~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really can't think of a truly "legitimate" reason for Democrats to NOT support this clean CR, even as weirdly structured as it is, and avoid a shutdown during the year-end holiday season.

Only reason I can think is the politics of denialism. Which has become a legitimate reason for the past 30-odd years to do. 

33 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really can't think of a truly "legitimate" reason for Democrats to NOT support this clean CR, even as weirdly structured as it is, and avoid a shutdown during the year-end holiday season.

The Republicans will take the political hit for the shutdown and the only point of the weird structuring is to create more shutdown chaos. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Republicans will take the political hit for the shutdown and the only point of the weird structuring is to create more shutdown chaos. 

Maybe.

I'm just not convinced that the blame will squarely fall on the GOP's shoulders for a holiday season shutdown rather than one early next year.

Schumer just indicated that he has no significant objections to Johnson's CR.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Monday said he is “pleased” with Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-La.) plan to avoid a government shutdown.

Schumer noted that Johnson’s “laddered” stopgap spending bill — which funds four bills through Jan. 19 and the remaining eight through Feb. 2 — is “far from perfect,” but indicated the “clean” measure provides a path to funding the government for the next two months.

“For now, I am pleased that Speaker Johnson seems to be moving in our direction by advancing a CR that doesn’t include the highly partisan cuts that Democrats have warned against,” the Democratic leader said on the floor. 

“The Speaker’s proposal is far from perfect, but the most important thing is that it refrains from making steep cuts,” Schumer continued, adding that it is important that the deadline to fund defense items would come in February. 

If Senate Democrats are signaling that they don't have major objections, then I expect that Jeffries won't officially oppose it either.  He'll probably allow purple district Democrats to vote in its favor to offset Republican defections.

Regarding House Democratic support:

Privately, several House Democrats are predicting there will be enough support on their side to pass the measure. But Johnson is already facing serious pushback from his right, in the first sign of division between the new speaker and the ultra-conservative wing of the GOP who cheered on his ascension to the top spot.

And if Johnson’s GOP can’t provide enough procedural votes to actually tee up the stopgap measure as soon as Tuesday, it will fail — forcing his leadership team back to the drawing board with just days to go. The first signal on that could come later Monday, when the House Rules Committee meets on the bill.  

House Democrats have not yet devised a voting strategy, though there is not “mass opposition right now” to the plan, according to one Democratic member. The party would prefer it include aid for Israel and Ukraine, and dislikes that the GOP is proposing two separate deadlines to complete the rest of its appropriations work, but three members said their party was likely to help pass it. Still, some senior Democratic appropriators like ranking member Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) and Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) have already come out publicly against it.

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, Whip Katherine Clark (D-Mass.) and Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar (D-Calif.) signaled they would keep their options open on the stopgap bill, telling colleagues in a Monday letter: "At this time, we are carefully evaluating the proposal set forth by Republican leadership and discussing it with Members."

Party leaders are all scheduled to meet Monday evening as lawmakers return to Washington. So far, one thing is clear: While Democrats may back final passage of the bill, the party is not likely to help out on a necessary procedural hurdle, known as a vote on the rule. Republicans will have to find a way to clear that on their own.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Schumer just indicated that he has no significant objections to Johnson's CR.

If Senate Democrats are signaling that they don't have major objections, then I expect that Jeffries won't officially oppose it either.  He'll probably allow purple district Democrats to vote in its favor to offset Republican defections.

Am I good or what?!? :p

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4307730-jeffries-says-democrats-might-support-gop-stopgap-funding-bill/

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) suggested Monday that Democrats may support the Republicans’ short-term funding bill to prevent a government shutdown — a sharp change of tone that could pave the way for easy passage when the bill hits the floor on Tuesday. 

In a letter to all House Democrats, Jeffries stopped short of saying party leaders are ready to endorse the GOP proposal, known as a continuing resolution (CR), which was introduced by Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) over the weekend.

But he also didn’t rule it out. 

“At this time, we are carefully evaluating the proposal set forth by Republican leadership and discussing it with Members,” Jeffries wrote.

