the House in May, the Senate has ignored it.

• Haha 1

Or not.

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Kevin McCarthy's odds of passing the deal between the House GOP's centrist and conservative wings faces a brutal vote-counting reality.

For a minute, it seemed like a déjà vu moment — another tactical coup for Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who after fits and starts earlier this year got his conference to unite behind a conservative debt-ceiling proposal, paving the way for an unlikely bipartisan deal to avert a federal default.

This time, things aren’t looking so good.

As details of the deal hashed out by leaders of the Main Street Caucus and House Freedom Caucus trickled out, a bevy of conservative hardliners piped up with various versions of “Hell No” — rejecting a measure that would impose an 8% cut to most non-defense programs and implement an array of GOP border policies while extending government funding for a month.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) told our colleague Olivia Beavers he “will not support this 167 page surrender to Joe Biden.”

Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) called the plan a “continuation of Nancy Pelosi’s budget and Joe Biden’s policies.”

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) posted to X, the social network formerly known as Twitter, “I’m a NO,” while Rep. Eli Crane (R-Ariz.) simply posted “NO.”

Add to that more objections from Reps. Dan Bishop (R-N.C.), Cory Mills (R-Fla.), Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.), Tony Gonzales (R-Texas), Andy Ogles (R-Tenn.), Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fa.), Victoria Spartz (R-Ind.) and Ralph Norman (R-S.C.), with others certain to follow.

• Haha 2

WWW.REUTERS.COM

House of Representatives Republicans failed to move forward on a fiscal 2024 U.S. defense spending bill on Tuesday, as internal party divisions threatened the ability of Congress to fund the government and avert a partial shutdown at the end of the month.

House of Representatives Republicans failed to move forward on a fiscal 2024 U.S. defense spending bill on Tuesday, as internal party divisions threatened the ability of Congress to fund the government and avert a partial shutdown at the end of the month.

The Republican-led House voted 214-212 to defeat a rule that would have opened debate on the $886 billion appropriations bill. Five hardline Republican conservatives, who are demanding deep spending cuts, joined Democrats to oppose the measure.

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 5:41 PM, silentbob said:

Democrats should make their own budget and try to get a few Republicans to vote with them to get something through. The government could be shutdown for a long time with all these idiot monkeys running the circus. 

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Any Democratic participation in a plan to stop a shutdown — let alone save the speaker's gavel — would have huge conditions attached.

Something is cooking behind closed doors. 

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Any Democratic participation in a plan to stop a shutdown — let alone save the speaker's gavel — would have huge conditions attached.

Something is cooking behind closed doors. 

If McCarthy manages to cut a deal with the Democrats, the Freedumb Caucus will definitely go into open revolt.