~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

23 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Incredible

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

House Republicans started over on the search for the next speaker of the House after Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) was ousted last week.

So the cuck didn't try to negotiate with the Democrats? And he's the one they considered the most reliable Republican negotiator? 

4 hours ago, Massdriver said:

“I don’t want us to go out there and, in front of the entire world, puke on our shoes again. That’s what we’ve been doing,” said Rep. Bill Huizenga (R-Mich.). Or, in other words, he said: "Let’s get our poop in a group, people."

I think we've discovered Representative Huizenga's kink.

There's now talk of a "McCarthy-Jordan unity ticket"

:shrug:

WWW.CNN.COM

The idea of a Republican House speaker unity ticket with former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy as speaker and Jim Jordan as his deputy is actively being discussed between McCarthy allies and Jordan allies, sources tell CNN, who think it could gain steam if the GOP once again fails to reach consensus tonight. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Screenshot_20231024_205644_Twitter.jpg

I still remember a bonkers argument I had on this board probably almost a decade ago now. 

It was some bill or another that got passed with a bipartisan vote. And one of the conservatives that still posted here at the time insisted without shame or doubt or self awareness that the conservatives who went out of their way to keep X out of the bill now deserved a huge amount of credit for getting X done. It was like arguing with a funhouse mirror as he totally believed that something Dems were responsible for, and which they had to give concessions to get....was now something Republicans could take credit for because they ultimately voted for the bill.

I always remember this argument in moments like this because Dems need to be aware that if they vote to support ANY Republican for Speaker they now own everything that Speaker does. For instance, as far as right wing talking points going forward they will have essentially endorsed the impeachment of Joe Biden....

I understand there might be political calculus to eventually supporting someone in some scenario, but they damn well better make sure it's worth it because Republicans will bludgeon them with every horrible thing they do from now until Nov. '24.

• True 1