The letter marks a sharp change of tone from just last week, when Democratic leaders had skewered Republicans for floating a “laddered” budget approach, which carves government funding into separate pots to be considered on different timetables. 

McCarthy elbowed another GOP rep "in the kidneys" while the rep was giving an interview to a NPR journalist Claudia Grisales.  The rep then chased after McCarthy  She corroborated the entire event.

Have NEVER seen this on Capitol Hill: 

While talking to @RepTimBurchett after the GOP conference meeting, former @SpeakerMcCarthy walked by with his detail and McCarthy shoved Burchett. Burchett lunged towards me. I thought it was a joke, it was not. And a chase ensued...

Burchett then looked back at me and said, "jerk" referring to McCarthy. I asked if he had done that before, Burchett said "no." 

That's when the chase ensued. Burchett took off after McCarthy and his detail. I chased behind with my mic.

Burchett con't: "You got no guts, you did so, ...the reporter said it right there, what kind of chicken move is that? You're pathetic man, you are so pathetic." 

Burchett starts to walk away from McCarthy, tells me, "What a jerk," and then yells back, "You need security Kevin!"

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

McCarthy elbowed another GOP rep "in the kidneys" while the rep was giving an interview to a NPR journalist Claudia Grisales.  The rep then chased after McCarthy  She corroborated the entire event.

48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can't begin to express how upset I am that there's seemingly no video of this.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I can't begin to express how upset I am that there's seemingly no video of this.

What about video of this instead?

GOP senator challenges Teamsters president to fight during hearing

Oklahoma Sen. Markwayne Mullin (R), a former mixed martial arts fighter, nearly came to blows with the president of the Teamsters at a Senate hearing on Tuesday, forcing Chair Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to step in to stop a brawl from breaking out in the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee room.  

Mullin challenged International Brotherhood of Teamsters general president Sean O’Brien to a fight on the spot after the senator read aloud O’Brien’s tweets calling him out as a “clown” and a “fraud.”  

“Sir, this is a time, this is a place. You want to run your mouth, we can be two consenting adults, we can finish it here,” Mullin said from the hearing room dais. 

“OK, that’s fine. Perfect,” O’Brien shot back. 

“You want to do it now?” Mullin asked. “Stand your butt up then.” 

“You stand your butt up,” O’Brien retorted, prompting Mullin, who is 46 years old, to stand up from his chair as if he was preparing to spring into the middle of the hearing room to trade blows with the Teamster.  

At that point, Sanders tried to take control of the hearing to stop an impromptu cage match from breaking out. 

At that point, Sanders tried to take control of the hearing to stop an impromptu cage match from breaking out. 

“Hold it. No, no, no, sit down. Sit down! You’re a United State senator, sit down,” Sanders yelled while banging the gavel to restore order in the room.  

“This is a hearing. God knows the American people have enough contempt for Congress, let’s not —” Sanders fumed before being cut off by more bellicose crosstalk between Mullin and O’Brien.  

Then Mullin tried to challenge the Teamsters official to a real cage match with the proceeds going to charity but Sanders gabbed the mic to interrupt his Republican colleague.  

“Excuse me, hold it. Sen. Mullin, I have the mic. If you have questions on any economic issues, anything that was said, go for it. We’re not here to talk about physical abuse,” Sanders said.  

The purpose of the hearing, which was called for by Sanders, was show how unions are improving the lives of working families.  

• Haha 3

Buck: Kevin McCarthy and lying are like peanut butter and jelly (The Hill)

Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) accused former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) of consistently lying in comments Tuesday.

“Kevin McCarthy and lying are like peanut butter and jelly,” Buck said in a CNN interview when asked about McCarthy’s response to an accusation by Rep. Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) that the former speaker elbowed him in a Capitol hallway Tuesday.

I guess it's time to take a little break from doing all that hard work of absolutely nothing at all.

Another House spending bill goes down amid rebellion in ranks, as Rs take down the commerce, justice and science approps bill. It’s the third bill to stall under Speaker Johnson. Now the House is poised to leave until after Thanksgiving after this vote series.

• Sicko 1