~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

Looks like it's gonna be Gym Jordan Jr.

Make no mistake. This is the closest the House has been since McCarthy was ousted to electing a new speaker. 

Fatigue factor is huge. The desire to coalesce is large. And Mike Johnson doesn’t seem to have the strong opponents that other candidates had

Still have to go to floor

Seems like some grade A ground chud 

Johnson opposed the results of Obergefell vs. Hodges, which legalized same-sex marriage across the US. 

Johnson opposes abortion and supports legislation to prohibit abortions.

Johnson believes medical marijuana is a "gateway drug" to other drugs.

Johnson was one of 147 members of Congress to vote to overturn the results of the 2020 United States presidential election in the state of Pennsylvania.

In April 2018, Johnson joined Republican state Attorney General Jeff Landry and Christian actor Kirk Cameron to argue under the First Amendment for student-led prayer and religious expression in public schools

6 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

There's now talk of a "McCarthy-Jordan unity ticket"

:shrug:

WWW.CNN.COM

The idea of a Republican House speaker unity ticket with former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy as speaker and Jim Jordan as his deputy is actively being discussed between McCarthy allies and Jordan allies, sources tell CNN, who think it could gain steam if the GOP once again fails to...

How the fuck would this even work? 

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Mike Johnson isn’t real right? That’s like the generic game a video game gives you. Jon Dowd-ass name. 

Boy, his generic white guy looks ain't doing anything to shoot holes in this theory.

When I saw the stock photo of him I suspected ChatGPT spat it out when someone typed in, show me the phrase, "Working hard or hardly working buddy?" if it were a person.....

231024-Mike-Johnson-ew-553p-d0c9ec.jpg

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Boy, his generic white guy looks ain't doing anything to shoot holes in this theory.

When I saw the stock photo of him I suspected ChatGPT spat it out when someone typed in, show me the phrase, "Working hard or hardly working buddy?" if it were a person.....

7rnb2e.jpg?a471528

5 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

If you asked a magical Genie to make The Colbert Report a real person.... 

34 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

these people are so fucking mentally ill

WWW.CNN.COM

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson has a history of harsh anti-gay language from his time as an attorney for a socially conservative legal group in the mid-2000s.

• Hugs 1

Just now, Jason said:

WWW.CNN.COM

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson has a history of harsh anti-gay language from his time as an attorney for a socially conservative legal group in the mid-2000s.

my man has def had his dick sucked by a dude then

• True 1

35 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

So is this the inflection point where the full realignment of the Republican to the MAGA Party is complete?

Definitely now with Romney leaving and everyone else that ever uttered an ill word in Trump's direction having fully capitulated.

This is largely a puff piece because CBS is connected to the book about Romney, but he does a pretty good job of laying out where the fissure occurred and who embodied the old Republican party.

58 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

It will be interesting how the "moderate" Republicans that voted for him try to explain this to their voters. I think its gonna wipe out the last of the traditional types this coming election. 

The 14 Biden district Republicans are gonna be the ones who pay the price for this.

• Sicko Sherman 1

I imagine that now the rest of the moderate Republicans see the writing on the wall and fully grasp that MAGA is the party… now there will be a mass exodus of moderates leaving to make their own political party… Lol, just kidding, theyre spineless and will keep their thumbs up their ass

3 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

I imagine that now the rest of the moderate Republicans see the writing on the wall and fully grasp that MAGA is the party… now there will be a mass exodus of moderates leaving to make their own political party… Lol, just kidding, theyre spineless and will keep their thumbs up their ass

It's happened before - the Democratic party SHOULD HAVE dissolved in the wake of Civil War, but it was somehow able to hold on and rebuild itself.  The Republican party SHOULD have disintegrated during the depression, but it was somehow able to rehabilitate itself.  As much as I would love to see the GOP snap itself out of existence, the two party system will likely mean it is here to stay.